Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it take to live stream? If it is possible ( Motel wifi bandwidth ), I would like to try to stream NASR 12. What kind of hardware / software is necessary?

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
A cellphone is usually what is used, and you need a good strong 4g LTE signal.
Motels generally don't have a fast enough WiFi available to do Streaming.
Only experienced that once in a Dayton Hilton, they had 50Mbps WiFi... :surprise:

I would suggest that you take videos on a cellphone or video camera, and then upload them to YouTube or other web host. just looked and https://vimeo.com/ has a free video option.... I am not registered with them, but it looks okay.

Facebook has it incorporated in their app.

I accidentally started it up a few weeks ago, but with Satellite connection, it would falter.

I have since gotten rid of that ViaSat connection....
it was clunkier than what I could put up with.

I am now using a LTE modem on AT&T via www.OliveIP.com which costs $80/month, but you can take it with you, it is not left behind when you go to Rallys..... so it will be with us in Gallena, IL

it is awesome!!! speeds in the 10-20 Mbps download range at times... this one is the best I have seen.

this is average thru most of the day:

I have no clue as to what other devices can do Video Streaming...
not something that I have experimented with yet.

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
I just now joined Vimeo, and it is quite easy to use.

uploaded a very short video me me moving the mouse on my Desktop, and Drag 'n Drop a file to a folder..... not fancy, just a Demo

All I did was drop the URL into this post, and the Forum accepted it..
easy peasy

[ame]https://vimeo.com/315942297[/ame]

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
What does it take to live stream? If it is possible ( Motel wifi bandwidth ), I would like to try to stream NASR 12. What kind of hardware / software is necessary?
Ask Rudy, he did it at Nassir 5. Maybe he will find this thread.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
It's true.
I too suffered hotel wifi bandwidth pains.
I actually set up my own wifi routers outside on the buildings with the help of a few good riders.
I knew I needed low bandwidth on that system so I used original DropCams (now Nest). They were indoor units back then but there were no rules against taking them outside at that time. Now they have outdoor units as well.
You could reduce the bandwidth with those and as bad as it was, it worked a lot of the time. I left the feeds up around the clock. It was hot there so one was inside my room looking out the window just to keep it from overheating.
At the suggestion of a member I shut off the audio. Probably helped a little too.
Then I just published the URL for it so members could look in.
I also temporarily paid for a 30 day storage cycle so I didn't have to worry about recording it.
Funny thing is, nobody wanted the vids afterward anyway so I deleted them and cut off the storage plan.
It would have rocked using a 4g hotspot.

If I had to do it today, that's probably what I'd use. Hotspot + outdoor NestCam. Assuming I could afford the bandwidth, of course.

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
It's true.

Funny thing is, nobody wanted the vids afterward anyway so I deleted them and cut off the storage plan.
I have it on DVD around here somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts