Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1st time here. I have been considering the purchase of a used Gold Wing, no specific unit in mind yet but am wondering if there are any model years to avoid. If your not wanting to spend alot of money is there a mileage limit a person should be concerned about? Engine sizes increased over the years from somewhere around 1100 to at least 1800 now. Were they all good engines or is there anything about any particular size that may be worth avoiding or pursuing? I am just looking for some good general opinions. My use is very seasonal due to my northern Mich. location.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome sqdqo Pull up a chair and join in :waving:

Some real nice folks on here and there knowledge is endless:clapper:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

The newer the better. They all seem to run forever. 1800 is a rocket. many like the 1500 more for touring. Many like the look of the early "naked wings" It's all in what you want out of a bike. I like my 1800. Lookat my avatar to your left

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania! :action:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

theres good ones AND than theres neglected ones---money pit ones and so forth. but they ALL started out good ones. so take your pick. best of luck.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i have one of those neglected ones..... i'll sell it to you lol

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well maybe not ive done everything to it almost so i think i will keep it

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

All wings are good wings.....just depends on the condition the owner kept it in and it depends on your budget and mechanical abilities. The information contained herein is from my own experience.:action:

You will find the 1200 and up wings rather "bulky" at first, especially when most of your riding experience is with an un-faired bike. I started my "Wing" experience with an '851200LTD (I bought it in Nov.2006) and it took me a little while to get the hang of it. But after a good bit of practice, it was as easy to handle as many of the smaller bikes I have ridden.

The 1100 didn't fit me as I am 6'1" and rather heavy. I have a 34" inseam and I felt cramped on the 1100 (Test rode one for my brother, who bought a 1200:)).

I now have a 1500 and LOVE IT!! Going from a 1200 to a 1500 was about a 30 minute adjustment as it is a little bigger and alot more comfy for both my wife and I.

I have no experience with the 1800's or the 1000's.

Depending on the condition the Previous Owner (herein known as the PO) kept the bike in, will play a large part in the enjoyment for you. Wings like to be ridden, high mileage is a good thing most of the time. Regular maint is a must to keep them happy. Personally, I like the "needs a little TLC" kind of wing as I am a tinkerer. My 1200 was neglected for 2yrs and needed some things done to get her road worthy. I stole it for the price I paid! She ran great and was in rather decent shape cosmetically. Low mileage for an 85 (I think it was 18k) so it was a seasonal rider but the PO had owned it since 1988. I had it for 2 1/4 years and put 18k on her.

Bought my '90 1500SE (her name is Pearl) in Feb '09. 70k miles on her with minor problems. As stated before, I like to tinker and enjoy getting toknow my bike.I now have almost 80k on her and she runs great. She is a daily rider.

So I would say buy what your budget/mechanical skills allow and one that you don't feel cramped when riding. If you plan on 2up riding, I suggest a 1200 or 1500 (lean more toward the 1500 now that I have one:cheeky1:).

On a side note, I told the wife...."One day, I will be able to afford a Wing I DON'T have to work on". She replied..."Yeah right, you will have it toreapart within the first week!"

I do believe sheknows me pretty well!:cheesygrin:

OH...I forgot to add "Welcome To The World's Best Goldwing Forum!!"

Also I am sure there is a member close toyou that canhelp you out when you findone your interested in.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

I agree with Snorey, I have one of those neglected 1000's, a few on this forum will agree to that one. I love my 1000, but a few guys spoiled me by letting me ride a 1100 and 1200 (should've whined and cried for a 1500 ride). The one thing I do know is after riding one you will look like this for a while :cheesygrin:

And yes Snorebabe is correct, with in 2 hours of a new 1800 being parked under the carport, it would probably look like a Naked 1000. :D:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

One thing you may want to consider is that it seems to be hard(or near impossible) to find a dealer that will work on one over ten years old. If you're mechanically inclined, maybe that's not so much a problem. If you don't get in a hurry, there are a lot of great 1500's to be had at great prices. If they've been properly taken care of, you'll probably never wear one out barring an accident.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
imported post

Welcome from a fellow Michi-gander. This is a great forum, I've only been a member for a couple of months now but I've learned a lot. If you like dreaming and traveling visit the Long, lonely stretches link.

Much like you I am a newbie to the big bikes, althought I've been riding for years my first wing was and is 1200's, 85 and an 86 both Aspencades. Personally, I didn't find it that difficult to transition from a 900custom to a Goldwing. The heavier bike just requires more room to stop, turn and negotiate but not enough to cause any concerns as long as your pay attention.

As has been pointed out prior maintaince on any bike will determine the longevity of that bike and determine how much you need to put into it to keep it running. Before you buy find yourself a knowledgable individual and take them with you to inspect any bikes your find interesting. My experience has been that the 1200's will give you the best bang for the buck while giving you a really really good ride. Look around, you'll probably have to come down state to see a lot of the bikes for sale. Expect to pay in the 3-4K$ range for a 1200, 1500's will set you back another 3-4grand more.

Most of the bikes I found used have mileage in the 55-70K mile range, which really isn't much for these machines. From what I've learned you can expect in excess of 250K miles with proper upkeep and maint. Above all else, ask questions, look at service manuals and don't be afraid to question the seller about the bikes history.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions, I'll be up in your neck of the woods before long. PS, having a Michigan GW meet/greet /ride in June down by Oscoda.

PS: see my for sale ad for an 85 Goldwing for sale.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

MIne is a 1500...and I love it. BUt I have never ridden an 1800 either. IT had 17,000 miles on it. I have had it a year. It needed a good bit of TLC...everything worked but no PM had been done to it. I have changed all the fluids( bought a book) put on new tires. Had a blow out...put on another rear tire. and added a few safetyupgrades.We areheading out this weekend for an extended week long trip with my lovely Better half. I love it. There are lots of bikes out there. Test ride them . See what feels best to you. Welcome to the best site on earth. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks for all the much appreciated replies guys! I never jummp into anything of cost without thoroughly researching and being satisifed with my decision.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

One more question, when did these bikes go from carburated to fuel injected?

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

I let my budget dictate my purchase. Got my 1200 Aspy at a price you would not believe for a 'Wing with only 40K miles. Sure she needed work but I wanted to learn to work on her. You did the right thing by posting on the forum. The knowledge on here is endless and the diversity of opinions just help you to make an informed decision. Whichever 'Wing you decide on WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

sqdqo wrote:
1800's were the change to fuel injection. There was one other year of fuel injection but I can not bring that year to mind.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
sqdqo wrote:
1800's were the change to fuel injection. There was one other year of fuel injection but I can not bring that year to mind.
the 85 LTD and the SIE 86 were injected

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

YO Man this forumm is the best. You have made a good choice to post and ask here. A good friend bought a 1100 in sad shape and handed it off to me. I dont mind riding an older bike. This forum has brought me through alot of work tinkerin in the shop to get tis bike operational. Am dressing the bike up a bit with a few chrome dodads.just to personalize it a bit. Spend what fits the budget, keep a couple hundred in reserve pic a number 1100,1200,1500,1800, and dive in. With this forum and the people on it you cannot go wrong!! Nothing feels better than stopping at the store with a clunker and having people admire it. Bobalou;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.