Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, I know I'm going to garner ALOT of weird looks and laughs, but here goes, hehe, I'm laughing myself just typing this!
Ok, I'm 23 years old, I've been riding street bikes since I was 18, I started out with a 2007 Honda Shadow 750 which I certainly cut my teeth on (at 2k on the Odo I had 2 highway incidents within a day of each other! ATGATT insured only a sore butt! Thankfully no incidents in the 30k miles since then knock on wood!). Then later moved to a 2008 Yamaha R6 (which is now my wife's main bike!)
So here's my question, my father owns a 1998 Kawasaki Voyager (very similar to the goldwing as far as I've always been told) and I've driven it solo and with the wife on the back, I'd say about 750 miles total. I was reasonably comfortable piloting it around and absolutely loved (and was amazed) at how maneuverable it was in comparison to my honda shadow cruiser, in addition to the excellent full fairing, etc. etc. from a great touring bike.
Well long story short here I am, 5'7" and 130lbs wet and considering picking up a Ggoldwing as my third bike, but I'm just not sure if it's going to be too big of a bike for me. I simply can't decide between a GL1800 and a Suzuki GSXR 1300 (the Hayabusa). Yes... start laughing now :D However I assure you I'm completely serious and am 100% evenly torn between the two. I love touring with a big luxury bike, I grew up doing that on the back of my dad's Voyager and that is what started my interest in motorcycles in the first place! However once I sat on that R6 I realized how much fun it was to ride a sport bike as well.
I'm very much a long distance rider, I love to take trips, the wife loved riding on the back of the Voyager the few times I took it out and is actually pushing me towards the Goldwing, however I've also heard the 'Busa is a good sport-tourer with decent fairing protection and (obviously) power for days.
Anyone have any advice? How decent is the performance from the Goldwing, how would you compare the handling and weight difference between it and the '98 Kawi Voyager I rode?
Any advice would be much appreciative and thanks for reading my long post, hope I didn't ramble too much!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Firstly, iconchrono, a big warm welcome to the site,great to have you join us. :waving:

I feel part qualified to answer your question,because back in 1978 I was in much the same boat as you, torn between two very different bikes, a GL1000 Wing and a Laverda Jota, a true crotch rocket of the day. They were selling for around the same money and I had the funds available for either. I was 22 years old and had a girlfriend who liked to passenger on bikes. I loved the look and sound of the Jota and was told they handled well as a sports bike, but I was eventually sold on the wing for the mile munching comfort that was second to none back then.

Once I bought the Wing, I added fairing and panniers/ saddlebags and loaded that baby to the gunnels, carrying everything but the kitchen sink. I know now that the Jota would never have given me the all round pleasure that the Wing gave me and would probably have required much more attention to keep her tuned right and certainly supplied with rear tyres!!!!:shock:

Fast forward 30+ years and I am still enjoying Wings having now got through 2 GL1000's, one 1100,a 1500 and now recently the 1800. They still satisfy my desires for comfort and yes even speed, after all the 1800 is no slouch.:action:

You and your wife have tried that Voyager and indeed the Wing and that are not so apart, except the Wings have moved on even further in the comfort and handling department. If you both enjoyed the experience of cruising/ touring about on that Voyager I doubt you would be disappointed with an 1800,which is supremely balanced and handles like a bike way smaller.

What is the worst scenario.... you buy the Wing and don't get on with it, so you just sell it again and go for that Hyabusa that is the other option, but I doubt that will happen.

Some folks go on about how Wings are "old folks bikes" well I can tell you I would be so sad now,had I waited until I was in my 50's to start riding them, I have 30 years of enjoyment of the various Goldwings under my belt and don't regret a minute of it!!!!:clapper::clapper:Age is immaterial, when you ride a Wing, anyone of any age can appreciate the experience it will give you.

So in summary, if you enjoyed the Voyager, you will absolutely love the Wing!!!!

Enjoy the forums and please visit often and let us know what you decide to do. Whichever you go for, there will be a warm welcome here.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and timely response!
The wife and I have stayed up much too late reading the tales of the last 2 Iron Butt Rallies and pouring over Goldwing material, after we read your response Silverfox we are sold! We're going headstrong for the GL1800!
Now new questions abound but there will be time for those in the morning, I must head to bed, 3 hours till work in the morning!
Edit: When I first posted I was under the assumption the GL1800s were much heavier than they actually were, at 900lbs that's only a couple hundred more than the bike I started on, and I'm certain very close, if not lighter, than the Voyager! I had thought they were much heavier, so that, quite thankfully, is no longer a concern!

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum iconchrono, from N.W. Missouri!

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromForestburg

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
imported post

Hi :waving:Welcome to the Forum from South Carolina. :15blue: Good luck on yourdecision. I can tell you from the passenger's prospective that thereis no ride like that ofa Wing. I have passengered on Harleys, crotch rockets, Kaws, Yamahas, andseveral Honda models and nothing brings theriding pleasure that being on the back of aWing does.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum iconchrono from a womens point of view your wife will like the wing best for confort.and when she has got used to it she will ask to ride her own wing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.