Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

im looking for a small audio device that will let me hook in 3 audio inputs ( i.e.) my gps. siruis radio and an mp3 player thanks in advance for any help:waving:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

which you need is a mixer.. I have this one, PMIX-100.. It is a live mixer powered by 9 volts so it needs a little voltage regulator It is reasonably compact.. three stereo inputs, one line output plus headphones (I don't use).. Amazon sells it HERE

There are also passive mixers (require no power) but they will attenuate the signal by 3 to 6 db which may introduce some noise.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks guys for the info the one jim has looks like what im looking for do you get any cross interference between the devices when they are switched off and how big is it i didn't see any dimensions on the web page and did you say you dont' use the headphone jack or the mixer? thanks bill:waving:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Beaver Bill wrote:
thanks guys for the info the one jim has looks like what im looking for do you get any cross interference between the devices when they are switched off and how big is it i didn't see any dimensions on the web page and did you say you dont' use the headphone jack or the mixer? thanks bill:waving:
It is about 4"x6"x1" (guessing.. its out in the shop) and I am in the process of installling it, so can't say much other than I have the same problem you mentioned and this was my solution.. I'll use a LM317 to make a 9 volt regulator and put it inside the mixer box. and power it all off the accessories... Only problem I anticipate will be keeping RF from the CB at bay.. may have to put some RF chokes (beads) on the leads.. but that may not be an issue either. .. and the comment was that I don't intend to use the headphone output.. I'll run the line out into my inlne hardwired audiovox FM transmitter (I have a GL1500... no aux input).. Jim

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

okay now i understand i think im going to let you get your installed and see if it works but it looks like what i want i tried to build one but got bleedover to all of the jacks and tore it apart thanks bill:waving:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Okay.. ... but, don't be in a hurry.. its a winter project and I have until April to get it finished.. :waving:

Sounds like what you built might have been a simple passive mixer..just using resistors (or pots) to connect all the signals?..

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

The cell net one is a great little device ,Have a read of the specs on it ,Just tell them what bike it is for and you will get the interface connection ,it can be configured any way you like ,it w1ll play the music and when your GPS is talking to you it will mute whatever music device you have on ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

okay thanks for the info i think i'll check into the mixer that jim has thanks all:waving:

Beaver Bill

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,150 Posts
imported post

Beaver Bill wrote:
thanks guys for the info the one jim has looks like what im looking for do you get any cross interference between the devices when they are switched off
The answer to this question is an emphatic NO.

The mixer is comprised of independent operational amplifiers that have a common output connection. The inputs are totally isolated from each other.

This is a very common design in the industry of audio control.

IE, think of the audio mixer panel used by bands, disk jockey's, etc.... 20 or even 30 inputs all totally isolated from each other. It is the same principal, just has 4 inputs instead of 30.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well i understand that but i was not sure of the quality remember we supplied the equiptment for the calhoun get together i own a karaoke co with lots of hi grade systems i just wasn't sure how good this one is but from what iv'e been reading i think it will do the trick thanks for the input Bill:waving:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Beaver Bill wrote:
Well i understand that but i was not sure of the quality ...Bill:waving:
Well.. neither am I but the high end stuff with all the bells and whistles (like the stuff Kennedy makes.. as recommended above) would beabout $200, maybe more by the time you bought all of theextra connectors they want you to buy.. so I figured $30 was not too much to spend just to try a conventional audio approach..

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I agree with you jim on not spending an arm and a leg i think i will order one and add it to my winter projects :waving: thanks bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.