Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of your wives follow you in a car because they can no longer ride. I am wondering about the logistics - some (maybe most) use a CB to stay in touch but do you also pick a spot "x" miles ahead to meet in case you get separated and out of CB range?

My Wing does not have a CB and am having trouble finding one that is affordable. Anyone had luck with portables or other options than CB?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
You could get a Bluetooth head set like the Sena smh10 unit. With that you can connect to a Bluetooth cell phone to make or receive calls. And you can use it to listen to music.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,836 Posts
Other than a cellphone, nothing else is going to be good for more than a half mile or so.

bluetooth? Forget it, very limited range. Maybe 40 feet? Only works up to 33 feet by design.

CB? the bike's antenna is so inefficient, not good for more than maybe 2-5 miles depending on each installation.

VHF/UHF radios are probably the best thing for consistent medium range conversations. Cellphones are so spotty in some areas, they are useless.

If you are not a ham radio operator, you can get General Use UHF radios in the 470 mHz range. Lots of folks have done this.

I went down to Walmart and bought a pair of Motorola handie talkies for cheap so that my daughter and I could talk to each other when we were moving our household goods from Arizona to Oklahoma. We did real good with them, they always worked great as we would be within visual contact most of the time.

Full size picture:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...l1500-picture28010-motorola-handie-talkie.jpg

As you can see in the picture, the battery is still good, I turned it on. It's been 2-1/2 years since it was charged.

You can find them in any Bass Pro Shop or other sports stores.
Some auto parts houses have them.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
You could get a Bluetooth head set like the Sena smh10 unit. With that you can connect to a Bluetooth cell phone to make or receive calls. And you can use it to listen to music.
+1 to this. She can have a SENA headset in the car, and you can chit-chat for up to 12 hours on one charge. (I just proved that on a long ride in December).

The SMH-10 battery life is insane.

She can wear a regular looking earbud and not use a helmet to mount it.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
The Sena bike to bike - or bike to car - will work great if you can maintain line of sight. After that it may still work, but will fade. But, your back up could be matching it to your Bluetooth cellphone and switching to that when necessary. Provided there is cellphone coverage.

Bob

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I went down to Walmart and bought a pair of Motorola handie talkies for cheap so that my daughter and I could talk to each other when we were moving our household goods from Arizona to Oklahoma. We did real good with them, they always worked great as we would be within visual contact most of the time.

Full size picture:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...l1500-picture28010-motorola-handie-talkie.jpg

As you can see in the picture, the battery is still good, I turned it on. It's been 2-1/2 years since it was charged.

You can find them in any Bass Pro Shop or other sports stores.
Some auto parts houses have them.
That's what we use. Good for 2-3 miles at least. My wife doesn't Ride either. Anytime we in two vehicles we use the Walkie-Talkies.
thecruiser

·
Just one of the guys
4,800 Posts
Can those walkies be rigged with a voice activated mic and an ear bud for folks who wear full-faced helmets? (like me)
I have a headset that has a remote push button that can be velcroed to the handlebar. I don't know if the VOX will work with that or not. I am not sure where it came from as my brother ordered them but a web search will probably find them.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,836 Posts
Can those walkies be rigged with a voice activated mic and an ear bud for folks who wear full-faced helmets? (like me)
Don't think it would be an easy task, but doable.

You would have to open the case up, and solder a couple of wires across the PTT button's contacts.

Then you would need to find the microphone and route that outside.
You would need to provide a Vox circuit to trip the PTT circuit.

The same for the speaker, although that would be the easiest thing to find.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information- I'll check some of this stuff out. I had heard an integrated CB lacked range not only on the Wing but all bikes.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,836 Posts
It's not the CB radios on the bikes that are at fault.

It is the pathetic antenna system with the all too short antennas and the even more pathetic "ground plane". Bikes just don't have enough metal surface on them to make CB antennas work right.

A CB antenna is 9 feet long for each "half of the antenna".
The top half you can see and it is very shortened, but has a coil to make it resonate properly.

The "bottom half" ?

Well, it is whatever piece of wiring or frame in the bike can be tied together... not good.

That is why the little UHF radios like I mentioned will out perform the CB sets. Their antenna systems are properly sized at "full length". Not to mention they are FM and have much better receiver sensitivity than the old AM radios.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are many portable 2-way radios with the VOX feature. VOX actually came out many years ago and stands for Voice Actuated Transmitter. Although, today many refer to it as voice activated control.

Cell phones are not a good choice. The different motorcycle headsets are also not such a good idea. They are expensive to buy if you do not need them for anything more than just communications between two points. (ie: two vehicles, home and car, etc)

The best choice for whaat you want are the many small GMRS/ FRS portable radios. You must look carefully at each one to see if it is one that does have the VOX feature. Some do not. Most sporting goods stores, and even Wal-NUT stores carry some. You can also look at such radios on eBay. Go to eBay and do a search
like VOX control 2-way radio and see what you can find. You can also search for
GMRS or FRS radios. GMRS stands for General Mobile Radio Service. FRS stands for
Family Radio Service. Both services are in some of the radios you could buy. The
GMRS service is also able to get a license to operate much higher power, and even
a repeater for much greater communications. The basic GMRS and FRS service radios are low power that does not need the license.

Most of these handheld portables have prices for two radios from $40 to $100. Many are in the $40 to $60 range.

Many headsets with speaker and mic can be used with these radios.

Dave.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,836 Posts

• 42-channel GMRS radio with up to 36 mile range

Ummm, take that with tongue in cheek. That is from mountain top, to mountain top with no obstructions in between.

Not deep in the mountains around the curves and in the tunnels.

All UHF radios, and GMRS is one, are essentially "line of sight", but they will perform quite well out to 4 or 5 miles.

I only paid like $40 bucks for the pair that I bought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.