Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to look at a 93 today that has 57000 miles on it. I've read the "buying a used 1500" page but is there anything else I should be looking for? tires are fairly new and the battery is new. Asking price is 4700.
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum.

I would ask to see service records.

Ask when fork seals and oil, timing belts, brake and clutch fluids were changed.

One thing I would ask about is the alternator to see if it's been replaced. Your right at the mileage that the factory alternator starts to give people issues. Not that it will quit but mine went out at a little over 60000 and a friends of mine was at the same mileage range when theirs quit working.

Good luck with your purchase. Don't forget to post pictures of the new Wing if you get it. ;)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
hi jason. that's a pretty decent price for a 93 with only 57,000 miles on it. i have a 93 with 168,000 miles on it "black, the fastest color, hehehe" it has not given me any trouble what=so=ever. runs perfect uses no oil. when i decide to sell it if i keep the 2002 1800 i just bought i will be asking more then 4,700 dollars. not to happy with the 1800, the 1500 is a much better touring bike. i hear some people had a 4th gear tranny problem but that hasn't been the case with mine. also i think they said most of the time it happend to those that had a heel-toe shifter. if it checks out i'd hop on it for that price.

cyclepath

PS, my alternator needed brushes at 155,000 miles so i just replaced it with a compufire. this is my 5th wing. i haven't heard of anybody having alt. problems with at only 60,000 miles

Im going to look at a 93 today that has 57000 miles on it. I've read the "buying a used 1500" page but is there anything else I should be looking for? tires are fairly new and the battery is new. Asking price is 4700.
Thanks
Jason

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I would do all the maintenance anyway. Oil and filter change, coolant change, air filter, brake and clutch fluid, belts, and probably even tear the final drive and rear wheel apart and inspect and lube all the splines. You can tell by looking at it if the fork seals are leaking. There will almost certainly be something that needs fixing on a 20 year old bike. I would base my buying decision on whether you can handle your own maintenance and minor repairs, or would have to go to a shop. A shop can easily turn a $5000 bike into a $10,000 bike.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
Which model?
4.7K is pretty good for an SE, about right for an Aspy and pretty high for an Interstate.
And just because tires look "new" doesn't mean they're safe. You may want to look at the date on them. Then once you're down on the ground anyway, look for leaks in the rear shocks and final drive.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's an Interstate and I rode it home. A nice 45 mile ride. Front tire still has the knobbies on it. It has some issues with the directionals, temp gauge and the horn (a previous owner added lots of lights, and they don't all work). But I got it for $4000 knowing I would have to do some work on it. It ran great though and I'm going to have to get used to not having forward controls anymore.
Who makes the best service manual for it?
I'll post some pictures once I get the camera out.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen!!

Honda makes the best service manual. Claymers and Haynes are mearly OK.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Purdy! Fairly well BLING'd out, no doubt by a loving PO. Should give you confidence that maintenance was kept up too.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
You got a it for a good price...you can get your money back out of it for the next several years.
Enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.