Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I may have found a nice deal local, a White 95 SE asking $3500.
Needs cleaned up, why do people try to sell things and just sit them out dirty and nasty? LOL

Anyway I was thinking for the price while looking at it, maybe? But then we started it and lot's of noise from engine!
Can't really decide what it was or how to describe it.
Probably not exhaust leak, don't sound like carbs, not a rattle like really bad 4th. Maybe a 4th just starting to go bad? I know a way to check that but I had to leave, was just getting home from 400 mile ride around the block and had to meet wife at a store LOL

Anyway, other than those things, what else could cause a bad engine noise, internal type sound, almost rod like or rubbing, grinding, loose, etc.. Not clunky though nor a hard rattle? Sounds about same from front as from side.
He said it has always sounded like that, and just replaced timing belt adjusters and belts are new last year.

If this is a 4th gear issue starting to pop up it's not worth but maybe $2K-$2500 to me looking at rest of bike.

I'll have to ride out and check this one more in a day or two.
The engine scares me a little, but if it's minor then may not be a bad deal.
Bad engine, I think for a cheap price may be good parts bike or install the 99 engine in it?

Overall looks of the bike I'd call a medium I think. Can't tell how well it will clean up, and maybe some touch up painting needed.

He says he is selling it as too big, needs something lighter weight that does not need a reverse to back it up LOL
I'm thinking maybe offer my 1100I in part trade, but I just registered that yesterday and transferred the title to AR. , $17 total with life time collector plate! 4-5 weeks to get the title back from state they say, though it's often much faster.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
All the 1500 engines I have heard run are very quiet but have seen it mentioned here that if the alternator dampers are bad it will make a terrible noise.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave, I always respect your opinion allot! Really!

If I get a deal worked on this bike I'd buy you breakfast in Branson if you want to ride up and check it out LOL
Maybe even buy the gas for the trip! LOL

Funny thing is I made my famous ride to Branson, MO. for breakfast, then when I got there I did not want to eat, so I rode down to Mountain Home, AR. and got 2 fer $2 hot dogs with all the works and then only ate 2 dogs!
I must be getting old!!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I replaced the rubber isolators in the alternator coupler on my 1500 around 80,000 miles. I'd been driven nuts with an odd buzzing noise, like a piece of sheet metal vibrating, looked all over the bike for something loose but no joy. It just happened that I pulled the alternator to check its bearings and discovered the rubber isolators were hard as rocks. I put in new ones and viola! No more buzzing.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Always concerned when advised " just replaced timing belts and adjusters" or any other major component.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.