Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 948 Posts

·
Administrator
57,504 Posts
imported post

If you see one coming your way, find a depression to get yourself down into.

Do NOT go under a bridge and hide from it, the wind currents funneling thru there increase in velocity from the venturi effect and will scour the underside of bridges.

A culvert is a good place, IF there is no rain threats. Bad if a flood occurs.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
imported post

That's EXACTLY what we did!
Fortunately the twister didn't cross our way but continued parallel to I-70 - some dents in the vehicle from flying stuff, but nothing really important.
Get low (underground if you can) but don't stay out in the open, and like AZGL1500 said, don't trust a bridge (or any other structure).

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

Great pictures really love them. I was on a Suzuki katana 600 riding from Fort Riley Kansas to Colorado springs when I saw a funnel like the one posted. That was back in 1991 or 1992 very scary and I did try and out run it but the hail was huge and I did stop under a bridge with about five other vehicles not a fun time but I remember it to this day keep the pics coming

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
imported post

Storms .... and Long Lonely Stretches of Highway .......

When I was on my Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier NPs tour, earlier this year, we were on the homeward bound leg of our Bighorns Loop ride,(out on 14A and back on 14)when an ominous front blew in over the Tetons/Yellowstone Range. We rode into it for over 65 miles, while it was moving toward us, at a veryfast pace. My guess was this storm front was 100 miles long and as far south as the eye could see. The winds were gusting pretty good, knocking my partner, Beemer Brad around something terrible on his R1100S. He said it just about knocked him off his bike. He tried different speeds, to no avail. I wondered what had become of him, fading away in my mirrors. At one point, I pulled off to the side of the highway, waiting for him to catch up, some 10 minutes later.I felt a little turbulence, but nothing that one hand on the handlebars couldn't handle with ease. :D Anyways, this fast moving front was spitting fire all around and I must have taken over 100 shots while riding, trying to capture one of the hundreds of lightning strikes, but to no avail.:(I thought that we were heading right smack into it several times, but the road would curve away at the last second and continue just skirting the edge of this ruckus melee in the skies overhead. We would get pelted with the odd drop, but luckily, that was the extent of it, for us. This was about 4:30 in the afternoon(June) and at one point(2nd photo), you can see how dark the skies got overhead, but again, luckily, very little moisture fell on us!:cool:

West bound on WY 14, east of Greybull

just east of Cody WY, less than 40 minutes later .....

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
imported post

This thread has got me going back through some of my photos and 'movies' I have posted on my various personal sites, and Icame across one of my most enjoyable trips and I thought that I would share it with you.

It was a 4 day, 1088 mile trip from Penticton BC, over into the West Kootenay Region of BC, where the traffic is light, the roads are twisty and the scenery is outstanding. I made base camp at a motorcycle only campground and did a couple of circle tours, before returning home by a different route. I think you'll agree that this is a special area for riding in. :coollep:

Enjoy the 'movie' ......

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/Eo2J1oZN6zI&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

That is some awesome country in the video Ken,,surely not a trip to forget. You posted that once before,,long ago,,,,,,,,, and I liked the music so much I put it on my MP3;)

I beleive I even listened to that song as I crossed those "High Plains" of Wyoming. I really enjoyed riding throughthat state. I was blessed with the most perfect weather while cruising through. I know what they mean by "Big Skies" now.

Rt. 287 North,, near Split Rock Wyoming:

North bound Rt. 120,,,,,,, North of Thermopolis Wyoming

Rt. 14 East,,,,,,, coming into the Big Horn Mountains

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
imported post

Some nice shots there, Dave.

That last one , you would have been just east of Shell WY, the home of Dirty Annie's, approaching Shell Falls.

Here's my shot of the area, where I would have been just a bit further east. on 14 ......

Here's what the Bighorns look like when you're coming in to them from the west, up on 14A ....

You actually ride parallel to the front of them for a ways ....

.... to gain access to the opening that takes you up towards the pass ......

..... which is very steep, for a US Series highway(something like 10% grade). This shot is looking back west, from where we just came. Note the thin, winding ribbon of Highway 14A, just to the right of this shot .....

