Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

161 - 180 of 954 Posts

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
imported post

What kind of camera set up are you using for these pictures DB?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I have some pics of some past bike trips. Let me see if I can weed out some of the better ones.

Heading south on Kansas highway 83

There is a group of us that like to get together and ride for 3 or 4 days.

Colorado highway 84 coming from New Mexico

Heading up Red Mountain pass in Colorado

Heading back down from Silverton

Heading east on I70 in eastern Colorado

This was the first bike trip that I had been on in a long time. Didn't have a lot of the "on the road" type pictures in 2007. I have 2008 and 2009 yet though :)

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
I have some pics of some past bike trips. Let me see if I can weed out some of the better ones.

Heading back down from Silverton
COOL PIC! :clapper:

·
Premium Member
56,435 Posts
imported post

Gosh what great pictures.. A real treat to see..

I don't know about you guys but I'm just getting the hang of shooting with 1 hand and driving at the same time.. I think DB is the master...

Dusty, the fellow on the BMW, did I read somewhere that you meet him along the was and just partnered up for your ride through the Yellowstone and beyond area ??

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Thanks Norton, I sure do like your playground :) I've made several trips to the Silverton, Ouray , and Durango area. I really need to get down there and do the back road passes.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #166

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

In 2008 we took off down the east side of Colorado on 385

Then west on 96 catching highway 10. Except I didn't have to cover highway 10 in the fog like the other person did, thankfully.

The tunnel on Wolf Creek Pass

One of my friends practicing his ride and shoot :)

We worked are way west on 160 to Alamosa, Durango, and then stayed in Cortez. Took off the next day and headed up through Telluride, Montrose, and Gunison with a side trip to the black canyon. I must have been to busy ridding as i don;t have many "moving" pictures of this area. Maybe what we need is a "ride report" area.

Coming up the back side (west) of Monarch pass

heading back down

We ended the trip going up through Salida and taking highway 50 until the Hartsel turn off. From there you can ride paved county road to Cripple Creek. We then came home by way of Colorado Springs (lived there for 15 years), Limon, and interstate back to Kansas.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Gosh what great pictures.. A real treat to see..

I don't know about you guys but I'm just getting the hang of shooting with 1 hand and driving at the same time.. I think DB is the master...

Dusty, the fellow on the BMW, did I read somewhere that you meet him along the was and just partnered up for your ride through the Yellowstone and beyond area ??

Nah ... Beemer Brad and I had worked together for 13 years and is a good 'Bud" :cooler:

.... but when we were on that trip, we did have a 'chance meeting' with a fella, (who I laid the handle 'Gadget' on, because of all the little electronic gadgets he carried) our 1st nightat Newton Creek Campground,who was stuck for a campsite. The only two available campsites were designated 'Hard Camper Only', due to the threat of Grizzly Bears in the immediate area. Light was failing, as he approached our campsite, enquiring about any other campgrounds in the area. I asked him howmany tents were in his group. He replied that he needed space for just one tent, as he was traveling solo.

Well, being mostly a solo traveller myself, I told that I could empathize andit was alright with me if he set up with us, but that he'd better check first with the 'Camp Host'(who manages the campground) and if it was fine with him, he was welcome to our campsite. That was on the evening of June 16

Jeff was very grateful for that and we soon got to talking and he told us he used to ride an old BMW R65, back in the day. We soon became good friends and we all enjoyed each others company, having a great time.

Beemer Brad and I would take off for rides during the day, while Jeff went and did his own exploring and we'd meet up at the campsite in the evenings, cooking dinner together and Jeff would show us his latest electronic acquisition, if he had ventured into a town. :D We would spend an hour or so, every night, going over the map atlas he had, exchanging 'wisdom' of favorite routes and campgrounds.

Jeff really liked our easy going style/banter and we enjoyed his. He got around to asking us what are plans were and when I told him, he said he was headed inthat'general direction'as well and asked if we minded if he 'tagged along'. We had no objection and invited him along, so he ended up hanging with us for the rest of our trip. We finally parted ways with him on June 24,just south of the US/Canada border, at Tonasket, WA, having lunch together and exchanging email addies.He was eager formy advice as to routes he should take for the rest of his western sojourn, as he was real impressed with the route that he accompanied us on. He even bought me a brand new map atlas, in appreciation of imparting my advise of 'don't miss routes' for him to take. :cool:

Here's a couple of shots of both Jeff(Gadget) on the left, with Beemer Brad on the right, taken on our last night together at Panhandle Campground, on the Pend Oreille River, WA.

