Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everyone,

I found this in my back tire today. The air pressure is normal 44 PSI actually Nitrogen Pressure.
Can I repair this without removing the back wheel?
Can the tire be safely used as it is new only 6000 miles on it. Or is this the end for this tire?
It looks like a nail or screw and I may have rode with it from Arizona but i really dont know.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Greener

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,152 Posts
imported post

I think the picture is overly exaggerating the size of the hole.

Personally, I would use one of the thick rope plugs and goop that goes with it. Plug it, let it dry a bit, and air the tire up.

Worst case, I would pull the tire, have it patch internally with a big patch to cover the hole and forget about it.

Middle case, get one of those thick rope plugs with a flexible cover on it. You goop up the cover and the rope and push it through the tire. Then you pull it back out real tight to make that cover pull down flush inside and help to seal the hole.

Consult your local tire store, they should be experts on that thing.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

I've always liked the stop n go kits - here's a link

I've always considered these very reliable.

Your Mileage May Vary, but I like 'em.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

Pull that screw and plug the hole, it will last the rest if the tire life.
The part of the screw inside the tire will be a lot thinner than the head showing in the picture, which means a smallish puncture.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
imported post

it's also possible that once you pull it out, it may not have went all the way through. Hey! It can happen :)
But I agree with the rest, plug it and ride. That's a safe location for a plug.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i agree plug the hole done it a billion times

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

I've plugged tires on cars and bikes, and ran them until they were bald and showing threads, and never had one go flat from the plug.

For legal reasons, no one will tell you that you can or should do something like that! (Me included! :ROFL: ) They will also tell you that Seal & Air and the related products are only temporary.

Do whatever you feel safe with. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.