Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am curious as to how fellow member ride when doing long, multi-day trips. I prefer to have a fellow biker when on longer rides but am thinking of doing one solo.

Multi bike will mean two or more bikes in group.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

Although I voted "solo single most times" it is only because most of the short rides (around town or just plain stress reliever short runs out of town) are done solo. When travelling distances I like to have my lady along and enjoy having my brother with his bike along also (whether his lady accompanies or not) even though he insists on riding a Venture Royale :cheeky1::waving:.

I think you need one more category: "Some of each often as possible"

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I voted multi bike single because this was about long distance rides. I usually ride with at least one other person then. Around town is usually by myself.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I ride both single and multi, depending on the event and ride. Most LDR's that I know do this.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I ride long distance solo single 25%, solo two up 25%, multi bike single 25% and multi bike two up 25%

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

kind of needed multiple choice.... around town, I am by myself

on trips, both my wife and I drive so I guess you can say it is a "group"

as work has limited out long vacations (which we had the freedom to do when the kids were growing) a lot of our "getting away" is with groups like the mid-west mng and our HOG chapter

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

95% of my 'touring' is solo. :action:

As an example, when I rode to Calhoun and back, I put on 9,072 miles. Of that I rode with ponmanr solo for a total of 187 miles. We then hooked up with Naturally GW, Jluvs2dive and Exavid and eventually BlackGW, SanDiego Brass, Big E and finally KeithG64 and his wife MichelleG64, the rest of the 621 miles to Cyote61's ranch, for a total of 808 miles.

Although I don't mind a little bit of company on a tour occasionally, I prefer to ride either by myself, or at times, 1 other rider. Any more than thatand I start to feel "crowded". :baffled:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,787 Posts
imported post

I ride solo 2 up 99% of the time. My wife loves to ride even as much as I do and I'm fortunate for that. However in the past before we met I rode solo solo. Nothing like heading out for a week or two with no one or nothing to hold me back, or slow me down. Stopping where I want when I want. I like to have a destination, as in "Honey I'm heading to Idaho" but I don't care if it takes a week or two days to get there. The only time I ever rode group was at the last two Eureka Springs Meet & Greet get togethers. That meet is a relatively small group so that is enjoyable also. For me, as a driver, too many bikes isn't much fun. Spend too much time looking out for the bike in front speeding up and slowing down so can't enjoy the ride. Tom

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Depends a lot on if the riders you are with are experienced or not. If they are experienced and will keep things closed up and not be slowing down and speeding up all the time, and pass as unit on the secondary roads, and know how to do this, up to three riders is ok. Any more than that and it becomes like a group day ride and becomes a situation where you cannot enjoy the ride because you have to be totally concentrated on what the other riders are doing. Or not doing.

One to three riders is a good thing, if they know each other, and know what the other will do, and have some experience, it is always nice to have help when there is some type of problem with a bike on the road. It I think is safer too, in the hopefully never to occur accident, if you have company with a little knowledge of first aid, you might survive a very bad injury that might require a pressure bandage or something similar, where as if alone, maybe not.

More than three, it becomes too much to watch out for.
Kit

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

If I'm out for the day, usually it is a solo ride. However, one or two other bikes on the trip would be nice. But,a lot of my rides are during the week when most everyone else is at work. ;)

When I took the trips to Yellowstone and the Blue Ridge I had one other rider with me. I prefer it that way as a margin of safety in casethere is a problem. And because I promised my other half I would do it that way. She doesn't ride often, and if/when she does it is only for a short ride to Mountain View or Hot Springs.

I've nevertaken a long distance trip with a lot of riders. I'm not sure how I would like that? So many different riding styles and preferences ... it looks like it would be a little difficult?

When taking a long trip I like to stop every 100 miles are so for about 10 minutes to let the blood circulate in the appropriate places, then I'm ready to go again.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I don't ride it to work,so there is always someone else on it when it leaves the garage.Mostly solo 2-up even on our holiday trips.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

Mainly we do 2 up solo. That way we're not depending on others as far as places to eat or sleep.

We did about 5 weekend trips this year with 1 other couple. It worked out well because our riding syles (speed/stops) is similar.

We did a couple of weekend trips with 3 other bikesso we'ed have to say our preference in alone or with 1 other couple.:)

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

One guy I ride with has a Harley. That means earplugs or crank up the tunes!!
(He gave me a bad look the last time we rode and Pink Floyd drowned out his pipes):):):cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:)A big day out to me is 400mls,,, after that i cannot cope,, due to the medical problems,,, about 300 is a good ride for us in the day

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

That's a tricky one to answer. I ride solo almost all the time, but probably 50/50 by myself and with Nancy.

We've done our long 15 day vacation last year. A return trip from Portsmouth Va. together. The run to Calhoun and back together and lots of all day rides here in state.

By myself I've done a one way to Portsmouth, straight thru 950 miles. A ride to St. Charles SC with Nancy then back home by myself. That was 18 hrs and 1056 miles. I've done a complete loop from just shy of going onto the Keys in the South, across the everglades thento I10 in the North then back down I75 to home.

I don't mind either way. I love riding with Nancy, but then there is alot of joy heading out and just burning gas and eating miles by myself. Only PITA in riding by myself is one handed camera operating.

I had a beautiful buck deer walk out into the center of the road down in the everglades and then stop, but I couldn't get the camera ready fast enough and still controll the bike while approaching him

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I've only done one loooong trip and that was solo. Didn't know for sure if I was going to like it that way although 95% of all my other riding has been solo. I guess I was use to it cause I didn't mind the BIG trip solo at all. Like others have said,,,,,,,,, go as you want and stop when and where you want.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

The majority of my long riding is solo. My wife doesn't care to ride along and I enjoy setting my own pace. I agree it is about style. One harley guy I know rides like I do and I enjoy that but too many riders definately makes me feel like I need to ride at someone else's pace.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
imported post

generally i ride long distance solo. there are times when the family will go and we take the LTD and the grand caravan. then there are times when i ride alone for a few

thousand miles. i find this most tranquil.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

most of my riding is solo 2 up except around town. I took 2 trips that Linda and did ourselves. Next year we will ride with another couple on at least 1 trip. Very similiar riding styles which will make it nice for us

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Most of my friends I grew up with that still have bikes either have crotch rockets or Harleys. :(

I have told so many of them we need to get together and go for a ride. I've even suggested rides that would be less than 150 miles round trip to get breakfast or lunch. So far no takers????:baffled:

So for now my rides when I can take them will be just Nancy and myself.

I've been thinking of a "ride to eat ride" when I can afford to eat and ride in the same day. :cheeky1:

Myakka City to Lake Okeechobee for breakfast, about 80 miles.

Then down to Key West and get something fishy for lunch. Another 250 or so miles.

Back on the bike to head North just as far as I could make it to eat dinner.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.