Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI again. It wouldn't let me log in. So I regisered again. It din't even know that I was already a member. Same password and all.:stumped: OH, well. So I am looking at a Honda 600. It is like a 1985 I think and clean. Runs good they said.:baffled: I can't test it since I am a new driver, but Jim can.:whip: I know I can handle a 250. I am just scared that I will drop a 650. That is the ultimate bike for me I know. So my dilema is go small and wait or spend the money now and have the final result. There are so many bikes out there. Like I said earlier, there was two women in the class that already had 650's and they both dropped a bike including the one's they owned. So it made me wonder.:baffled: Missy

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

smaller/lighter bikes are always easier to start on. however, when you move up to a heavier bike you have to remember it has more inertia with turning and stopping. A lighter bike is mch more forgiving when you put down your feet at a stop. The other important thing is how comfortable you feel with your feet on the ground. I never could get comfortable on a BMW, because I could not put my feet flat on the ground and felt like I was tippy-toed.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Don't worry about it too much, everyone has dropped a bike if they ride one. There are those who have and those who are lying. I hate to admit it again but I managed to drop my 1500 last week. I parked it in a pull out by the Carbon River near Mt. Rainier and walk away a bit to enjoy the view and a DP (Diet Pepsi). Over the sound of the river I heard a crash, sure enough it was my bike falling over. I'd parked too close to the edge of the pavement and the piece of asphalt under the kickstand broke, the bikewent all the way over too, didn't stop on the crash bars. May I thank the person who wrote the article about putting your back to the bike and shuffling the thing upright. The only damage I could find was a scratch on the lower corner of the left mirror.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Don't worry about it too much, everyone has dropped a bike if they ride one. There are those who have and those who are lying. I hate to admit it again but I managed to drop my 1500 last week. I parked it in a pull out by the Carbon River near Mt. Rainier and walk away a bit to enjoy the view and a DP (Diet Pepsi). Over the sound of the river I heard a crash, sure enough it was my bike falling over. I'd parked too close to the edge of the pavement and the piece of asphalt under the kickstand broke, the bikewent all the way over too, didn't stop on the crash bars. May I thank the person who wrote the article about putting your back to the bike and shuffling the thing upright. The only damage I could find was a scratch on the lower corner of the left mirror.
Paul,Glad it did not hurt your bike too bad, It happens to everyone sooner or later,

I would like to read that thread about getting the bike back up,,,my friend is having hernia surgery tomorrow, I do not want to have the same......,If anyone remembers which thread it was please share it...:)

thanks, dean_3326

:12red::cool:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't know where I originally came across it but it was also in the Gold Book in an article near the back. Basically you face away from the bike, take the passenger grab bar in one hand and the lower handlebar in the other and start shuffling backward, more or less pushing with your backside. It really works easily when the bike settles on it's crash bar as it usually does, it's a bit harder if the bike is flat on the ground because you have to do a partial squat, but it works. When the ground fell out from under my bike by the river it actually laid down beyond flat since the ground was sloping toward the river and so was the bike. At first I didn't think I could lift it, but I did. Good thing too the road was a long way back in the sticks and I didn't see anybody else while I was there. Luckily no oil, coolant or gas spilled. When I started the engine I cranked the engine over a couple times with the kill switch off just in case a cylinder got oil filled, but it spun over just fine and when I started it there wasn't any burst of smoke.

This accident was a surprise since I had the kickstand on asphalt that looked okay. After things settled down a closer look showed that erosion had eaten out the dirt a bit under the pavement and that edge of the road was very thin. I carry a round steel pad for the kickstand in soft ground but didn't see any reason to use it at the time.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Wow, sounds like you got lucky. :walker:Sorry to hear about your bike, but at least it wasn't worse huh.:baffled: So what can you use on the asphalt to keep it from breaking like that? :baffled:MIssy

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Thanks I hope I don't need to try it anytime soon. but very good to know........Getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no help is sure not a pleasant thought, I ride a lot in very unpopulated areas. Usually the asphalt issolid, but in the heat of the summer here it will get softon the edge. I too carry a small plate to place under the stand.

I almost got hit by a wild turkey last sunday, it had laid down at the edge of the highway in the grass and weeds, I never saw it and just as I approached it it stood up and flew right past our heads, we were doing 60 and he was moving on himself..had he hit us it would have been very bad. I watch as close as I can for Deer but never thought about a turkey laying down like that,,,,,too close for comfort

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

We have wild horses and donkeys out here where I work. There are usually a couple of deaths a year because of them on U.S. HWY I95. I have been surprised a couple of times by suddenly realizing that the big bush on the side of the road was really a horse! Can't always tell when they aren't moving and the sun is in your eyes. :shock:

Yesterday I got to play chicken with a donkey! I was still on a secondary road with only a 40MPH limit so it wasn't a big deal, but I had his interest and it took a couple of honks on the horn before he chickened out. Much to my relief! :cool:

Bob :11grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sure enough, that's the way I did it. I was lucky (after being unlucky) that all the damage my bike got was a scratch on the underneath of the mirror. The butt push works surprisingly well, I had my doubts since my bike ended up all the way over on its side, not just leaning on the crash bars, but it came up rather easily.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Redwing that's pretty good, the lady looks like she has more muscles in her legs then I have in my body.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey chief43 :waving:No matter howsmall your little legs are :stumped:you too can do this if you do it properly. :weightlifter:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

It's 5-8 I think? Did you get the 600 Honda Missy?

If your feet can reach the ground flat you'll be fine!

Good luck !

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Hi missynorber and welcome. You are only listed in the members list once, so I'd say you didn't click the activation link the first time you registered and that's why you couldn't get in.
At least you are in now, have fun. :waving:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

03Silver wrote:
Hi missynorber, At least you are in now, have fun. :waving:
Hey 03Silver :waving: Thats what she said last night. :grinner:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.