Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey revblues :waving:Congrats on your Promotion to "Very Active Member":clapper:
Dont know how you got so soon cause your away short of the 250 posts.:crying:

Anyway keep posting untill i get to the bottom of this. :doh:

:walker::18red::walker:
Must be a matter of quality vs quantity:baffled::goofygrin::baffled:

At any rate I'm sure I'll get to 250 in short order.:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
imported post

I was hesitant to mention the HD stand for fear of being branded a heretic:cool:, but it IS the best sidestand ever.

·
Old School Guru
7,876 Posts
imported post

revblues wrote:
I was hesitant to mention the HD stand for fear of being branded a heretic:cool:, but it IS the best sidestand ever.
Well, when you design something back in 1909 that works, why change? It is the best designed stand on a bike. One of the few items that really work well.

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,158 Posts
imported post

revblues wrote:
Must be a matter of quality vs quantity:baffled::goofygrin::baffled:
Hey revblues :waving: Ok thats that mystery solved. :stumped:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

I'm sure I can remember from many years ago one of my bikes having a sidestand that operated a hydraulic actuator at the hinge point. The weight of the bike resting on the sidestand pushed the actuator in, which held the brakes on.

Love to all in sunny RSA.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

John Nash wrote:
I'm sure I can remember from many years ago one of my bikes having a sidestand that operated a hydraulic actuator at the hinge point. The weight of the bike resting on the sidestand pushed the actuator in, which held the brakes on.

Love to all in sunny RSA.
Welcome to the site John, nice to see your first post. Great to have a new UK rider on board!! Enjoy your visits here and join in often.:waving:

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

As long as we are talking Parking Brakes......

I needed one more than any of you, with my trike.

I tried the reverse lever for a while too, but on a steep hill, the engine turned over slowly and in 2 hours, it rolled back 3 feet!

Here is a simple strap set up I used with pix, in case you missed this topic before in the other forum and need something in a hurry.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/8940.html

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

Guys

What I do if I have to park on a down hill is to shut the bike off with the side stand, make sure you are in first and allow the bike to roll ahead with the clutch released till it stops (normally 6-8 inches) then set her on the side stand. I have parked on some pretty steap hills and have never had my bike roll off the side stand.

If you want even more, carry a small velcro strap and clamp your front brake on with it. DO NOT USE REVERSE !!!

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

Hi all,
Well the same folks that make my insta-trike kit, have now come up with a new sidestand for many bikes, including our beloved wings. It is pretty slick.

Click on their website, then click on The EASY ROLLER Side Stand Icon to see it.

http://www.tow-pacinc.com/

Of course I don't need a sidestand anymore and my zip-tie brake lever strap (that mounts perfectly on the brake fluid reservoir for storage) has not ever failed.

It's simple and cheap as it comes, even in matching black.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

The simple parking brake available for the ST1100 (Pan European) used to be made by a company called Middleton (I think they have stopped making them now). I have one on my current ST1100. It is a very simple device that holds the front brake on when it is pulled in. It is totally safe - it can't lock the brakes or anything dangerous. This picture was taken from a current auction on British Ebay.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.