Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, I am still without a bike, however I found a low mileage 85 ltd at a good price (2500) that is being sold as a good running bike.
I have not seen the bike yet. the bike is two hours away and I am thinking about going to look at it tomorrow.
I am having second thoughts though, after trying to find parts for the fuel injection.
I have been reading up on the fuel injection and it seems that there are no new parts for the fuel injection :sadguy:. at least no major parts.
Is this true?? Is there a place I can get new parts such as injectors or ECU or what ever it used for the injectors. I understand that there are simple parts I can use and replace such as vacuum lines and such.
If the bike had major fuel problems could convert it to a carb bike with out to much trouble?

Any thoughts here or advice on getting parts other than used parts?
thanks in advance.
lee.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
There are a number of posts on this and there are parts that are compatible Honda car parts available at parts stores.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If it has been kept up and running and is running good that is a good price, if under 50,000 miles and has maintenance records.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply, I did find an old thread from 07 that was useful. I think I will let this one go to someone else. the bike is on e bay. it is located in ohio if anyone else is interested.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the add stated 35000 miles. I talked to the owner (second owner as I understand it) he stated that it runs great. when I ask about the normal stuff that is associated with the 1200s, he did not know of the problems and had not check anything like the wiring or the rear swing arm. I assume that he only rode it a little. After my last 1200 aspy, I was really looking at a 1500. I had to replace everything including head gaskets. however my pocket book is just to small at this time for a 1500 and the 1200 was very tempting.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Be careful. I have had an '85 LTD for the past 2 years. I did not get mine in good condition, so I needed a lot of parts. The fuel injection is a good overall design, but it has a lot of parts that deteriorate over the years, and no new parts are available. I tried ordering used parts, and they were no better than what I had. There are a lot of rubber parts on it, and they were all rotted. I had to fabricate several parts myself. Some car parts will work. I got lucky and all the electronics, including the ECU and the sensors worked. But I don't know for how long. I did not know much about Goldwings when I bought it, or I would have gotten a carbed model. When the FI works it works great. I have had a number of electrical problems mostly due to bad electrical connections. Last time I had no spark, and it took me almost 2 weeks to trace it to a broken connection inside the wiring harness that was not even shown on the schematic. Almost all my problems with this bike have been electrical. Best of luck with it if you get it. I'm already looking for a 1500 (with carbs)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.