Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
somehow, I missed the release notice,
I just decided tonight to go read Clem's Blog and see if anything is new.

and there it was, so, I downloaded 19.2 Cinnamon ISO and will be trying to get it to install on my newest ASUS TUF Gaming laptop.

I hope that it contains updated Video Drivers so that I can put it on that laptop.

from what I saw of 19.1 it is not as user friendly as 18.3

but, to each their own.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3773

·
103 Posts
Thanks for reminder , I read blog long time ago and already forgot about what the new update covers.

·
103 Posts
somehow, I missed the release notice,
I just decided tonight to go read Clem's Blog and see if anything is new.

and there it was, so, I downloaded 19.2 Cinnamon ISO and will be trying to get it to install on my newest ASUS TUF Gaming laptop.

I hope that it contains updated Video Drivers so that I can put it on that laptop.

from what I saw of 19.1 it is not as user friendly as 18.3

but, to each their own.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3773

Isn't this still Beta ?

or I went to wrong place to download , it shows Beta for me.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it stays 'Beta' until release #3 which will be 19.3

it is that way for every new version.
X.2 is always better than the initial release.

they do this because it is impossible for a small team to thoroughly check out every conceivable instance where something could go wrong.

so it is released "as Beta" so that users will be informed that when something goes awry, to please post of the problem so it can be resolved.

when all seems to be doing well, they release X.3 and then all updates are related to Security Issues. all releases are guaranteed lifetime of 5 years.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sad to say, that 19.2 does not have the graphics drivers for my ASUS TUF laptop.
the install craps out immediately...

prints out two lines of errors and then it just stops dead.... no kybd response at all.
have to use the BIOS timeout to kill the PC.

this is very sad... I am going to try LMDE3 and see if that works, that is Debian, not Mint but still from Clem and his Mint team.

·
Magic Moderator
4,530 Posts
You may have to wait for 19.3 Cinnamon. I know you don't like the Xfce version but have you given it a try? For some reason the lower versions work better on some laptops.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may have to wait for 19.3 Cinnamon. I know you don't like the Xfce version but have you given it a try? For some reason the lower versions work better on some laptops.
it is going to have the same Kernel, so the graphics drivers will most likely be the same.

P10 won't install either, giving the same errrors as Mint.

·
Magic Moderator
4,530 Posts
You must have fought with that laptop well into the morning.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a real odd laptop and almost like its 'Locked'.
yes, I fussed with it way late into the wee hours,
the BIOS has the OEM SSD totally locked out of view from any foreign OS.

when the Linux install is running, it can't even see the primary SSD, only the 2nd SSD that I installed in the optional HDD tray.

I have never seen that before.

·
Magic Moderator
4,530 Posts
That's really protecting the hard drive from being tampered with. Windows10 is protecting its asset. Did you get some version of Linux to work on it?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's really protecting the hard drive from being tampered with. Windows10 is protecting its asset. Did you get some version of Linux to work on it?
Mageia came the closest, it actually appeared to fully install, the GUI was up and running, then when it said to "remove install media and reboot", Linux crashed.

having thought about it now for a while, I am thinking the BIOS is not allowing access to foreign OS's period.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It's likely encrypted. This is a function of the BIOS, not Windows 10. There's probably some security settings in the BIOS. Once set, that encryption is permanent unless you completely wipe the drive.

A lot of newer machines are doing this in the interest of laptop security, the idea is to prevent access of the system drive by booting any live OS, and to prevent access by removing the system drive and connecting it to another computer.

If you were to pull that system drive out and put in another drive you could most likely see it. Might have to twiddle the security settings in BIOS. Be very careful doing this, you will likely make your system drive unreadable, too. I'd recommend doing a FULL BACKUP of the system drive before doing ANYTHING like this first so your system can be restored if something goes awry.

You won't be able to decrypt the system drive, but making it an external drive and doing a low-level format (wiping EVERYTHING) should restore the drive to out-of-the-box unencrypted state.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's likely encrypted. This is a function of the BIOS, not Windows 10. There's probably some security settings in the BIOS. Once set, that encryption is permanent unless you completely wipe the drive.

A lot of newer machines are doing this in the interest of laptop security, the idea is to prevent access of the system drive by booting any live OS, and to prevent access by removing the system drive and connecting it to another computer.

If you were to pull that system drive out and put in another drive you could most likely see it. Might have to twiddle the security settings in BIOS. Be very careful doing this, you will likely make your system drive unreadable, too. I'd recommend doing a FULL BACKUP of the system drive before doing ANYTHING like this first so your system can be restored if something goes awry.

You won't be able to decrypt the system drive, but making it an external drive and doing a low-level format (wiping EVERYTHING) should restore the drive to out-of-the-box unencrypted state.
I had already thought to replace the OEM SSD, and save it.
But, it is buried underneath so much copper pipe cooling stuff that it is invisible. I can't find it w/o taking the laptop totally apart.

when I opened it up, that is when I discovered that it has a 2nd HDD tray available. I dropped in a 120gB SSD that I already had on hand.

if that works, I would replace that with a 500gB or 1TB SSD.

this review shows the bottom side of the laptop, it is for last year's model, but looks the same as this one.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/19725-asus-tuf-fx504ge-review/

·
Magic Moderator
4,530 Posts
Holy Hanna! that's a gigantic heat sink. The second hdd slot is that the rectangular metal lid next to the right cooling fan?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy Hanna! that's a gigantic heat sink. The second hdd slot is that the rectangular metal lid next to the right cooling fan?
IIRC,
you are right. been a long time now since I installed it.
the dimensions don't look right though, it installed as a standard 2.5" HDD,
so I believe that the picture has chopped off a 1/3rd of the PC board.

·
Magic Moderator
4,530 Posts
Opening up a Dell E6410 is 'Tinkerer Friendly' and you don't mind swapping stuff. That looks more like barbed wire and don't touch.

·
Magic Moderator
4,530 Posts
I went and looked at the website and found the complete pic of the interior and it shows a hdd in the lower right. What's really under that metal lid? I wonder where the primary hdd is hidden? Is the lower right where you installed a hard drive or is it the main one?

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Circled in red is your system drive, it is not a form factor you are used to. Called SATA M.2

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ah!!!

I remember seeing that little vertical piece of silicon now.
I thought it was the memory chips... those must be up top under the metal piece.

the lower right, is where I slid in the 120gB SSD. would have used a bigger one, but those got used up

I'm wondering now, if I replaced that SATA M.2 SSD with a blank one, if the BIOS would let me install Linux on it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts