Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Yea you would love it here in the summer time when we change from Winterpeg to Mosquitopeg! Nothing like mosquitoes, noseeums, and horseflies to make you forget all about winter!!!
Boy that brings back fond memories. 34 years in Alaska had their high points but the bugs weren't them. Fondly(liar!) rememberclouds of mosquitosrisingfrom the tundra with every step you took. Skinning a caribou and seeing all those fly larva under the skin kept one mindful of what those damnable deer flieshad in their tiny mindsto do tomoi. Noseeums don't taste too bad if you don't inhale too hard. On the therhand, in the fall before the snow flies theNorth country is great!But I digress...

I'm old, we're required to ramble, it's in the geezer's handbook, look it up.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

I spent 10 years in Labrador City. We only had three seasons - July, August and Winter!:?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Well said Kyle, I'm with you but spring and fall could be longer and winter shorter to make it perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Chief:

Wicked avatar, where'd you find such a beast? What about winter? We don't seem to get the snow we used to get.I know you don't get the snow thatthey get across the lake from you at St.Catherines and Buffalo. Do you get the same windchill effect we get here that double drops the temperature?

exavid;

From Tacoma, you're just a skip and a jump and a boat ride out of Skagway. Check out this site for the Yukon Rally. Go revisit your roots, I'm sure you know your way around up there. I just wish I would have got up to Prudhoe Bay

http://www.rideyukon.com

Zryder;

No body is from Northern Ontario! It is uninhabited. Is there anything further north of Pickle Lake? I know...you're pretty much in the same boat I'm in, but I bet your highways are better.

Kyle

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her!

Attachments

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Malc Force said
Ever thought about moving house!
Heck no!!!!! I'm smack in the middle of a continent that experiences all that each season has to offer...to the extreme!!! No two seasons are alike.

Winter-Bitter cold, snowand wind, sundogs and northern lights. (some of the best snowmobiling you'll find) (those are bikes on tracks and ski's)

Spring-Blossoms andBuds, a regenerationof life and beauty, all is fresh and alive

Summer-The heat, thunderstorms with the eletric light shows, and all the lakes you would ever want to play or fish in. (Best pickeral (walleye)fishing in the world)

Fall-An absolute explosion of a painters canvas as the leaves turn the color of the spectrum. Wheatfields emblazened in gold and the harvest moon as big and bright as the sun itself.

You ask a fella that's moved from Manitoba to Florida, whatthey miss about home. The answer is "the change of seasons." Though you'd be hard pressed if they admitted to missing the winters. Doesn't matter what season it is, it is tough to beat a Manitoba Sunset. We don't have earthquakes, volcanos, hurricanes, floods,or any of them other natural disaster stuff.

Kyle

Why does it seem the grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence?
Come on Kyle, be honest. 360 days of the year are winter, the other 3 seasons have to fit in to what's left.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
exavid;

From Tacoma, you're just a skip and a jump and a boat ride out of Skagway. Check out this site for the Yukon Rally. Go revisit your roots, I'm sure you know your way around up there. I just wish I would have got up to Prudhoe Bay
I spent 20 years total in Ketchikan and Juneau, so I can find my way around a bit. However after many years of driving and flying over those roads, I'm enjoying cruising where the temps are higher.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote
I spent 20 years total in Ketchikan and Juneau
Couple of nice spots, Ketchikan with the island airport, 28 miles of road, and a bar on every corner. I ate fresh peel and eat shrimp till I looked like a shrimp as we watched float planes take off and land, and sailboats cruise by. Drank like a fish at the Bank Shot Tavern. I heard a rumor that they get the highest % of rainfail of anywhere in North America. Hooked up with a pretty rough looking group in Juneau, I believe they called themselves the Tundra Tramps (not sure?). My Wing was more than welcome at the Club House and they sent us off with a 60pounder of whiskey for our Ferry Ride.

Recognize either one of these shots? One is your history past and one is near your present.

Kyle

In the infamous words of Tom Cochrane & Red Ryder "Life is a Highway"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Guess I gotta do this in two swoops

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah, the first picture is downtown Ketchikan looking Northeast toward the tunnel with Tongass Dock store (General merchandise, they don't sell docks) out of the picture on the left. Turn around 180 degrees and go down past the City Dock and you'll find Mama Daiz' Cafe with some of Alaska's best Phillipino food! Second picturelooks like the view from the road toJohnston viewpoint to look at the truncatedMount St. Helens. Made that trip lots of times with loads of touristson motorcoach tours. Did I pass the exam?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

exavid;

Just hoped it brought back a memory or two. Is there really that much rain in Ketchikan as I'm led to believe? It was a beautiful 32 hours I was there. You might have even been there..1992

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Chief:

Wicked avatar, where'd you find such a beast? What about winter? We don't seem to get the snow we used to get.I know you don't get the snow thatthey get across the lake from you at St.Catherines and Buffalo. Do you get the same windchill effect we get here that double drops the temperature?

exavid;

http://www.rideyukon.com

Zryder;

No body is from Northern Ontario! It is uninhabited. Is there anything further north of Pickle Lake? I know...you're pretty much in the same boat I'm in, but I bet your highways are better.

Kyle

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her!
Kyle we get same weather as you just 3 days later. Chief43

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
imported post

:DI am glad to see that this topic has got you all reminiscing about where you have lived or travelled or even compairing weather conditions and the like, it is a lot easier to relate to someone when you know whereabouts in the world they live.:Dnow you are no longer strangers in this big old world of ours.:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Malc Force said
I am glad to see that this topic has got you all reminiscing about where you have lived or travelled or even compairing weather conditions and the like, it is a lot easier to relate to someone when you know whereabouts in the world they live.:Dnow you are no longer strangers in this big old world of ours.:waving::waving:
Thanks for getting it started. Also, I'm not sure if you are aware but if you "Click" on a members location (For some reason, only for our American Members) a map of the U.S. pops up highlighting the members State. On that same map, if you click on any of the other States, it will tell you how many members we have in that State. If you want to see where we are from in Canada, or Ireland, or the U.K. or any place else, you're gonna have to look it up yourself. Hopefully someday this neat little perk will include the rest of us.

Kyle

My hair is turning white, my neck's always been red, my collar still blue!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.