Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Location of fork oil drain plug

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jsmith24 
#1 ·
imported post

Hi all,

I've got the 83 with the TRAC anti-dive forks. I am going to drain the fork oil and replace, but all the photos I can find indicate a drain plug that I don't have (located on the outboard of either fork, just above the axle pinch collar assembly).

I'm assuming that the TRAC equipped models have it somewhere else? Can someone point it out to me?

Thanks,

Jack

Discussion starter · #3 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
The drain plug should be just aft of the TRAC adjustment screw on the backside of the fork.

Thanks exavid! I just didn't want to go about blindly removing bolts waiting for one to leak oil out. :)

Jack

Discussion starter · #5 ·
imported post

Jason wrote:
Jack, the oil takes ages to drain this way, but it is very handy. If you remove the fork air hoses first, the fluid will drain much faster. Faster still if you remove the actual fork caps (put a jack under the engine first so the front end won't dive too low). The get some new fluid and let it run right through the forks to clean out and bits of crud before finally filling.

Hi Jason,

When you say "fork caps", do you mean the metal parts into which the air fittings are fixed? How do I get those out...just a big pair of pliers? I don't see anything like a hex nut. Also, if I take those off, should I be ready for springs to fly out at me?

Thanks,

Jack

Discussion starter · #8 ·
imported post

jeepster09 wrote:
Jack

I sent you an e-mail with picture showing drain plug.:waving:

Thanks! I'm glad you told me here...for some reason my junk mail filter sorted you into the 'junk' pile. Good pic. Say, your bike looks to be a custom paint job...any pics you want to share? I'm personally going to paint mine to get rid of the old "Candy Regal Brown". :)

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.