....... this is where I took that last shot from. Still lots of elevation to climb yet! .......

..... getting there, but still climbing .....

..... getting there ....

..... still climbing though .....

..... you're pretty well there, when you hit Observation Point .....

..... but, as you can see, we're still climbing .....

This is the view from the Eastern edge of the Bighorns, looking out towards I 90 and Sheridan.

Interesting story behind howUS 14Aascends/descends the western end of the Bighorns and how it ended up with such a steep grade. So steep, that commercial truckers don't use it because it is so steep and there are no run-out lanes. Seems they had an alternative gentler ascent/descent almost all graded, but the builders got in an argument with the Indigenous peoples,ended upin a huff and rushed to finish it off, using the present route. Great for us biker types, other than a few killer frost heaves, near the bottom! :shock:

Yup, when someone mentions Wyoming,I see why they refer to it as ..... The High Lonesome :cooler:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

A great thread Dusty,
A big Thanks to everyone for sharing your wonderful pictures and stories.:)

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
imported post

Come on people, .... I know there is more out there!

Lets see 'em!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Elephant Lake Rd, Haliburton/Bancroft region of Ontario ....

Highway 60, Algonquin Park, Ontario

..... A gorgeous, twistyride along a very lightly traveled ID SR 97, along the eastern/southern shores of the Lake Coeur D Alene Scenic Byway .....

Approaching my favorite US/Canada Border crossing at Nighthawk WA./Chopaka BC

heading west along the Crowsnest Highway (Highway 3) nearing Keremeos, BC ....

Lets see some more, people :clapper:

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

THese are not as spectacular but here you go. All these pictures are along what is called the "three sisters" in south Texas. They are F.M. roads 335, 336, 337. Which ones I don't remember.

Don't know whose bike that it is

Here are someof Utahwhen I drove the truck last December to pick up the 1200 sidecar rig

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
imported post

A couple of shots from the Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Silverton

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Flaming Gorge Byway WY/UT

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
imported post

Alright you guys, way to keep the thread rolling! :clapper:

Nice pictures there Wingman and Doug. The SW is always photogenic! :cooler:

Foodman, I love the CA coast! :cooldj:

Although not a long lonesome highway shot, this is one of my favorite CA Coast shots, near Trinidad Bay, north of Eureka ....

Let's see some more great shots, people! ..... I'm starting to run low on long lonesome highwayshots! :dude:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
imported post

Alright Sethian. Way to step up to the plate!! :clapper::clapper:

Haven't been through the Flaming Gorge, ... yet. It was on one of my 'alternate routes' on my Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier trip, this past summer, but .... I'll try and make it another year. It's high up on my list. I was thinking on camping at Mustang Ridge National Forest campsite, near Dutch John. One of the reasons I didn't end up going that route was because a lot of the campsites weren't open around there, mid June. :(

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
imported post

82gl1100iwingman wrote:
These are not as spectacular but here you go. All these pictures are along what is called the "three sisters" in south Texas. They are F.M. roads 335, 336, 337. Which ones I don't remember.

Hi Wingman

I like this one a lot - can almost feel the solitude.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Some of a local, but still long and loney, ride...... Mt Rainier Park and Chinook Pass, Washington State.......

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Here ya go, up there in lovely British Columbia, Dusty Boot's ol' stomping grounds, Okanogon Lake off of Highway 97, the Alaskan Highway........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Pearling and I are not on motorcycles but it's high and lonely. Those were the good old days

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
imported post

Atta Boy, CJ! :action:

Great roads/riding around MT Rainier

Here's Stevens Canyon Rd, which is within Mt Rainier NP ......

.... and another of your local arearoads that I knowyou are quite intimate with, good 'Ole WA.SR 14, also known as the Columbia River Gorge Rd ......

Here's a couple from my old neck of the woods, in BC ...

Highway 99/The Duffy Lake Rd, which is just an outstanding road to ride(although the pavement is deteriorating in spots) with outstanding scenery along the entire length ......

andthe pretty remote Carpenter Lake Rd, also known as the Lillooet/Gold Bridge Rd ....

41 - 60 of 948 Posts