Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
It should, but putting a blank drive in might wipe the encryption keys in the BIOS needed to access the drive that's in there. Best to do a full system backup first so you can restore it if needed.

Might want to do that anyway, you could restore the system to an unencrypted drive.

·
Magic Moderator
4,527 Posts
The item circled in red is what's running the show? I don't think I'd want to tinker with that laptop, it doesn't look like much fun.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It should, but putting a blank drive in might wipe the encryption keys in the BIOS needed to access the drive that's in there. Best to do a full system backup first so you can restore it if needed.

Might want to do that anyway, you could restore the system to an unencrypted drive.
I make it a habit to always do a full Image Backup with Macrium Reflect, before doing anything with the OEM drives. got burnt not doing that a few decades back. :(

If I can get the main SSD to accept Linux, it will never see Win10 ever again. :laugh:

I ordered up a 1TB Sata m.2 SSD for it yesterday, got an email saying it is out of stock and will be a 7 day delay for shipping,,, guess I will have to wait a few more days to get this thing working right :crying2:

·
Registered
749 Posts
The item circled in red is what's running the show? I don't think I'd want to tinker with that laptop, it doesn't look like much fun.
It's still a SATA drive, new form factor. Since there's no "Spinny" parts in an SSD they can shape them any way they want for space saving. You just can't put any spinning rust drives in that slot.. :ROFL:

·
Magic Moderator
4,527 Posts
I can just imagine what an ssd would do for the Dell with the 2.67 processor. I currently run 7200rpm hdds. I thought those were fast. :surprise:

·
Administrator
59,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I can just imagine what an ssd would do for the Dell with the 2.67 processor. I currently run 7200rpm hdds. I thought those were fast. :surprise:
I have now been spoiled by SSDs.

I have a prior version of this ASUS TUF laptop, which I had forgotten that it was here... discovered it by accident, it was hidden in a closet.

had previously bought it for my daughter many years ago, but she said it way the gawd too heavy, and at 11 lbs, I have to agree... it has the same fast processor as this one, but still has the HDD that came with it....

by comparison to this new one, it is slow slow slow.

·
Administrator
59,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I make it a habit to always do a full Image Backup with Macrium Reflect, before doing anything with the OEM drives. got burnt not doing that a few decades back. :(

If I can get the main SSD to accept Linux, it will never see Win10 ever again. :laugh:

I ordered up a 1TB Sata m.2 SSD for it yesterday, got an email saying it is out of stock and will be a 7 day delay for shipping,,, guess I will have to wait a few more days to get this thing working right :crying2:
Well, blow me down..... just got this email:
Great news! Your Crucial memory order is packaged and ready to ship by Crucial UPS Mail Innovations. To check on the status of your shipment, click on the link below. You must reference your order number when checking on the status of your shipment.

·
Magic Moderator
4,527 Posts
That's great news. :claps: Now you should be able to get rid of Windows10.
I was looking at a Western Digital Blue SSD earlier today and it costs a little bit more than the WD Black HDD that I like.
The laptop you have is as heavy as that Dell Precision I looked at. Trust me I liked it but my finances were no way and so my price range of under $75.00 applied and I got another E6410, I was looking for an E6510.

·
Registered
749 Posts
All three of the main computers I use around here have been converted to SSD for the OS drives, it makes a HUGE difference. Of course, the data storage drives (a small bank of 2TB & 4TB drives) are still Spinny rust. A couple of the laptops are converted, too, and a few days ago I went to MicroCenter and picked up a small stack of 240GB SSD (on sale, $25 ea) to convert three more of them and another desktop PC.

7200 RPM Spinny drives are pretty fast, but you'd be amazed what an SSD will do for a laptop. I have a Dell E6400 and a few older D620's here, one of the D620s got an SSD some time ago and boots Win7 blazingly fast! Yeah, I Know, "Windoze". But I'm a Systems Administrator at work and everything I do is tied to Windows apps, I'm kinda stuck with it. There is some Linux around here though, mostly Debian and a couple flavors of Ubuntu, but those are VMs and one laptop.

The brand-new Dell Precision top-of-the-line corporate-issued laptop boots Windows 10 reasonably fast, what slows it down is all the required Corporate "Bloatware" and "Group Policies" it has to load at startup, thankfully it has an M.2 SSD, it would probably take a half-hour to boot from a Spinny drive.....

Reactions: trike lady

·
Magic Moderator
4,527 Posts
I have Windows7Pro and there doesn't seem to be any nonsense in it and I do have Windows Vista as well.
Even used the Dell Precision was out of my price range at $305.00. My recently received red Dell E6410 has only 4RAM and when my Social Security deposits I'll be getting 8RAM its slow @$$.
May do a fresh install of Peppermint9 on the SSD or go for Peppermint10.
:smile2:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts