Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this release has been out a long time now, and it still has some very severe issues.
Just saw a mention about how much power it is using from the battery if not on a/c power.

It seems to me, that LM20 has had a much higher percentage of complaints than any of the previous versions at this point in its' life.....

20.1 has not been released yet, and they better hurry, April is drop dead date for 20.3

I have it installed on an older version of this ASUS TUF Gaming laptop, it just feels 'clunky'.

a lot of apps won't work with it that have been working well in 17.x and 18.x

I just may let LM20 slide right on by and wait for LM 21 to see if they fixed things up by then.

I am just not one of those folks who has to have the latest 'new toy' to fuss with,
19.3 is perfect, works exactly like 18.3 did and does not crash ever that I can remember.

Old vs New: Part 2

Kind of like my 2001 Suburban, just drove it to the Post Office a few minutes ago, and every time I drive that truck, I think to myself, " It feels like a new truck, it drives like a new truck, why pay money for something that does not give me anything better except for a splashy new paint job? and Fancy Seats? "

It has a 4x4 drive system, works like a new one does, perfect for backing up the Toy Hauler, as it will just creep along on Idle and not have to press on the gas and have the whole rig jump too fast. I remember when we took it and the Toy Hauler on our Florida trip, almost 5,000 miles and it drove like a charm..... one of the camp sites was sort of crude, no gravel anywhere, just a pasture and it rained hard the night before we left..... just put it in 4x4 Low and crawled out of there without even slipping a wheel.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
I am just not one of those folks who has to have the latest 'new toy' to fuss with,
19.3 is perfect, works exactly like 18.3 did and does not crash ever that I can remember.

Old vs New: Part 2

Kind of like my 2001 Suburban, just drove it to the Post Office a few minutes ago, and every time I drive that truck, I think to myself, " It feels like a new truck, it drives like a new truck, why pay money for something that does not give me anything better except for a splashy new paint job? and Fancy Seats? "
Same here. Still running 18.3 and still driving my 94 chevy.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
I have the Linux Mint 20.0 on an external hard drive and have tested it and I'm not at all happy with it. It takes too long to boot from the hard drive even when installed in the computer as a primary drive. I'll keep the 19.3 it works. :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not booted up the LM20 laptop in months, it pains me to even look at it....
I need to turn it on, and let it update again, and then see how it feels.

as I recall, it was slow slow slow booting up the last time.

·
Son of Bronson
125 Posts
I'm running LM 19.1 and it seems to be fine.
I was 'thinking' about upgrading to 20, but after seeing the
comments from you guys, I think I'll stop thinking about it. LOL!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running LM 19.1 and it seems to be fine.
I was 'thinking' about upgrading to 20, but after seeing the
comments from you guys, I think I'll stop thinking about it. LOL!!
doing the UPGRADE PATH IS A NO NO BIG TIME.
it makes a Mish Mash of two different systems, and always results in pain and suffering.

totally unneeded.
back up all of your /home/ documents, downloads if special and not related to LM19

nothing that is LM19 will work with LM20, a major PITA.

Do a complete Fresh Install and allow the installer to erase the whole disk, UNLESS, you have a reason to retain something in a separate Parittion.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
I purchased a POS Walmart computer from a neighbor, removed W10 and installed Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon. I refused to aggravate myself with Linux Mint 20. Its a slow @$$ laptop with a 1.9 Intel Centrino processor and 4RAM. Tom had a dislike for Walmart computers and I can see why. They are made as cheap as possible and in order to get to the hard drive I have to take the whole thing apart.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have more patience than I do.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
I offered $40.00 for the laptop and then had to search for a service manual to work on it. Its a pita and one reason why I like the Dell Latitude E6410 or E6510 as all the components are easy to get to. I hope I never have to replace the hard drive in it, its no wonder people dispose of Walmart laptops rather than repair them. My neighbor's grand daughter left a bunch of stuff with her and she told her grand daughter she wasn't going to hold the stuff any more and was going to toss the laptop and the other items.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, since the temp here is 20* I might as well down load it
Or just let the laptop update.
It has not been on for awhile

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well,
I thought I would install a SSD into the old ASUS G53S laptop

geez st marie, look at what you have to do to get to it.

not going to happen today, that is just plain stupid.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
That's nuts, it is as bad as the Walmart laptop I have that requires almost the whole machine to be disassembled to replace the hard drive. It's a challenge to get into and a project. You'll need a good set of precision screw drivers, as the cheap ones ruin the screws.
I installed 'WINE' on the test laptop to work with programs that only work on Windows.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, that G53S laptop, I booted it up today to see what was on it, thinking I will just let LM20 update.

I did NOT recognize the Desktop, there was no info anywhere to tell me what version of Linux was installed on it.
That tells me, that LM 20 frustrated me so much, I decided to try and find something different to run on that old laptop.

it has big HDD, and it is slow beyond belief..... I can't imagine thinking that it was fast when I bought it.
I bought it purposely because it was the "best gaming laptop" on the market at the time.....
should have found a YouTube video to see how hard it would be to upgrade the stuff inside...

I have the special screwdrivers, bought them last year when I was working on a lot of laptops for my sister and other friends.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
Just think back in the day it was fast and by today's standards its a snail. The one I bought from Faye is a joke with an obsolete Intel Centrino processor with 1.9GHz of speed and 4RAM. I wouldn't dare try to feed it Linux Mint Cinnamon 20, it is doing good with the 19.3. I believe once you open a laptop like that it would be a good time for maintenance and an upgrade, hopefully it doesn't have DDR2 memory as the prices I've seen for used ones are crazy. I'll bet that was an expensive laptop when you bought it and it was put together like a Walmart throw away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts