Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife is looking into getting her own bike (after YEARS of threatening to take a crowbar to mine)...

She saw a picture of an 83 Silverwing that looked exactly like my 83 Goldwing, except smaller...

Would anyone out there know where I could bring her to at least SIT on one to be sure it would be a good fit for her?

Keep this in mind...She has NEVER OPERATED a motorcycle in her life. Before getting on the back of mine this spring, she hadn't even been ON one in about 25 years (first husband dropped his with her on it...'nuff said).

I just don't want her getting her hopes up on a Silverwing if she isn't going to fit on it properly...

I have also read mixed opinions on whether a Silverwing is a good 1st bike...Anyone care to share their thoughts on here???

Thanks!

Rick K.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Those old CX/GL 500's are great bikes. My first bike was a '81 CX500C. Engines and trannys are bulletproof. Simple to ride and maintain.

That being said, they are a little top heavy, especially when fully dressed as a Silverwing. Might take a little getting used to.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

If your wife is not AT LEAST 5' 6" I would not recommend a Silverwing as a first bike. It is quite top heavy and can be tricky with slow speed maneuverability. My 5' 9" son finds the Valkyrie easier to handle than the Silverwing was. I wouldn't recommend a Valk as a first bike either. Way too much power at your disposal. Think a Goldwing engine on steroids. There are lots of good bikes out there that have a much lower seat height which is a must for a beginner that is inseam challenged.

By the way, the reason the Silverwing looks like your '83 Wing is because they share the same fairing.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

+1 on the top heavy ... only bike I ever layed over and I'm 6'2. The Vetter dress was a little easier than the HondaLine ... other than that, bullet proof.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.