Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What version of Linux are members here using?
My roommates husband put Linux Mint 18.1 Serena Cinnamon Edition in an old laptop and is tailoring it to work like Windows 7.
I have XP on the Itronix Go Book 3 and will not give it up. I like XP and I'm sure that I am not alone.
:smile2:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I tried the Cinnamon desktop which some say is like Windows and just don't see it.:surprise:

I'm using Mageia5 with KDE4 desktop, but any Linux distribution can be made to work.

·
Magic Moderator
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like xp above anything else I've tried.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
I'm with you with XP.
I gave up on Xubuntu long ago, I got frustrated with it.
It seems to work well for those who are computer savvy and know how to make it work.
XP and 7 that's it for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Back when I was working in the semiconductor industry we used RedHat on our workstations, but had to run a windows emulator because the engineering community ran on linux but the administrative community ran on windows - what a pain! Now, after retirement, I tried to be happy with windows, from XP up to 8.1 but it kept getting more and more bloated, and ran sllower. Last year I finally loaded up a laptop with Mint Cinnamon and it runs a LOT faster than windows ever did.

I still keep a windows bootup available for the programs I use that only work on windows, but for about 90% of my stuff it's Linux Mint for me! It does take some time to get familiar with it, but if you persevere you'll like the power that it gives you.

·
Administrator
57,515 Posts
I have a laptop with Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon desktop and it looks just like Windows, and feels like Windows.

I use Win7Home premium on my desktop PC which has a 24 inch monitor. that is my main PC for use. it has blockers on it to keep Win10 from being installed.

·
Magic Moderator
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, he stayed up all night and got it to work they way he wanted it to.
The computer can play the Pandora account, on line games and Netflix.

·
Banned
500 Posts
mint and fedora here. laptop had dual boot winxp and linux fedora, but motherboard cracked after running all day everyday for 10 years. gonna have to set desktop up to dual boot when i get around to it. only use window for gizmos that have proprietary wares because the company will not share code.

·
Administrator
57,515 Posts
Val,

I now have two laptops on Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon and very satisfied.

I started to install 18.x but it was early in the release and some problems showed up.

Those have been fixed.

I have tried the other versions of Linux and they all require you to think Linux. And I am not going to do that.

I have an old Panasonic Toughbook with only 512 mb of memory, probably not a good test bed, as it would be using the hard drive a lot. But I might put 18.x. on that.

·
Banned
500 Posts
Val,

I now have two laptops on Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon and very satisfied.

I started to install 18.x but it was early in the release and some problems showed up.

Those have been fixed.

I have tried the other versions of Linux and they all require you to think Linux. And I am not going to do that.

I have an old Panasonic Toughbook with only 512 mb of memory, probably not a good test bed, as it would be using the hard drive a lot. But I might put 18.x. on that.
try puppylinux for those limited resources.

·
Magic Moderator
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm thinking of purchasing an external hard drive and loading Linux Mint on that and then do away with the dual boot on the Windows7. Then I can use it between the 7 and XP machines.
I got frustrated with the Xubuntu as it wasn't quite as user friendly as they claimed it was. The Linux Mint computer that I tried seemed to work fine, I think he installed 18.1 on it.
I was looking at the prices of used Apple Computers on fleabay and I cannot see paying $500.00 for a used computer, I think I paid $40.00 for the old Itronix from fleabay and it works well.

·
Administrator
57,515 Posts
I got frustrated with the Xubuntu as it wasn't quite as user friendly as they claimed it was. The Linux Mint computer that I tried seemed to work fine, I think he installed 18.1 on it.

I agree, I tried several distros and none of them are "user friendly". they all require that you already know Linux and be familiar with the command line...

·
Magic Moderator
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since the Linux Mint is the closest to 7 it might be the best choice for me. I have zero computer programming skills and would only make a big mess that would possibly render the computer useless.

·
Magic Moderator
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you. Will have a look at the offerings and give the selected ones a try. I'm not too happy with the Xubuntu currently on my computer now.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Thank you. Will have a look at the offerings and give the selected ones a try. I'm not too happy with the Xubuntu currently on my computer now.
I have no experience with Debian derivatives (Ubuntu) but with Redhat derivatives I can install multiple desktop environments and choose which one to run.

Perhaps you could install the Cinnamon desktop on Xubuntu and run it instead of Xfce desktop.

·
Banned
500 Posts
ken, you can easily switch desktop environments in allmost all distros these days. ubuntu lacks a few drivers and codecs that dont "just work" so windows users dont want to learn how ro click the package manager or click a linky like apt-get or rpm or git, etc.

mint for the most part "just works. you install and start clicking stuff, like windows.......except without the resouce drain or viri, or other frustrations.

so, always recommending mint with mate-cinnamon DE allows new migrants from windows to have a look around linux without the fear of their box going up in smoke........which it wont, but they dont know. i emember trying to learn linux in mid 90's. i wanted to open a serious can of whoopass on the PC everytime i loaded a different distro. redmon, lindows, and other windows -like distros were pretty, and things clicked like windows, but still a nightmare for newby me. mint cures that. no kernel to build, just clicky and wait 10 minutes and you have installed linux that works!!!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Yes claydbal I do know how Linux package management works.

Looking at Mint it looks like it's just a way to install ubuntu with a different set of default packages.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Banned
500 Posts
yes, you are right. with mint, it installs ALL packages that a modern, millennial may want. it will get them going nicely. in windows we use to call it bloatware. mint is a resource hog, not as bad as windows, but really eats the ram.

have you looked at the new redhat varients like kedora? i really like them, but........ some can be a pain for config things like video cards and wifi-devices with broadcom chipsets. the newest fedora is really cool!

steam is coming on strong. if'n you are into the whole media/game thingy.

then there is opensuse. its what im playing with now.

most of those windows users that have fear of linux dont realize that android, mac, others, are linux base. windows 10 is more linux like than linux is windows like. if you sat down at a mint 18.1 box, the average joe would think it was windows...albeit without the security/virus/malware risks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.