Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any suggestions, places to buy, buy one get one (lol, like that'll happen), etc...

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I bought mine on ebay, after trying them on locally. Make sure you try one on, first...

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I bought an HJC, and am happy with it. They all are a bit noisy, but I like the fit, and the quality of the latches. I bought one for MrsUBW, too.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

how do these full face helmets that the whole front flips up do if you want to ride with the front open (up)? do they stay up or fall down if you hit a bump/ general riding vibration etc.? if it's ok to ride with them open, does that scoop (chin piece) catch a lot of wind?

i currently use a half helmet with a flip down sheild on it that most of the time is up because my face gets to hot with it down, but sometimes in the rain or cold i flip it down. i have found with this setup the rain still comes in between the helmet & sheild around the gap were the snaps are so i still get water on my glasses so i can't see & if i stick my head above the windsheild with the helmet sheild up it catches the wind & yanks the helmet back.

what i want is a 3/4 helmet with one of the build in (tight) flip down sheilds but everything i have tried on in that style is to small. it seams that in general i need a 2xl or 3xl depending on brand, but everything in the style i want stops at 2xl & i need a 3xl by their sizing yet other brands of 3/4 helmets with the snap on sheilds i fit in 2xl.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I will only ride with mine up when I am on a country road, with no other cars, and even then only very rarely.

When I do, most of the time it will stay up, sometimes slipping a bit down with wind hits.

I think that if I went down, while the front was up, it would be pretty ugly. The torque of the flipfront extended outward, if it hit right, would likely twist the head pretty hard.

Its best to use the flip front for water when you are on the side of the road, or for when you pull along side another bike to talk... that kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
I bought an HJC, and am happy with it. They all are a bit noisy, but I like the fit, and the quality of the latches. I bought one for MrsUBW, too.
Same here - the model on mine/hers is Symax II

·
Premium Member
62,938 Posts
imported post

I have a flip up and for me it's the only way to go.. I'd keep trying on all the brands until I found one that's comfortable.. To me they all fit a little different.. I couldn't order one with out trying it on first.. For me, my next egg crate will be a Noland.. They fit me and I like the strap latch.. Also I'd order an extra shield.. If they discontinue that style helmet and you need one you're screwed..

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I just ordered Bell Apex from the same place. Decided to go with full face this time

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

I have 2 of them. HJC Sy-max & HJC CL-Max.

Like them both but the Sy-Max seems to be of higher quality.

Both a a bit noisy. I only raise the chinbar when stopped at a red light or traffic jam. I do ride with the visor either fully or partially open though. My windshield is tall enough to prevent wind blast in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
imported post

I have a Fulmer Modus, and I like it. It's lighter than my HJC full-face, so much so that the HJC is my winter-only helmet now.

I don't ride with the chin bar up, like others only at stoplights or in traffic jams to cool off. :) I will occasionally ride with the visor up, but only in town, otherwise it funnels too much wind into my face.

There is a bit more wind noise in the Fulmer than the HJC, mostly due to the hinges on the side sticking out a little farther. It's not bad, though.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Riding with a convertible "flip up" helmet... with the chin bar in the up position makes little sense to me. :baffled:May as well have an open face helmet on. The 3/4 or open face helmet is quieter anyway. I transitioned to the convertible helmet years ago. Presently I have the Symax II, but there are others and they are all getting better each year.
Helmet manufacturers warn about riding with the chin bar locked in the up position. Obviously it will catch the air and pull your head around at highway speed. But most of all.... I think it looks stupid!:shock: Like having the trunk or saddle bag lid left open. "Lower your forklift"!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

i use a HJC CL-MAX. very good helmet. it gives me all day comfort. reasonably quiet on most of my bikes. plus the ear pockets come out easily for installing headset speakers.

Robin

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I have the Nolan N102 and really like it. I will only ride face up if I'm going slow otherwise it'sface down for safety. The great part is that I have the option to do either and that was the deciding factor for me. Whichever brand you decide on make sure you try it on and it fits correctly. Way too much money to gamble on. :waving:

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Hi

I am happy with the HJC instead of riding with the chin bar up, I remove the face shield and wear sun glasses. It's almost like the chinbar isn't there and I get the feel of an open helmet. I keep the shield in the trunk so when it rains I just clip it back on no tools needed.

Good Luck Tom

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I'm a Nolan N102'er also. A black, red and yellow one for each bike I commute on. Like Tubawinger, corventure and Gunshot10 said, riding with the chin bar in the up position makes little sense unless you're poking along. I'll do it when riding to the main drag or in a drive through as it's so much easier than trying to talk through the chin bar. Once I move into traffic or ride mode the bar comes down and locks. I found the Nolan to be the lightest next to the King of helmets Shoei and half the price. I paid $210 for my first then $165 for the others. The up mode is secure on the Nolans crazzyrman. I doubt you could get it to flop riding backwards.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I guess I'm flippin a coin on the Nolan/HJC. I dont think any of our local shops carry Nolan, but a lot carry HJC (including the wing dealer, actually I think thats all he sells). Probably going to end up with the HJC if they are comfortable and they make one small enough for my wife. She now has a XS KBC and its a little too big. She wears a thicker do-rag underneath to help out, but not much.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Gunshot10 wrote:
I have the Nolan N102 and really like it. I will only ride face up if I'm going slow otherwise it'sface down for safety. The great part is that I have the option to do either and that was the deciding factor for me. Whichever brand you decide on make sure you try it on and it fits correctly. Way too much money to gamble on. :waving:
I too use this helmet and it also has a removable inner shield . to controll foggin , infact I haven't had it to fog up at any temp or weather

daughter rides with HJC CL- Max Like it also :waving:

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

I used a KBC modular for about 2 years and is terrible, but a safe helmet. Very often the hinge for the modular would come off track and it had to opened up with a 4mm allen wrench, the helmet is also very noisy-lots of wind noise.

Loved the Modular feature though, great if you wear glasses, and you go in & pay for gas , just flip it up and you can converse.

Bought the KBC at cycle gear & they gave me what I paid for it, when I got a Nolan 102. The nolan is lighter and Quieter, and the flip sun shield works for me.

:headbanger:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.