Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2001 wing with 98k+ miles on it. Other than the "usual" items what should I check or ask about. I will try to get the previous owner's name from the dealer.
Thanks.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I bought a high mile wing and loving it. Bought it in August and its going on 153,000 miles now. I did replace timing belts, brakes and rotors, all fluids, greased the driveline, replaced cruise and sub filters, plugs, and added my touches of chrome. I had no service records so replacing the above items now gives me a base knowledge. The rotors were below the service limit, so that was a must repair. The belts, plugs, filters and lube are cheap insurance.

May I ask what the asking price is? I had several upgraded parts done already, but I often wonder what fair prices are. I think about upgrading to an 1800 and have no idea where I should set my selling price.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
98k just means that it has been ridden and not just left to gather moss, so really with a Wing that is a good thing.
any service records you can get your hands on would be a good thing and as said, what has the dealer done to service it, especially if no previous records are with the machine.

Damage to the plastics are one of the expensive bits so if they are in good shape that will be a bonus. Filters and fluids are another thing to check have been done and that there is no rot setting in from the bike having been neglected. Other than that, brakes and rotors and if they are good to go, then so are you if the price is right!!

No need to let the Dealer think that 98k is not high mileage of course, he might as well live under the impression it is high!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Dealer should be able to look up the recal history to make sure that they have been taken care of in a timely manner. 01 had welds that needed work, electrical mods and brake issues. Dealer can tell you the status of those recalls.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Thanks for all your replys and info to look for. Dealer is asking $7,995.00. Does that sound high?
Not to me, but then again I am in the UK where it would be nearly twice that!!!:shock::sadguy:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Dealer was asking $6995.99 in August for my 1999 SE with 147,000 miles. I brought them down a lot and did the repairs I spoke of above.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Nope, not at all too high. There's one here on Craigslist with about the same mileage that was up for 8,600 simoleons for a while. He didn't get any takers so now it's at the local Honda shop for 9,600 bucks. If it hadn't been black I'd have bought it instead of the '06.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I'm looking at a 2001 wing with 98k+ miles on it. Other than the "usual" items what should I check or ask about. I will try to get the previous owner's name from the dealer.
Thanks.
Bought a high mileage.. 2001 135,000 miles.. love the bike ..as far as what to look for... all recalls done ? ..Maintenance records.. and work done on bike..
final drive ...I would not worry about that you can buy a low mileage one for about a hundred bucks ...drive-shaft the same
brakes... shifting.. especially getting it into neutral .suspension ..tires
$7,995.00 if all checks out is not a bad price

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
If all the maintenance is up to date and tires are good, then the price is ok. If you have to do any maintenance, air filter, oil, coolant change, brakes or brake fluid flush, final drive oil change, Steering head bearing, fork seals and suspension items, then I would start around $6500 and go up to maybe $7200, depending on these items, but no higher. Although for a wing, 98K miles isn't that much, it is quite a few miles that you won't be putting on the wing. If you could find a wing for $1500 to $2000 more with 30K miles and all maintenance done, to me, that would be the better deal. If you drive 15K miles a year, that gives you 4 extra years driving time before you reach 98K miles.

I purchased my 01 ABS for $9K with 37K miles and a list of extras that were added to the bike. I offered the guy $2000 less than he was asking due to maintenance items that he could not answer to and I would have to do like Tires, Fluid flush(s), Air filter etc....

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The miles are not bad at all, but I would be wary of buying an '01. I believe those were among the ones that had problems with cracked frames. I don't really see what Honda could have done to remedy that situation. I would not want a bike that has had the frame rewelded, new or used. I would at least check to see if that one was one of the affected models.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
For the very few that were found to have faulty welds, the frames were completely replaced, not re welded so no need to worry about that.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
For the very few that were found to have faulty welds, the frames were completely replaced, not re welded so no need to worry about that.
Glad to here that. First time I've ever heard about how Honda dealt with it. Many manufactures try to cover things up instead of fixing them right. Supposedly Honda simply staked the loose bearings in place on the models with defective wheels, rather than replacing the wheel.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Glad to here that. First time I've ever heard about how Honda dealt with it. Many manufactures try to cover things up instead of fixing them right. Supposedly Honda simply staked the loose bearings in place on the models with defective wheels, rather than replacing the wheel.
Which model had defective wheels/ bearings? :?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
i payed $7000 for a 97 SE with 58000 miles had a custom candy apple red paint and and custom ostrich quill seat covers

Now that I gotta see!!! :cheesygrin::dance:

Okay, I peeked into your "garage" and saw it, sweet!!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Which model had defective wheels/ bearings? :?
The '84 and '85 model 1200s for sure, possibly even the '83 1100. Honda had fixed the problem before the end of '85, by redesigning the rear wheel with a larger diameter steel reinforced hub. That's why the driven flanges between the '84 and most '85 models is different from the '86 and '87. Since they made the hub larger in diameter on the later model wheels, they had to make the flange retainer pin circle larger in diameter as well. As far as I know there was nothing wrong with the bearing, they just machined out the recess in the wheel where it goes too big for the bearing to fit properly, causing the bearing outer race to be loose in the wheel.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.