Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm looking at a 1500 SE. Any particular idiosyncrasies or problems with that year I should be on the lookout for? I checked the buying guide which was helpful but nothing beats personal experience.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Mine's an 89 and it has been bulletproof so far. There were a few improvements in 90, 94 and 97 but none of them were major. The 1500 series is the best for reliability proven over time of all of them, IMO. A few bank angle sensors and some of the alts need work but all in all, pretty tough to beat. No broken frame recalls or anything like that at all.

Main thing is how well has it been maintained, is the big question.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
Hi Randy.......what year is it?
Oops, meant to put that in. '93.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Mine's an 89 and it has been bulletproof so far. There were a few improvements in 90, 94 and 97 but none of them were major. The 1500 series is the best for reliability proven over time of all of them, IMO. A few bank angle sensors and some of the alts need work but all in all, pretty tough to beat. No broken frame recalls or anything like that at all.

Main thing is how well has it been maintained, is the big question.
From the ad-

Oil has been changedevery 4000 by the owner,serviced at the local Honda dealership, including timing belts changed at 100k miles and progressive springs in front end replaced at 90k miles.ThisGold Wing was sold new at a Honda dealership to the first owner whodrove it for approx 80k miles and then sold it to the second owner. The second owner had always wanted a Gold Wing, but after buying it realized that it was too much bike for what he needed, so he sold itto the current owner after riding it less than 1500 miles. The title is a Texas title and is free and clear and available. Even without considering the fun and excitement of a road trip, the economical fuel use is enough to entice anyone into becoming the next proud owner on this very well-kept Honda Gold Wing SE! It comes complete with three keys, original leather-bound owner's manual, original complete tool kit, receiver and hitchand air compressor line for on-board air compressor.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Hi Randy

As has already been pointed out pretty much all the GL1500's are bomb-proof.
One of the main issues tends to be niggly electrical faults, these are very complex bikes with lots of switches,sensors and connectors although this may not be quite such a problem for you in Texas as they do quite often seem to be damp related.
Are you a competent home mechanic?? If so you will save a small fortune on repair bills (lots of great advice and how to do's on the forum).
Hope you decide to buy the Wing and enjoy it.

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I would prefer a SE over an Aspencade and definitely over an Interstate.

Askif everything works mechanically and electrically.

Hopefully, you are getting this at a good price. Offer less, since it is the wrong time of year. Insult them now, and wait a couple of months, ha. Spring is a long time waiting.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I think the only negative thing I have heard about was the lack of room if you are fairly tall. Cant remember anything about passenger comfort.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

Its a Wings, there is nothing left but to get er done!

Keep on Winging:bat:

·
Premium Member
61,401 Posts
imported post

Long legs are a plus for the 93..
Check the cruse control and air shocks.......

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

my 88 has been about bullet proof, 138,000 miles and 1 fuel pump. every once in a while you do need to do some heavy maint. Mine is up on lift right now, replacing both tires, resealing the forks, fluid change on the brakes. Will be done this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

The 88 Gl1500 sounds very much like the one you are looking at. It was dealer maintained by the previous two owners. Since I had the dealer replace the timing belts on it this last spring/summer the mechanic commented on how good it looked and the excellent shape it was in. The only glitch since purchasing the bike has been the lcd has started to delaminate a bit on the right side. I just ignore it.
Purchased with 81k on the clock, now has 93k. Would ride in anywhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.