Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I plan to take a long-for-me (900 miles) bike trip. I will be pulling a utility trailer. Just wondering what I should do in preparation for the big trip & what I should take with me to make sure I have a worry free trip. (NB: I WOULD like to go with somebody, but not sure if that's gonna happen or not).

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

To get used to the bigger bike.......Ride, Ride, Ride. I rode lots of motorcycles for over 40 years and I will admit thatI was somewhat intimidated by the size and weight of the 1500. Not anymore. Just ride it like a sport bike and you will get used to it.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

Shouldn't be anything with it you wouldn't have with any other. Just do the regular checks and adjustments and should be fine.
And to stress the point made by FeButter, don't ride it like a lounger, but ride it like a lighter bike and it will handle it perfectly. I went from a 1300 VTX to the GL1500 and got quickly used to the idea of riding it the same.
Had a great time on the "Dragon" with pegs scraping and no ill effects.
Enjoy the trip.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

anti-monkey butt powder...a must; compression shorts also are great

small tool kit; flashlight

pledge and micro-fiber towel

tylenol before you leave

stop, walk, drink...every 100 miles or so

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

spare tire for the trailer and ride into the sunset

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
imported post

Where and when are you going? Knowing your route would allow members to possible ride some of the route, recommend what to see and maybe even offer a bed and meal.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Personally, I would not take any new bike on a long trip until I had 1) Done all the periodic maintenance on it, and 2) Put enough local miles on it to verify that it works.

That being said, I'd start with these things:
-Inspect tires and valve stems for damage, and correct pressure.
-Check all fluids (oil, coolant, brakes, rear drive)
-Pack an emergency kit (jumper cables, basic tools)

So far as riding it goes, Yes ride it Hard, not easy... keep it above 20mph and it handles like a sport bike... below that and it's very difficult to control, until you get used to the weight.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Some things that I always carry.

Duct tape, mechanics wire, quick set JB weld, flashlight, flashlight that mounts to your head, tire plug kit, air pump, ear plugs, Leatherman, basic tool kit, a better 6 way screwdriver than the one in the Wing tool kit, 4" visegrip, sharpie pen, Wet Ones,cash, 2 credit cards from 2 different companies, octane booster ( I carry Duralt because it's concentrated so it takes up less space),

Let your credit card company know that you are traveling.

In the summer I always carry bug spray. Ever had a breakdown in a swampy area? Water.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for all the suggestions. Please keep 'em coming. I'm thinking about going to Vancouver Island in June / 12 for a week or so? Does anyone wanna come with me? One-way or return would be great.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

happer wrote:
I plan to take a long-for-me (900 miles) bike trip. I will be pulling a utility trailer. I'm thinking about going to Vancouver Island in June / 12 for a week or so. Just wondering what I should take with me to make sure I have a worry free trip.

A good rainsuit! :D

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

You will have no trouble riding that 1500! I went from a GL1200 to a GL1500 and I feel more at ease on the 1500. It handles much easier than the 1200. It's the best bike that I've ever owned.......so far.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Work up to 500 mile days. Stop every 100 miles and check on yourself.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I assume you are taking the Crowsnest(?) which is a blast to ride. Keep an eye out for deer/elk and bears. (especially when ascending west of Princeton)

If headed along the Crowsnest, fill up in Princeton when Westbound if you have under 3/4 of a tank and in Hope when Eastbound.

The ferry ride from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay is the most scenic. If you're heading out along the west coast of the Island. don your rain suit as it's usually raining there.

You'll love the view of the Okanagan Valley atop Anarchist Mtn, when you approach Osoyoos.

If staying in motels, I'd make Grand Forks my 1st days destination (reasonable motel rates and restaurants available) as in Osoyoos, both those are expensive and probably too far for a day's ride on your 1st trip.

When passing through Manning Provincial Park, there's a good rest/coffee stop at Manning Lodge Restaurant (turn left when headed west) and great views of the Cascade Mountains at the CascadesLookout (instead of turning leftfor the Lodge, turn right and follow the signs. Road up to the viewpoint is a great ride as well)

Here's a good route from Hope,to the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal, bypassing the constant bottleneck at the Port Mann Bridge :whip: and most of the 'mayhem' on Hwy 1 (Trans Canada) and suburban Vancouver - http://g.co/maps/uru2m

If you're looking for an alternate route back home, PM me and I can show you a couple of different routes. ;)

Edited to add; I just noticed you mentioned that you are tugging a trailer. Are/will you be camping??. If so, shoot me a PM and I'll give you some ideas on where to camp.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

CBH wrote:
You will have no trouble riding that 1500! I went from a GL1200 to a GL1500 and I feel more at ease on the 1500. It handles much easier than the 1200. It's the best bike that I've ever owned.......so far.
I totally agree. To me,My 1200 was just a touring bike. My 1500 is a FUN touring bike.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY..I have been riding it locally for the last 3 months of the summer, so no worries there. Thanks for the suggestion tho. I also think getting AAA coverage that includes bikes with trailers will give me some assurance as well.

MORE THAN ANYTHING, I'd like to find someone who wants to come with me if even just part-way.

Once again, the trip will be from southern Alberta to the west coast of BC (Vancouver Island) next summer.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,825 Posts
imported post

happer,

check into getting Good Sam RV insurance. I looked into AAA also and GS RV beats them hands down.

Consider this, they don't have a mileage limit for a tow whereas AAA does.

Also, GS covers all of your vehicles for travel emergencies.

And, GS will cover a blown engine in your RV. AAA won't do that.

I went with, and am still with GS. They saved my coins when I was moving from Arizona to Oklahoma. The only questions they asked was "who am I?" and "where are you?"

When the repair service left, he said "Have a nice day" and that was all. All I had to do was sign an invoice saying "job done".

http://www.goodsamrvinsurance.com/

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Happer - you want CAA Plus (the Canadian equivalent of AAA). Plus supposedly gives you motorcycle towing. Thankfully I've never had to call them (yet). Here's a link to the Alberta branch of CAA: http://www.ama.ab.ca/ I see they have an office in Lethbridge.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.