Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When giving my bike a general overall checkup last night, I found something that sent a shiver down my spine. I found a bolt protruding approximately 1 1/4 inches from the passenger front timing cover and lodging itself against the radiator . When looking at the "passenger" side of the bike, and looking down at the timing covers, this bolt protrudes between the second timing cover bolt and the where the two covers join. Look at the picture but do not beat me up for the dirty engine. I live on a dirt road!:goofygrin:

A small piece of cover is broken off also and sits where the bolt is. The bolt's threads do not seem to be stripped nor does it show any signs of a thread lock material on it. The PO said that the belts had been replaced before and I have probably put over 3K miles on it since I have purchased it.

My question is this? Why did this bolt back itself out? I think that this may be the crankshaft bolt. The bike ran fine when I brought it home the other day, no strange noises, and it idled just fine.

I am going to open things up to check it out. At this point, I plan on new belts and a poorboy kit if I can make one fit for a 77 GL 1000. Chrome may also be in the future. There goes my tool buying at Sears this year:p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Looks to small for the crank and if it was your pulleys woudl be loose and probably falling off..IE crash bang pistons/valves. Maybe just be a bolt that fell down there.

I'd pop the bottom of the radiator off and let it fallout and see what you have.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Not a biggie if no damage to rad. Good chance that this is just an oversight when bolts were being torqued. The cover serves mainly as a shield to protect the belts and adjusters on the front of the engine. (dry cavity) My guess is the PO or mech replcd. the belts and overlooked tightning the bolts down to spec. With heat expansion and viberation it backed out. I would check the length and make sure it does't bottom out in the hole(correct bolt) before tightning it again. ( I'm saying this based on the thought there is a hole the bolt is protruding from) If just lodged there it may be road trash or one of those -- now where did that d--- thing go? Oh well!

:waving:Keno

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

That's not a timing belt cover bolt that has backed out. Look closely and you'll see the timing cover bolt is where it's supposed to be.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Looks like the crank bolt. Probably came loose and reamed it's self threw the cover. Timing shield probably keeping the crank pulley in place.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Judging from the size of the bolt, and where it is on the engine, I would say that it is the crank bolt. Is it possible to safety wire this bolt back in place? I may replace this bolt anyway with a longer one if I go with a poorboy conversion.

All in all, this bike must really love to be worked on and doted over because when I pay special attention to it, things start to function again (turn signals, clutch) or it will cause me to find new things to work on.... Can anyone say Christine!:shock:Wait!, the car in the movie was red too:shock::cheeky1:

Everrett

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I would pull the radiator out, and pull off the timing covers.... could have been just a "dropped" bolt.... but I would want to make sure everything is okay

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

That whole area looks like carp. Rust and white staining. I'd be tearing into that and looking to scrap and paint it all fresh and sweet

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:You say you just found the conditon but the photo is dated "01/01/2007"!

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

Probably just means his camera is like mine and hasn't had the date set in a whils.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Old Gold wrote:
Probably just means his camera is like mine and hasn't had the date set in a whils.
:waving:My digital cam is over 6 yrs. old and I've never had to reset the date.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't worry about wiring the bolt in place, they don't commonly come out. Best bet would be a bit of blue (medium strength)loctite on the threads when you replace it.

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

The crank bolt has a 17mm head on it. The bolt in the picture is way too small to be the crank bolt. Looks like it's not the cam beltcover bolt either... as pointed out the cover bolt is still in place. I think it's an 'extra' bolt that fell out or was dropped and eventually lodged itself in between the cam belt cover and the radiator. If there's no damage to the radiator just remove it and let it be.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Might be a tensioner mounting bolt that got flung through the cover by the belt or a pulley. Definitely want to pull the covers off the belt and inspect things before running the engine any more.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

morram wrote:
That whole area looks like carp. Rust and white staining. I'd be tearing into that and looking to scrap and paint it all fresh and sweet
I didnt see a fish anyplace :baffled:, but it might smell like one . :cheeky1:

Just messing with ya morram , my spelling is normally not up to par .

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

It's hard to believe it did not damage one or two of the radiator cores. Lucky. Inspect the radiatorto see if it did shave a core a little thinner. If so, you could put a little build it up with a little silver solder.

Use loctite. My rebuild motor had the cam pulley bolts loosen after being torqued properly. It made a lifter tick noise. I removed the cam and crankbolts, used locktite, andre-torqued wet.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Hey ya all!. Thanks for the information so far. It may take me a few days to get to the bike again because of work but I am ready to dig in.

I do plan on looking at a different radiator when I do this inspection. I have been looking at one from a Diahatsu car or from a Geo Metro. They both are single row radiators with small diameter radiator hose openings and one even comes with dual fans and a radiator shroud. All for $40.00 so that shouldn't be so bad.

The picture I posted was taken on my daughters camera that I just put batteries in and used it.

Everrett

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I'm with the crowd that says it's just a bolt someone dropped that happened to land there. I can't think of anything in that area of the timing chain that would have a bolt that size in it to back out, and then comes the "How the heck did it wedge there and not go through the radiator?" question.

Pull the bottom of the radiator out and see if there's actually a hole in the timing cover.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

I think it's a stray, road debri bolt too. Theres not enough corrision on it to be one of your! LOL Just kidding. I'd say it was a fairing mount bolt, but the 77's didn't have the standard fairing.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I'm looking at the picture and see some blue around the threads. It looks like locktite. I would have said its one of the tensioner bolts. if it fell in from the road I dought it would have punched a hole into the rad in that way. Hopefully it's just the adjuster bolt.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.