Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Longest Motorcycle Journey 457.000 miles !
When Emilio Scotto (Argentina) was nine years old, he told his mother, “Tomorrow, I am going to travel around the world”. She laughed, and replied, “tomorrow, you are going to school”, but from that day on, he set his mind on wandering the planet, he bought atlases and maps and was certain that one day his dream would become a reality. At 30, Emilio Scotto quit his job, got on his Honda Gold Wing motorcycle, affectionately named "the black princess", and with $300 headed down the street. Emilio had never left Argentina, but he had such faith that this seemingly reckless move would transform him into the man he wanted to be. Emilio Scotto circumnavigated the planet both clockwise and anticlockwise consecutively, traveling the equivalent distance to to the moon and back to earth, visiting 214 countries and 28 territories. His motorcycle used the original motor plus one spare, 9 seats, 12 batteries, 700 litres of oil, 42,000 litres of gasoline and 86 tyres. Scotto filled 11 passports of 64 pages each.Along the way he learned 5 languages, was imprisoned 6 times, he was arrested on suspicion of drug dealing, of being a Russian spy, and of being an agent for Libyan leader Colonel Gadhafi; he was accused of being a Rwandan spy, encountered cannibals and contracted malaria. His girlfriend, Monica, joined him in India, and they were married in a Hindu ceremony, before traveling on together. Finally, on April 2, 1995, he returned to Argentina and a hero’s welcome, after 10 years, 2 months and 19 days on the road. The former president of Argentina said on his return "stories of tenacity and courage like Emilio's make not only one country proud, but the entire world".

Check this link outhttp://www.emilioscotto.com/home.html , I found that story last year and I,m still impressed ! If somebody should know something about a GL1100 I think this man does !

Who said a Goldwing not last for ever;)

PS. I got an email last year from Emilio (picture below)he wrote: Continuedyour travelling thats life !

Jan Denmark

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the great web-site and stiry about Emilio and his amazing bike ride!!

Sure makes Gold Wing owners proud !!!

I use to correspond with a man "Arthur Blesset" who as an evangelist has carried a 12 foot long cross around the world , through more than 280 countries for over 35 years, his book "Arthur the Pilgram" is exciting, basically it's his diary in book form! He's well known in Ireland (Belfast area)! I admire guys like this who have the courage to pursue their dreams at all cost!!!

These guys don't quietly get laid into their graves on the last day, but they rather come skidding in sideways on their backs leaving a rooster tail of dust, slamming into their final resting place saying WOW , what a Hell of a Ride !!! In other words , they enjoyed their life !

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The only person in the world that can make you truly happy,,, is YOU!

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

That is some story and shows real determination on Emiio's part.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

A friend loaned me Emilo Scotto's book, "The Longest Ride". I could hardly put it down. It is a real testament to both Emilio and his GL1100. What a story. I highly recommend his book to everyone.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Renegade wrote:
The only person in the world that can make you truly happy,,, is YOU!

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All
I agree!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I went around the world twice.........on a C130. This doesn't begin to compare with Emilio's epic journey. WOW!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Just curious if his mom is still living. Did she know about him fulfilling his dream?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I think that bike is now on display in Las Vegas.

Honda then built and gave him a custom GL1800, all black, with short windshield, and modified headers ect.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

2slim wrote:
Charley and Ewan have a ways to go. :action:
No, they're riding BMW's. they can't match it. They'd need a trailer-full of final-drives to accompany them.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
imported post

I know this thread was started over 5 years ago but thanks for sharing....interesting!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.