Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello, I am new to the board and have a question . Does any one know how to

disconnect the linked brakes on an 06? Or what is needed to do it,I need them to work independently.

Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site starjak! :waving::waving:

It probably can be done but will take some work because the link system is somewhat complicated, much more so than the earlier model 'Wings. Why do you need them separated if I may ask?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Starjak.

If this is your first 'Wing, I suggest you give the linked brakes a chance. They work pretty well and changing them may be impossible to do without compromising braking efficiency.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Also...the front master cylinder is sized to operate only one front caliper, while the rear master cylinder is sized to operate two (one front and one rear). If you unlink them and hook them up to run traditionally, the front master cylinder will not have enough volume to properly actuate both front calipers, and the rear will have too much to actuate the single rear caliper.

So it's a bit more than doing some plumbing - you'll have to source and replace new master cylinders as well.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks for the welcome, Yes itis my first wing the last big bike i got off of was a k 1200 lt. I have about 38 years of seat time on bikes the linked brakes bother me with slow maneuvers and when trail-braking. The wing is an awesome machine i just got off a four day 1500 mile ride in 4 days it was outstanding.

I was able to put 850 miles on the oem suspension and figured out that something

needed attention while on the brakes stopping for a light over rough terrain i found out Honda's anti diveand i arewere notgoing to get along..

To me, the suspension really needed help, i got that done, traxxion suspension helped this bike so much i would recommend this to any one it is a different bike now.

After the suspension &steering head bearings were done i met a friend to help him stake off his property in Ga. We needed to ride up a gravel fire road to get to it.

There is no way in my opinion stock suspension would have got there with out

shaking the fairing apart. All i hear nowis pussssshhh! The fairing did not make a sound.

On the highway this thing is planted verses when i rode up.. in the long sweepers

the wing seemed not to want to hold its line very well but it sure does now. When i returned home i put my girl on i did not tell her where i had been on our ride i hit every thing i could find when returning home she asked me did you put on a tire or something? Why i asked ? She said we have been over those tracks 50 times and

every time i get ready for them this time i never felt them. Humm yes mam its the tire

Ithought man if she only knew lol

Cheers

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

Do all wings have linked brakes? I've got a 1980 1100. If it's got them I'm going to have to add something to my "to do" list.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome starjak . I hope you find this forum friendly and useful . Ride safe and visit often .

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

"No, they started in 1983. All wings from 1983 onwards have them."
Well that's good then, thanks.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
imported post

Unlinking the brakes could be done, I think, by just blocking off the rear line to the front left caliper and the front line to the rear caliper which does not work off the front master cylinder but from the auxiliary cylinder on the left fork, the same one that works the anti-dive. If you can find some solid bolts the same size as the banjo bolts, put teflon tape on the threads and just switch them.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
imported post

Champion trikes does it on their solid axle 1800 trikes. if you check gl1800 revision 10 you can see what they do to unlink the system without changing reservoirs.
http://championtrikes.com/default.asp?Page=47&FSL4_RUNSEARCH=TRUE&FSL4_KSEARCH=%
Heres a link to their PDF files for their trikes. I wouldnt unlink the 1800s brakes I would rather learn the nature of the beast.If youve ever seen an 1800 display team you wouldnt believe on what can be done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.