Clowningaround with our cameras...

.... and a more pensive moment ...

I am still in fairly regular contact with Gadget and very much enjoyed his company and sense of humour.

I have met quite a few 'new friends' while out touring. :action:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
56,435 Posts
imported post

I guess I got Gadget mixed up with Beemer Brad..

Interesting good story...

We've meet some fun people on our trips but they've always been going in the other direction.............

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Nobody's telling me to stop posting so I'm staying hot on the trail of Dusty Boots. Great shots by the way dusty, great shot everybody that posted! It's great fun to see where everyone has been and see how many times our paths my have crossed.

Heading west on the way to the top of Wilkerson Pass on Colorado highway 24.

I can't believe I cant find a shot from the top of Wilkerson Pass, must be because I never stop.

West of Wilkerson Pass heading for Hartsel through South Park.

Once we made Hartsel we headed south on highway 9.

We jogged over and caught highway 69 and headed for Silver Cliff.

Think that was the Grim Reaper following me in the last shot.

Highway 69 ruins down the middle of to mountain ranges. Very cool place. This was the view behind us the reason we decided to head south at Hartsel :)

We ended up heading back to the east at Silver Cliff and ran into rain anyway. We dropped into the Springs and stayed the night. The next day we headed for Woodland Park then north to Deckers and points north.

Climbing out of the valley at Deckers.

Eisenhower tunnel on I70

We stopped had some lunch in Idaho Springs then headed north on the Peak to Peak highway.

I had more pictures of the peak to Peak but it was pretty rainy and several didn't show up well. we stayed in Loveland and took in the Thunder In the Rockies rally.

We got some nice sunshine the day we left Loveland.
Highway 34 heading east

We have several miles of this before we get back home.

Getting closer, highway 27 south of the Nebraska/Kansas border.

self portrait :)

That catches me up to 2008. I have some 2009 yet :)

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Here's a great couple we met along the BRP last year and met up with several times along the way. They were a riot to visit with and ride with at times.

I dubbed them Ozzie and Hairritt but their true names were Jack and Helen(I think I got Helens name correct) It would be a pleasure to meet these folks on th roads again.

Ride Safe, Ray:waving:

Attachments

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Nice pics with write up jwhitmore44 :cooler:. I've crossed your home state twice now. I was so amazed of the vastness my first time. Being an easterner in the "Endless Mountains" of Pa.,,, you only see as far as the next hill/mountain. Very different,,,,, but all good;)

Not too far from home

Not too far from Jwwhitmore44's home:)

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
Foodman wrote:
Reality Check
The way Baby is running right now, that sign better be @ a gas stn because that's about what I get to a tank.:(:(:D:D:action::action::action::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:
Our sidecar rig will only get 25 mpg fully loaded, pulling the trailer, wife (can't forget her), and all her stuff :dude:and myfour pairs clothes. Until I get my second tank mounted on my sidecar rig, and probably even willafter that, we carry an extra gallon of gas in a plastic gas can. Just in case we ever see a sign like that.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

45/70fan wrote:
What kind of camera set up are you using for these pictures DB?
Cannon Sure Shot 630 Pictures taken from back of the Wing by my wife. Just point and shoot. I do recommend getting a 2 or 4 gig card for all the pictures.

·
Premium Member
56,435 Posts
imported post

82gl1100iwingman wrote:
fysty-1 wrote:
Foodman wrote:
Reality Check
The way Baby is running right now, that sign better be @ a gas stn because that's about what I get to a tank.:(:(:D:D:action::action::action::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:
Our sidecar rig will only get 25 mpg fully loaded, pulling the trailer, wife (can't forget her), and all her stuff :dude:and myfour pairs clothes. Until I get my second tank mounted on my sidecar rig, and probably even willafter that, we carry an extra gallon of gas in a plastic gas can. Just in case we ever see a sign like that.
As I recall it was 50/60 miles to that mileage gas sign.. I read somewhere it's about a 170 mile stretch.. I was told some of the crouch rocket bunch buy a couple gallon gas jugs to get through......................

161 - 180 of 954 Posts