Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Valve clearance inspection is part of the maintenance on the 1800s every 34,000 miles. As I don't have the tools for a proper job, I let my local shop tackle this issue after being assured this is a no brainer.

Since the cam lobes interface with a "bucket & shim" assembly prior to the valve stem, I thought the shop would be my better choice other than me, as I have no experience and tools to do this job, let alone the set of shims, if required.

Dropped the bike off at 0-Dark Hundred (0600) for it to cool off for the 0900 appointment. Valve clearance inspections are done cold. I saw that the work was started and went out for breakfast. I came back and the valve covers were off but noticed the Crank Shaft cover was still on. This cover unscrews allowing the shaft positions to be viewed against a line on the cover plate. A hex bolt allows for a socket wrench to slowly jack the crank over to each designated position for valve clearance inspection with a feeler gauge. Very simple operation, really.

Upon arriving back from a Head Call, I notice no work being done on the bike and the mechanic working on some other job. An hour later, I was informed the bike is finished and ready for pickup.

In paying the bill, I asked for the clearance readings I had requested. None were included and the mechanic did not write the info down, but did say all was OK, to the required spec. (no shimming was required)

Since this maintenance function is only required at 34,000 mile intervals, I had a feeling the job had to be checked..............by me.

Set the bike up on the jack and got the book out.
The next morning I removed the valve covers and crank cover (after chipping hard clay away)
Followed the book's instruction on the valve clearance checking procedure, accepting the loosening of the chain tensioner. (no special tool)

All valves were within spec, the loose end of the spec. which is OK for the next 34K miles.

OK, my point in the write up is..........you can do this under your shade tree too, in two hours. Took me one hours time for this check. Logged in the readings in the manual and called it a day.

Note: I will be checking the valves again an another 34K and if the readings show that shimming is required, the bike will go to another shop??????

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

I guess I don't get it....After you took it to the shop you checked their work and it was OK........Why another shop ??

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Going out on a limb here ,but I believe he feels the job was not done . As proven by the clay which had to be chiseled off to get the crankshaft cover removed. But its only a guess on my part .

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
Going out on a limb here ,but I believe he feels the job was not done . As proven by the clay which had to be chiseled off to get the crankshaft cover removed. But its only a guess on my part .
That's kind'a the way I read it also. Going back several years, I took my new CB900C into the shop for the break-in maint check. I was presented a bill with the valve clearance checks written down,(all 16 of them), and a hand-full of shims. The counter guy offered to trade/deduct the cost of the shims from the amount owed.

Sadly that shop sold more Civics than bikes and closed the doors in 95... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

If you are able to check it yourself why not adjust it yourself (when needed). Seems like you know what needs to be done so why not just do it.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Sorry for the confusion guys, I paid for good quality work to be done in a tidy fashion with documented results and got shoddy results to the point where I felt the job had to be double checked.

What I learned from this experience, as shared with you is; with a little time in pre-checking I could have eliminated a bill and gained a knowledgeable experience.

I will still have my tire work done by these guys but will look elsewhere for the valve work when needed.

Football time got to go.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
If you are able to check it yourself why not adjust it yourself (when needed). Seems like you know what needs to be done so why not just do it.

I do not have the shim set$$$$$, or the special tools for the 1800. The cam shaft chain tensioner requires a special tool and the cam shafts pulled to replace a shim. Much more complicated than hydraulic lifters that the older bikes use. Why this set up????? Mother had a better idea??
Hydraulics on the 1800s would be much desired.

Bye, go Saints

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I should probably check mine when I get the chance. I've got sooooo many things I need to do before winter though.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Most likely they will never need adjusting if they are good at the first inspection. Honda doesn't even recommend a valve adjustment on the cars anymore unless they get noisy but we do it with a timing belt on 4 cylinder engines at 105,000 miles. They are usually close enough. We never adjust them on V6s and the 1800 has fewer wear points than the car engines.

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

Longboater wrote:
Sorry for the confusion guys, I paid for good quality work to be done in a tidy fashion with documented results and got shoddy results to the point where I felt the job had to be double checked.
I have an in with a few rough shoddy looking crew that would gladly look after that shop for ya Ned..Just give us the word!

I think you may know some of these characters. Especially the babe on the very left in Black...She can be very mean...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i know what the original poster was getting at just like onewing and a prayer was stating also

i work on semis for a living and when a owner drops off his 150,000 dollar rig and wants specific things done and the info on the bill dosent back up the repair bill yes they question it its not a question of did you do it its a question as to why you didnt write down the basic info on the bill to convince the customer that the job was infact done

really to be honest a soccer mom puts them bikes together and by god if you can make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich you sure can take it apart and put it back together again.

my favorite motto pattend proven and practiced each day

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

If it's information that your paying for, then it should have been provided. It's necessary to know the wear on the engine for future maintenance, without that information, you really paid for nothing. Having chiseled the clay off however, you really did pay for nothing and I would question the integrity of the shop as well.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hawggy wrote:
Longboater wrote:
I have an in with a few rough shoddy looking crew that would gladly look after that shop for ya Ned..Just give us the word!

I think you may know some of these characters. Especially the babe on the very left in Black...She can be very mean...

Great group Hawggy and didn't we all have a good time too. Say hi to the mean one for me. Coming up in two weeks if all is well down here.

Great comments and thank you for those. When the owners get back we will have a discussion.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

If the bike idles and runs smooth and there is no valve noise, it probably will be a waste of time to check. even though you can shim for adjustment does notmean you will have too. this type of adjustment usually means no adjustment will be nessasary and if it does get to the point it is out of adjustment that usally means there is considerable amount of wear and you are only prolonging a more proper repair

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.