Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Item goes on sale after you paid full price. What would you do?

• 1. Suck it up. You paid full price, get over it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Go talk to the store. Maybe they will make an exception for you.

• 3. Buy a new set at sale price and then return it with the full price reciept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently pulled the carbs on my 1500 apart. While trying to figure out the best way to disconnect, and reconnect the coolant lines, I spotted the answer in my local Canadian Tire store. A set of three 11" long- nosed pliers. $42 for the set. Expensive!

I picked them up and put them back down about three times..

Eventually, I bought them. They were a great help working on the carbs. 'Right tool for the job, does the job right", or something like that. I feel justified in the expensive addition to my tool kit. It would have cost me a whack more to get someone else to do the work.

Then last week, I see the same set on sale. $15.99!!

I paid $42 plus tax = $47.47.

Suddenly I feel screwed. (for the amount of almost $30)

I check the store's policy on line. They will honour the sale price andrefund the differenceup to three weeks from the original purchase date. My original purchase was four weeks ago.

What would you do?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i got a set of long nosed pliers from snap-on best investment i ever made the cheap pliers bend and disform when you try to grab something with them

just make sure they are a good brand and have a decent warranty

i know ive never warrantied my snapon ones but ive seen what happens when people skimp on cheap-o ones

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

maplewingnut wrote:
I recently pulled the carbs on my 1500 apart. While trying to figure out the best way to disconnect, and reconnect the coolant lines, I spotted the answer in my local Canadian Tire store. A set of three 11" long- nosed pliers. $42 for the set. Expensive!

I picked them up and put them back down about three times..

Eventually, I bought them. They were a great help working on the carbs. 'Right tool for the job, does the job right", or something like that. I feel justified in the expensive addition to my tool kit. It would have cost me a whack more to get someone else to do the work.

Then last week, I see the same set on sale. $15.99!!

I paid $42 plus tax = $47.47.

Suddenly I feel screwed. (for the amount of almost $30)

I check the store's policy on line. They will honour the sale price andrefund the differenceup to three weeks from the original purchase price. My original purchase was four weeks ago.

What would you do?
Now that I know that it is CTC you were dealing with, I would take the original reciept back to them and try. Nothing ventured nothing gained. CTC is usually pretty good about things like that, especially is the smaller towns. If you were in TO it might be different. By the way I voted #1.:badgrin:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

You got the tools, it saved you time, and you got the job done.

It's time to man-up and grow a pair.

After a couple of days your new testicles will start feeling right, and you'll quit whining like a little girl.

;) (for the thin-skinned with no humour, I have my asbestos suit on)

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Those SnapOns would cost you $40 each.
I've got a toolbox full of them and seldom find them better than the competition. The lifetime warranty is nice, but most of their stuff no longer carries that.
If they did the job, you are ahead of the game.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i let guys at work borrow a tool 3 times and if they use it 3 times they need to buy it buy the right tools and not just tools to show off and you'll be more efficent at your work which really is all that matters

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

Bring your reciept and simply return the fist set. Once you get your money back, buy another set at the sale price.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Bring your reciept and simply return the fist set. Once you get your money back, buy another set at the sale price.
BINGO! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
I agree!!

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Well I would have voted on buy a new set then return the full price ones back, but somehow that just doesn't feel right to me.....Suck it up???....Yeah I have gotten "taken" on several items in my life, I just sucked it up and asked to be put on their mailing lists, those that had them....Talk to them??? I doubt they will refund you the difference, but that is worth a try, at least to me its the right thing to do....

Now you have a good set of pliers and they are worth their weight in gold when you need them....I couldn't find a set of needle nose pliers that would remove the orfice tube in Ford trucks A/C's, so I took a pair of regular needle nose and ground them down to do that job...Later my Snap on guy said "OH I got needle nose like that", but they were like $30.00, even years ago....

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Broke Winger wrote:
BINGO! :thumbsup:
DING, DING, DING, DING!!!!!!!!!!! We have a winner.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

If they don't offer your money back ask how long they will give you for a return of a new unopened item.

Then purchase another set on sale and return it using the old receipt.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Well, I guess that is an option I didn't consider. I somehow don't think it is right to return an item that was not defective after you have used it.

Sooooo, I bought a set at the sale price and then returned it with the original reciept for a full refund. Store policy is to accept return ofunopened items for 90 days from the original purchase date.

When I was doing my internet browse to find out their policy, I came across several comments suggesting that what I did was unethical, etc. Deceitful, I will concede. But I will get over it.

Now, what to spendthe thirty bucks I saved on......?

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

I guess my eyes in the mirror are worth more than yours, if you can sleep well with it so can I. Jay

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

maplewingnut wrote:
Broke Winger wrote:
Well, I guess that is an option I didn't consider. I somehow don't think it is right to return an item that was not defective after you have used it.

Sooooo, I bought a set at the sale price and then returned it with the original reciept for a full refund. Store policy is to accept return ofunopened items for 90 days from the original purchase date.

When I was doing my internet browse to find out their policy, I came across several comments suggesting that what I did was unethical, etc. Deceitful, I will concede. But I will get over it.

Now, what to spendthe thirty bucks I saved on......?
A Conscience???? :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Sorry... I couldn't resist.... :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
I suspect that was what caused any hesitation in the first place. Momentary as it was.

As this emoticonasks "What's That For" :wtf:

Apparently (per Rusty), I need to consider a new set of nuts.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Perhaps with your new found wealth, now you can afford a set....

70% of the respondents to this posted voted for you to take the high road.......You squandered the opportunity to do the right thing

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

maplewingnut wrote:
roscoepc wrote:

As this emoticonasks "What's That For" :wtf:
That's not what I understood it to mean.:D:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

+1

:wtf: - does not mean, "What's that for?"

Oh - and here ya go! I found 'em on da Interwebs n stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
+1

:wtf: - does not mean, "What's that for?"

Oh - and here ya go! I found 'em on da Interwebs n stuff.
Thanks!! :waving::waving:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.