Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
57,472 Posts
yes, you are right. with mint, it installs ALL packages that a modern, millennial may want. it will get them going nicely. in windows we use to call it bloatware. mint is a resource hog, not as bad as windows, but really eats the ram.

I have been noticing that it seems that Mint needs more RAM than the old bare Linux packages that I installed many years ago.... it will not install on my old Toughbook that only has a 256 mb hard drive, and 256 mB of RAM.

==========================

most of those windows users that have fear of linux dont realize that android, mac, others, are linux base. windows 10 is more linux like than linux is windows like. if you sat down at a mint 18.1 box, the average joe would think it was windows...albeit without the security/virus/malware risks.
I have been very suspicious of this for some time now, just have not even looked at Win10 even once.... but, I have been "reading the mail" in the usergroups and have seen comments like this before.

the one basic one that I have noted is that "Win10 " is the "last version number" ??

they will just be upgrading the packages that make it run... ie Unix/Linux

·
Banned
500 Posts
AZ, linux isnt hard on ram. the browsers are hard on ram! there is no current browser that will rum with 256 megs ram. everyone wants ding, ding, pretty pictures popping up, facebook, etc. i.e. advertising. its just like going to walmart. lol or the fair...and getting mired. imagine people as bloatware, or viri and yourself as RAM, and you are in a hurry to check out and get the heck out of walmart. here come the zombies to block the isles. the dummy you are behind at the checkout is arguing over price, and the person behind you is pushing you with their cart. if you were windows, you would self implode! if you weere linux, you would look around, see and empty checkout, and get the heck out of there.

the only crash you will ever see (not really a crash, just a huge gulp of memory lol ) in linux is caused by the browser. but get a cup of coffee and problem will solve itself. windows WILL actually crash/lock/ gotta reboot.

yep to the devils deal made by microsoft and the mint teams. now mint will have all the buried spy ability as windows! tis why im learning the redhat, suse derivatives. they are much better, and very workable these days.

now if my tv would quit fainting when switching apps......grrrrrr!

·
Magic Moderator
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Fedora looks interesting. When I can get my hands on some DVDs I'll try them in live mode and install it on its own hard drive.

·
Administrator
57,472 Posts
I might try that on my old Toughbook with the minimalistic hardware.... it is 15 years old I think.

all I will ever do with it is a browser and possibly an editor for forum use to copy/paste stuff.

LXDE is not designed to be powerful and bloated, but to be usable and slim. A main goal of LXDE is to keep computer resource usage low. It is especially designed for computers with low hardware specifications like netbooks, mobile devices (e.g. MIDs) or older computers.

·
Banned
500 Posts
I might try that on my old Toughbook with the minimalistic hardware.... it is 15 years old I think.

all I will ever do with it is a browser and possibly an editor for forum use to copy/paste stuff.
john, if running internet browser on bare resources, really consider puppy linux or damn small linux. puppy is like putting turbo on that dinosaur hardware! i keep it on a thumbdrive and can boot up anywhere on anybodies puter.

·
Banned
500 Posts
trike lady, a lot of the 64bit will work on a 32 system. just give it a try on a live cd before installing. note: live cd is misleading. you can put the iso on a bootable thumbdrive and it will work better than cd (dvd for most(. this allows you to play with linux without consequence. its just called live cd. you can also use portable hard drive.

lice cd will be slower than a permanent install as the operating system has to be read from disk, or thumbdrive.

example, i can go to your house, insert my drive, boot your computer into linux without corrupting windows. i can save files to your windows hard drive, my thumbdrive, even copy your windows files to my drive, bring it home and load your windows files on my linux box. i can also look at your corrupted windows file structure and fix it! or recover your files from your non booting windows box (corrupted windows OS. you can even remove your hard drive and i can boot your puter from my drive and look at your hardware, or to test your hardware, etc:

want security? put your finances on thumbdrive booted to linux. when done, pull drive. no way blackhats can get your info unless they dig in your pockets!

when you decide which distro you wanna try longer. clicky the install icon and load the linux os onto your hard drive and dual boot along side windows. or even better, wipe windows and never look back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
500 Posts
yep, sure. but you are right too. most of the app/ware has not been updated in browsers. i would go with 64 bit if ya got a lot of ram. but really, if i had a 32 system and light on ram, then 32 bit, and not the newest distros. thats why i recommend the tiny/damnsmall/and puppy derivatives. they come loaded with browsers that work well witth the bare resource stuff.

try running windoes on half a gig of ram/1gh processor with firefox browser with lots of flash going on. this forum would crash it in a few minutes.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.