Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Think about doing these 2 rides....when Oates did these 2 rides there where no highways running coast to coast in Canada so he had to ride the railroads in many places. On his trip to Churchill he road over 600 miles from Hudson Bay Junction on the rails. Anyone who would like to repeat this trip should be aware there is still no road to Churchill. The rail road track to Churchill runs past my backyard

In 1927, Graham arrived in Canada and was employed at Conroy'™s Motorcycle shop in Toronto where he met up with a wartime colleague, Charles Dennis Browne, a salesman for Castrol Oil. During a œgloriously boozy evening, a publicity stunt was hatched to ride a motorcycle across Canada. Ariel Motor Co. supplied a 1928 500cc ohv single, twin port Ariel and a Sturgess (Canadian manufactured) sidecar with a specially made, longer body for sleeping, was fitted.

On July 21, 1928, after dipping the rear wheel of œToby into the Atlantic Ocean, Graham set out on his journey across Canada. On Sept 22, the machine was baptised in the Pacific Ocean at English Bay, Vancouver. This was the œFirst Crossing of Canada on rubber tyres. The ride was 4027 miles and 21 riding days which included many breakdowns and 900 miles on railway ties, a lonely and prolonged test of his mental and physical skills.

In 1932, riding an Ariel Red Hunter with Swallow sidecar to Fort Churchill, he was credited with having taken a rubber tyred vehicle further north than any person in the world and the only person to ever reach Hudson Bay on a motor of any description fitted with ordinary tyres.

go to http://motorcyclehalloffame.ca/j-graham-oates.htm

and

http://www.gregwilliams.ca/?p=1171

for more about this hard core biker.......how about it CJ put a side car on the ST and head on up....

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

This is interesting! I love all aspects of motorcycling history, and this guy wrote some! While I won't be adding a sidecar to the ST very soon, I'm for sure gonna order this book.... Thanks very much for posting this up, Aitkameg!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

(duplicate post)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

(another duplicate post.......although I love to hear myself talk, this is too much!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.