Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
19.2 has missed the intended release date.
it seems that some of the developers are feeling they are not appreciated for all of the hours of work, stress on their family's lives, etc...

I have commented here several times that 19.x is NOT ready for a dependable desktop yet.... I will stay with 18.3 as it is well honed, and smooth as oiled glass.

Donations seems to be lower than normal, although I have no numbers to support that thought..... just what I read in this blog post.

https://betanews.com/2019/04/01/linux-mint-depressed/

the final release will be 19.3, as all previous releases have stuck to that schedule.

gonna be a slippery slope and two of the main developers have disappeared.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
I have 19.1Xfce on a stand alone hdd, it is the only OS I have other than 7 that will play the Pogo game site. I'm sure 19.2 will be out it just takes time. If the people doing the work are volunteers it's turning into a job for them.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are all volunteers, there is not one soul who gets a salary.
that really says something about the Mint Community.
the forum is the best of the Linux support forums from my perspective, honest help, with a lack of "any idiot ought to know that" type crap. which is a real put off for most of us.

This is Clem's latest blog, I had not read this last release, it appears that he has fixed a lot of things that bothered me.

so, hopefully, when 19.3 is released I will be able to use it.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
Why are they even doing this, trying to be microsoft and change for changes sake? I'm certainly not a computer guru but I can't find any need to change from 18.3.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why are they even doing this, trying to be microsoft and change for changes sake? I'm certainly not a computer guru but I can't find any need to change from 18.3.

it is just progression in increasing the capability of the OS.
Better features, that can accommodate WINE which is a sub-layer to let people run their Windows Games urp!!!

it has huge improvements in the Windows Manager ( not MSloth, the open windows ) ..... 18.3 and older versions also support many open windows at the same time, but, and this I can vouch for, sometimes a hidden window grabs control of the keyboard and mouse, and I loose control of my laptop.
not often, but it does happen enough to irk me.

what I have found, is to always close out any web browser before you close the lid on a laptop. it hangs it up nearly every time. why? dunno, but have found just killing Firefox or other browser fixes the problem.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
As John found out with his new super computer newer hardware can be a problem with older versions.
It can run anywhere from some things just don't work properly to it can't install because it doesn't recognize the hardware..

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As John found out with his new super computer newer hardware can be a problem with older versions.
It can run anywhere from some things just don't work properly to it can't install because it doesn't recognize the hardware..

yeah, my ardor for that "super fast" laptop has taken a real chill pill.
should have found a really decent model 2 years old instead.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a video that explains my own perception of why I settled on Linux Mint, instead of any of the other Linux distros.

Essentially, it is that Mint works everyday, I don't have to mess with it, and it is always up todate with security.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clem just released a few minutes ago, the update info for 19.2

all I can is Wowzer is it ever going to be nice!!!

Duplicate file info, and Duplicate Apps info is shown in the Menus now for 19.2

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3766

IF, you feel you can afford $1.00 or $5.00 or more, please help keep Linux Mint free of charge, unlike Redhat and other versions.

https://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Hmm, no one has asked me to pay to download Mageia.:surprise:
Also unlike Mint (As far as I can tell) Mageia has a separate repository for proprietary software so you can use all Free Open Source Software if you want.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts