Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Can the locks on the GL1100 be fixed all to one key? I have one that doesn't match (the one on the fake gas tank) and want it to use the same key so I don't have to carry two.

The lock/latch seems to be one piece, but that can't be right. I'm just afraid to go tearing it apart. :)

Jack

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Take the gas flap lock to a locksmith, shouldn't be all that expensive to have it reworked to fit the key. As was mentioned on this forum before by others, the Honda key is bidirectional, it's cut the same on both sides so you can put it in the lock either way. You could have a key made cut on one side for the gas flap and on the other side for everything else.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
You could have a key made cut on one side for the gas flap and on the other side for everything else.

That's one of the neatest ideas I've read in a while. Thanks!

Jack

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I had to get a new ignition switch a couple of years back and I was able to take all the other locks to a lcoksmith and now they all work off the same key.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Hi again,

I took the lock cylinder to a locksmith today who couldn't figure out how to dismantle the lock. For now I just went with having the key cut with two different sides. I'd still like to know how to open that cylinder... :)

Jack

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
imported post

Fitzal, did the locksmith take any locks apart?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I took my tank lock in and a locksmith took it apart and found a piece of metal in there and then cleaned it out , works fine now!

You say you have a key that doesn,t match, silly question but is it your "Helmet lock ' key?

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

For those interested, I had an extra lock cylinder that I didn't need, so I figured out how to disassmble it by brute force. Next time, with more care, I think I can to it right.

You have to carefully pry the chrome face off the front of the cylinder by lifting its retaining lip around the back edge. After doing that, the whole cylinder just slides forward and out. If you do this, though, hold onto the black "latch" part at the rear, because once the cylinder releases the spring, that puppy can go flying. Trust me. :)

Once in there, it uses a series of wafers, not pins, to lock the cylinder. I was able to rekey mine just by rearranging the wafers already there (ok, so I had to leave out one). Heh.

At any rate, just wanted to share what I have learned.

Jack

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Well done Jack. To stop the wafers and springs flying, you have to have the key in the lock while sliding the cylinder out. Then you can slowly take the key out and do the rearranging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.