Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey,

I need information if anyone has a loading dock in Conway, SC which is right outside of Myrtle Beach.

I'm moving from Pennsylvania to South Carolina 1-15 to 1-17.

When moving I rented a 24' truck and attempted to ride my Goldwing up the ramp in the snow. Needless to say, I had a little spill. There was minimal damage to the bike but I am aches and pains. And also very hesitant to ride the bike down the ramp. I only have the truck until the 18th and I have to unload the bike. If anyone knows of a loading ramp with an inclined plane please let me know. Or if you have any leads or suggestions in the Conway area I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Anyone att he truck rental site reccommend anything? I might be able to help but I am on the other side of the state.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

One thing that comes to mind would be to go to a trucking company or a warehouse. Even a grocery store might be able to help you or anyplace that might have a loading dock. Back it up, drive it off , park your bike and come back for it.

Just a thought.

Everrett

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

When loading or unloading a 'Wing on or off my 3/4 ton I look for a bank, shallow ditch or swale that I can back the truck into which will lower the angle of the ramp significantly. If you can't find any place like that any piece of dirt you can get the truck on will work. Just dig a couple 12" deep holes and back the rear wheels into them. It can make all the difference between a hairy unload or a piece of cake operation.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
imported post

My youngest son lived in Conway until they sent him to NH to work. So I can't offer his services to help unload it

But the folks here in Sunny South Carolina are alot friendlier and more helpful that those from the elsewhere.
So you should be able to find a couple of locals that can help you roll the wing down the ramp.

Not knowing what area of Conway you are moving to, I can't make to many suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Not so sunny today, it is 11 degrees this morning, to me this is terrible!!! My blood is too thin for this stuff. :) This afternoon after 2pm with all those water pipes start to thaw is going to be fun.

I suppose I would find a trucking company close to where you are going and just walk into the office and ask them if you can use their loading dock. I would just bet they will let you.

Like Ron said, down here people are pretty easy going, if they can help you they will.

Kit

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

only suggestion I can give is to have someone help you push it off, I agree with the comments about people from SC willing to help, I had a few help me out when I had issues. When I got to Ft Stewart GA, I looked for a looding ramp or something similar, depending on where your at, look around areas where factories may have to load trucks

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

As others have suggested........Dollar General stores, Food Worlds, Sams Warehouse, Lowes....etc.....around here all have loading docks, and shouldn't mind the use, may have to wait until after store hours......

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Heck, with all the businesses that have gone under there should be plenty of places in the smaller strip malls that are closed and have a loading dock that's usable. Just drive around the rear of any of them and you should find one real quick.

Of course you want to find one with a good concrete ramp down to ground level to use after you unload it.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

try to find a kid driving a ramp truck and slip him a few bucks, iv done that for people when i was younger both s.c. and n.c. are full of great people wiling to lend a hand shouldnt be hard

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

You might even find a automotive shop with a four post hoist. They can raise it to the truck level and push it off. Even someone with a fork lift can do it. Hope these ideas help. Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I don't know if this is going to work but I got a towing company with a high flatbed. I'm going to have the driver back up to the u-haul... they should be close to the same level. Then I'll strap it on to the end of his truck and have him lower me down.

If it doesn't look like it's going to work then I am going to go with all of your suggestions with a loading dock.

Thanks for all your help.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

Any motorcycle dealers near there? I have found most motorcycle shops have a secure ramp setup & don't mind letting you use it - will usually even give you a hand if you need it .

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Yeah we got the bike off today everything well I can't thank you guys enough, I really appreciate the support and insight. This was my first major move of my bike.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

Just a thought for future reference.

Many farm machinery dealers have loading ramps.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Another thought for future reference - I have used this method before, when I drove a truck with some heavy machinery to a destination that was supposed to have a loading dock, but didn't. I had another guy working for the company drive a truck with a liftgate out to the location. We backed the trucks up to one another, extended the liftgate on the one, and backed the loaded truck up to the second truck's liftgate. Then rolled the machinery from the first truck on to the second truck's liftgate, and lowered it down to the ground.

Also used a similar method utilizing two trucks with liftgates to lift a large item into one of the trucks where the item was too big to fit onto one liftgate, and too heavy to hold it there by hand. Put one end of the item on each liftgate, and used both to lift it up to the truck...but I was young and stupid then and had no fear of death or injury.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

A suggestion I didn't see...

The Post Office. Most have a dock for larger postal trucks, and then a ramp for the smaller ones...And you can usually find someone that is willing to allow you to use them for 5 minutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.