Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looked at an '86 SEI today with 33,000 miles. It was in pretty good shape for it's age. Engine started without hesitation. Everything worked, the paint was in good condition with a few scuffs. New front tire and about 2,000 miles on the rear. No rips or tears in the seats, backrest or drivers backrest and had sheepskin covers. The stator was upgraded and has a mass quantity of lights on it everywhere. A few years ago the dealer changed out the stock battery and installed a car battery in the left saddlebag because he was going through a new battery every year. That did not seem right to me. I believe reducing some of the lights, changing some others to LEDs and checking the wiring for proper connections would solve the battery problem. It has the radio, CB, intercom,trip computer (even though I don't know what it's used for) and a trailer hitch. Brakes and clutch had good pressure and transmission shifted easy through all the gears sitting still with the engine running. Couldn't ride it, snow on the ground.Said he would come down to $3500 if I wanted it. Would like your educated opinions, thoughts & ideas, pros & cons of getting this bike or looking for a newer 1500. What else should I be looking at before I make up my mind. I've been away from Wings for 20 years so I don't know them the way I used to. Thanks All.

Rick

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

I to had an 86.I also had to many lights on it.The battery could not keep up,removed some lights,fixed the problem.Was my first wing and I loved that bike

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Not a bad price for that mileage. The problem is parts. If you love an electrical/mechanical challenge, you'd probably enjoy the bike. Otherwise, I'd recommend you move on to a 1500, especially later. But ~~~~~, that's more money.

Myself, I wouldn't mind having that SEi, as I love a challenge.
(not like I used to, tho :()

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The electrical and mechanical challenge I believe I can handle without a problem. It's the fuel injection I have never worked on. I went through the Honda school and completed my Master Tech in 1982 in Japan while I was in the Air Force. Worked on numerous Wings when I was stationed in San Antonio. All the Chapter H bikes, all the San Antonio PD bikes, but no fuel injected bikes. Got restricted from riding by the hospital commander because of lower back problems and got out of bikes in 1987. I need to know how much trouble the fuel injection system is and what special equipment I need to work on it. Any other information is appreciated.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,483 Posts
imported post

I've owned mine since '04 and had no problems with the fuel injection system. Also the bike had set for 7 years with out being cranked and the fuel system was pretty laquered up. After changing the fuel tank and the fuel pump all I had to do to clean the system was run fuel injector cleaner through it and she runs fine!! Nothing against Carb's, but I think I'd still be trying to get her right if it wasn't for the EFI!!

BTW, $3500.00 is a good price!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site Deaddawg! :waving::waving:

The LTD/SEI are in my opinion the best of the four cylinder Goldwings. It's a real shame Honda didn't put fuel injection in all the 'Wings from '85 on. That being said the only problem with those models is they are very complex electrically and many parts are scarce since they only made these bikes for two years. Add to that they were the highest priced of the 1200s and you can see why there weren't a whole lot of them. Many of the unavailable parts can be substituted, I believe one of the more hard to come by parts, the throttle position sensor, can be replaced with an automotive unit with a bit of modification. If you have one of these bikes don't expect a bike shop to work on it.

On the other hand when these bikes are maintained and in good running shape they are second to none. My SEI would idle smoothly at the same rpm when icy cold or hot. The trip computer is great, it tells you how much fuel you have left or burned to the nearest tenth of a gallong. You get a readout of your instant and average mpg and much more. I got the hots for a 'Wing with a reverse but wish I could have kept my '86 SEI too.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Rick, there's a lot of good info out there, and all I can say, if you get it, start pursuing a crank sensor (NS). You're almost certainly going to need it soon. If taking a long trip, it would be good to have it with you. One day it won't start, till it cools down, and it goes down-hill from there.
Also, do you know any history of that bike? Like belts? How old are tires? That kind of stuff.

Now, back to my regularly scheduled Manheim Steamroller. And a bit of Trans-Siberian :band: :cool: :cooldj: :cooldj: :cooldj:

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

All just my opinion:

I have been looking into used Goldwings for a few weeks now myself, and also had concerns about the SEi. This is just me, but I think I have decided to stay away from them, and look for a "normal" 87 or possibly an 88 six cylinder for the right price. With 33,000 miles and a car battery I don't think $3,500 is that great of a bargain myself. Were it "stock" and well under 30k then IMO it would be a good price. Having said all that, I love the color of the SEi, and I wish Honda had kept doing the FI thing, but it's such a one-off model it scares me.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,483 Posts
imported post

Actually, it's a "2 off" model as the Ltd Ed and the Aspy SEi were basicly the same bike. As far as the price?? Check on E-bay and see what they are selling for!!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

Nice looking LTD there. It puzzles me why only the two year run for FI on the Goldwings.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

The LTD was the first $10,000 Wing, and the SEi was about 10,500+. If I remember right, the 85 Aspy was about 6500. Huge difference in price for the time !
And, the 86 SEi was actually one version of the Aspy, which ticked some folks off. A LTD was not a version of the Aspy. Kinda wierd, if you ask me. Anyway, if you can trust the things, they're way neat. That LTD of mine pulled a heavy trailer like nobody's business. But, not a lot of torque at low rpm, like the six's. And, such a sweet sound, with that Ext. alt whirring away at dbbl crank speed. MMMMMMMM-mmmmm-Uh !

