Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

little race with a car

905 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  bbach 
#1 ·
imported post

Hi everybody,
tonight I had a little race with a car. He pulled up to me at a traffic light, turned green and I gave my horse the heels...:action: He kept up with me in the beginning, but in second and third gear I beat the sh.. out of him. But afterward I felt kinda foolish and I hope I won´t do it again. Does it hurt the motor if you go into the red scale (I couldn´t look, had my eyes on the road).
My GL1500 has 85kmiles on it, and maybe I should be a little careful.
Normaly I drive careful, but here in Germany everyone drives speedy (Autobahn=highway has no speed limits).

#2 ·
imported post

I don't think you did any damage if you did a typical hard running through the gears, where you hit redline(or slightly over)then shifted, In fact, I think it's good for the motor to give it a good hard run through the gears once in a while, if the conditions are just right of course, AND fully armored (this is one of those "high"danger moments).;)

#4 ·
imported post

I can't believe you did that. That's just awful. I would never do such a thing. ;):action:

I've done the same thing a time or two. One day a young man had a sporty tricked out car and we ran hard from light to light for 2 or 3 lights. We were both grinning and laughing.

Another time I was behind a Corvette. He was playing and horsing the car pretty hard. So I thought I would play too. I tried keeping up... Do you know how powerful Corvettes are? I don't think he even knew I was there, but I couldn't touch him.

Regarding the high rps and horsing the bike like that, the Goldwing is a true motorcycle at heart. It can take it. The 1500 has a low red line, significantly lower than the earlier 4 cylinder wings. But it also has a rev limiter. I have hit my rev limiter a few times on my bike. It does it's job and protects the engine just fine. I've never hit it on purpose, but there has been more than one occasion that I have been in second gear when I thought I was in third, and I was getting on the interstate in heavy traffic. When I get into heavy traffic, I always hit the throttle really hard and get up to speed "right now." Well if I find myself to be in 2nd gear when I think I am in third, and I'm looking at the cars around me trying not to get run over, that red line comes up real quick. The first time it scared me. All of a sudden all the power just disappears. Not a good feeling when cars are coming up behind you at 75 mph. :cool:

#5 ·
imported post

Yeah geez, I had a 1984 GL1200, when I would get on the freeway ramp I would crank it up and she would just windout nice and get with it. I got a 1500 and did that andZOOOOMMMMIT WAS SPUTTERING AND ILOOKED AT THE TACHand she was maxed out like RIGHT NOW!!Was I on arocket?? Or did it just run out of rpms that quick?

Now I just ride a 1985 Limited, and if I go too fast my wife uses my ribs as a rev limiter.

#6 ·
imported post

I have found with any Honda that I've ever ridden that You'll roll up out of the power band LONG before you hit redline. So if you're climbing the gears hard, and you're...say...trying to stay in front of someone else doing the same thing, you'll shift as soon a the acceleration starts to taper off...which is around 7200 on my 1100. ;)

#7 ·
imported post

Nah, you didn't hurt it. The limiter comes in well before damage can occur.

I've done the same once or twice myself. :D A kid with a 5.0 Mustang tried me when I first got the bike. Dunno if he didn't know what he was doing, or missed a shift or what, but I buried him but good. He didn't even pull up next to me at the next light.

#8 ·
imported post

I used to blow cars away on a regular basis with my then new 1100 interstate. People could not believe how hard it would pull! I'm alot slower and wiser now, and I know my limits! It sure was fun, though! jimsjinx

#9 ·
imported post

I still to this day have to force myself to let off of it at times.... old habits.

You know what tho? I DO still rev it out sometimes. Just today I was practicing my Kenny Roberts impression on HWY 7 North here in my home state.

Feels good to drag pegs and knees once in a while.. or an occasional short "drag" up thru the gears.

I know.... I'm a bad boy.

#10 ·
imported post

My neighbour has a brand new black Mustang with probably a 5.0 engine. He is always goosing it as he leaves the house and I am sure that he thinks that my 1500 is no where near a match for his pony. I would love to take him on over a quarter mile of straight road, but I want to be sure that I will win too. He is a skilled driver and he will NOT miss a gear.

#11 ·
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
My neighbour has a brand new black Mustang with probably a 5.0 engine. He is always goosing it as he leaves the house and I am sure that he thinks that my 1500 is no where near a match for his pony. I would love to take him on over a quarter mile of straight road, but I want to be sure that I will win too. He is a skilled driver and he will NOT miss a gear.
...do it !!!
...and tell us how it ended :arguing:

#12 ·
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
I have found with any Honda that I've ever ridden that You'll roll up out of the power band LONG before you hit redline. So if you're climbing the gears hard, and you're...say...trying to stay in front of someone else doing the same thing, you'll shift as soon a the acceleration starts to taper off...which is around 7200 on my 1100. ;)
That's what I find on the 1800. If I'm in the mood for fast acceleration, say hitting the interstate on ramp, I get no where near the redline when I feel it's time to hit the next gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.