Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Exceptional!
That is the exact bike, year and color of my first GL in Salem Oregon.
Loved that bike.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Excellent looking bike! I'd love to have it.

Not to be a stick in the mud but I couldn't see the access port for the kick starter anywhere around the stator. I know the kick starter was dropped with the 77 model so could he have the year wrong? Wouldn't matter to anyone but a collector. Tell me my eyes aren't going bad.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Ok, after checking some of the manuals it appears the kick starter access hole is just behind the stator cover and above the clutch basket cover. So in none of the pics is there a clear shot of it.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

My 77 has a kick starter.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Outstanding! Would be very cool to have that!

John

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

1978 was the first year that no longer had a kick starter. They have three gauges on the tank.

John

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Brings back a lot of fond memories. That's the colour I wanted, but ended up with a red one instead(not fussy on that shade of red)and soon painted it black with blue pinstriping and full Vetter equipment. As for the kick starter, never could get mine to start that way. :baffled:

Lots of smiles per gallon on that old trusty stead. Was quite the bike in her day! I am sure the new owner of that bike will be satisfied with that outstanding example of a 1st generation wing.

old photo of my 75, on the auto road up Whiteface Mountaain, by Lake Placid, in 1978

Forced to sellher in 85 and still miss her to this day. :(

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

It sure looks just like my 75, only cleaner. I would like to have that original seat and front fender. The kick starterattaches in behind the stator to start and mounts up under the right hand side tank cover when not in use, Its not easy to start with the kick starter.

Peter

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Just might make me ride a two wheeler again, I could pick that one up :D Nice bike.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
5,404 Posts
imported post

Went for $6600.00. Lovely bike.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Excellent looking bike! I'd love to have it.

Not to be a stick in the mud but I couldn't see the access port for the kick starter anywhere around the stator. I know the kick starter was dropped with the 77 model so could he have the year wrong? Wouldn't matter to anyone but a collector. Tell me my eyes aren't going bad.
Sorry but you are wrong.........The 1977 Gold Wing still had the optional crank. This is not a guess, I owned a Blue 1977 for 14 years.

Check the rear engine mounting bracket, it is black. The 1977 rear engine bracket was "chrome". The 1975 and 1976 brackets were black............

Another thing, the small "oblong cover" below the left rear engine bracket was "chrome" on the 1977 year bikes. The one in the picture is not "chrome". The 1975 and 1976 years were not chrome.

Also, the face on the Speedometer and Tachometer for the 1977 was gray, the 1975 and 1976 was green. The one in the picture is green.

It's not a 1977 year bike.............!

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

My 76 is stock cept for the seat and bars
I wish I had kept the seat, it's hard to find a nice OEM now
I changed the bars to Euro sport, I like the forward seating

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.