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

OK, those new prices explain a lot to me. That's a huge jump in price.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
imported post

Rick,

If you are interested in that SEi, I would think that you could putsome downward price pressure on the seller given that your riding season is at least 4 months away and the national economy is in recession and Michigan is one of the hardest hit areas.

I would think that you could get the seller down to $3,000 or even lower. Although, many sellers have a set lowest price in their mind and won't go below it no matter what the market conditions dictate (trying to get my father to sell his house and move into a senior living center illustrates that mindset :shock:). I would think right now would be the best time to get the best deal on anything.

I agree with Oregonwinger (Bob) that owning an LTD/SEi can present challenges IF you have fuel injection related problems. I suspect most owners don't run into any problems with the fuel injection, but if you do it can be tough to troubleshoot and fix. I doubt there are any dealers who would work on one with FI problems and even if you found one, I suspect the cost would be prohibitive.

If you can do your own work, however, there is a huge amount of information on this forum to help you with just about anything as well as many people eager to help.

Finding parts can be an issue, though. You can still find everything on Ebay from time to time, but the prices that some things like the engine computer sell forare just outrageous. There are, however, many subs for the specialized parts. I used info from Bob and the GL1200 board to build a new TPS for my LTD from an industrial rotary position sensor (see the Reference and FAQ Forum). It has worked perfectly and if it wears out or breaks, I can get another one for about $40.

For me, however, the TPS only partially solved my "off-idle-flat-spot" problem. I am in the process of finishing up replacing just about all of the FI-related components (everything checks out okay - the only thing left to try is replacement).

If you are a go-getter, problems likemine can be seen asan interesting challenge. And it was when I first got the bike 3 years ago. But in the past year health problems (failed hip replacement) make me just want to ride the blasted thing instead of working on it all the time. Having watched me struggle with the LTD, my wife very seriously wants me to buy a new '09 and forgetabout fixingthe LTD :banana:. I may take her up on it, butit still gets me that Ican't get the LTD to run properly - I'll just try a few more things ........

One of the problems with buying any year wing is finding one with relatively low mileage (<50,000). You do have that in your favor with the SEi.

Let us know what you decide and good luck.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looking for low mileage 'Wings is really not all that important, there are many with over 150,000 miles and still are sound. The engines and transmissions will last way beyond that. Cosmetic condition is more important from a monetary standpoint. The plastic parts are more expensive as a rule than the mechanical components. My 1500 has about 127,000 miles on it and I fully expect it to continue to continue to operate as well as it has been since new for at least another 50-100k miles. Compression is very close to factory specs, the engine uses no oil between changes and shifts as well as it did new. There have been no repairs on it other than the usual consumables, tires, brakes, filters, etc.

The only consideration I'd have on the older wings, and by that I mean more than ten years old is that you have to be prepared to do most of the work the bike will need to keep it in good condition. That shouldn't be major work but normal replacements and trouble shooting will usually have to be done by the owner because Honda is absolutely miserable about supporting these machines. Few Honda shops will work on a 'Wing over ten years old. Many won't work on a 1500 over ten years old even though they have been basically the same for twenty years. In three more years it's likely the only 'Wing that Honda shops will work on will be the 1800s. It's really unfortunate, this is the worst thing about the Goldwing, Harley Davidson and BMW sure provide better support for their bikes.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Well said, Paul and Paul. ??? Now, as George Noory says, "there are no coincidences". But, this seems like a coincidence.

How's the hip re-do, Paul N.? I have a feeling you'd really enjoy the 09. Can I have the GPS?? LOL It's much improved, but still no route implanting, and still no touch screen. Don't think much of the tpms.

And Paul W. You're surely not going to ride in the morning, I would presume. 8:30 still ok?

And, I totally agree about the local shop thing. Pathetic, but of course, those others are much easier to figure out. If they'd pay a decent wage, they might keep qualified service personel.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I appreciate everyones input on this bike. Between your input, the old ladys thoughts and opinions from others in my SCRC chapter I'm going to walk away from this one. I really don't want to screw with fuel injection. I'm going to look for a good 1500. I enjoy tweeking with carbs, cams, heads, exhaust and intakes. After playing with and tweeking my '82 in, I was able to get it to walk the front wheel in three gears two up. Think I would like the opportunity to see what I could do with a 1500. Thanks again for the information.

Rick

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I hope you find a good one. Lots of deals out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.