Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I/WE are looking for a exhaust for a GL1000 1978. We are helping a fellow ABATE member that is down on his luck, and are veryhumble people. Last April, we repaired his seat for him ......... I (with help from other abaters)were able to get some marine grade vinyl. ( Pearl White for the top, and black on the sides) off Fleabay. His seat was a king/queen seat and redone with these colors with a diamond stitch pattern. The work was donated to us by the local state prison inmates at their upholstery shop. The seat turned out very very nice. and they made a nice little backrest that went on the front of the vetter trunk.We were able to snatch the seat whilethe bikewas in winter storage away from his home. When wepresented it to him at one of our local meetings. He was absolutely speechless, and tears rolled down his face freely....... nothing more was needed to be said.

Now comes time for more assistance, his mfflers are shot with holes as large as quarters. I can't take any more of the roaring next to me while riding. The straight pipes on other bikes are bad enough.

Adrian and Pam are hard working people in ther upper 50's. They are both recently been put on a medical disability and are now living on a extremely low fixed income. Adrian has heart probs and Pam has been living on1/2 kidney all of her life.

Adrian is very proud of his 78 wing, he has owned it since new and has never wavered from his devotion to his trusty steed. They both love to ride, and with 175,000 miles on their wing it is obvious. It has been the only bike he has ever had. Although a newer bike is alluring, he will never be able to upgrade I am afraid. So, we are gonna fix this one for him.

If you know of a muffler that is in good running order please contact me with a price. I will then take my info to the rest of the body and see if I can get a collection up for it. It is a chrome muffler, not black, andI think a 77' or 78'' model is what we need.

Thank you in advance for your consideration to this matter.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

AWwwwwwwww hell........ I thought I wuz in the for sale forum. Maybe a Mod can fix this for me.

Thanx alot

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Dancin', search here for topics on using Harley OE take-off mufflers, might be able to find them fairly cheap and in great condition when someone upgrades off the showroom floor...

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Thats my suggestion as well . I have had a set of RoadKing mufflers on my 83 for several years . They work out quite well . Just a tad more sound than stock but no problems with carb jetting . I may be able to get some pics if needed to go that way .

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thank you for your replys fellows....
Yes......... I have read in past discussions about HD mufflers.... but thought they were refering to the short cigar type packs. After talking with Adrian the other day, I think his intentions are leaning towards maintaining the stock setup through-out the bike. (sort-of). Plus he would prefer a quieter system over-all. He did have a aftermarket system on it a few years ago that someone gave him. But, he said the centerstand would not come up as high as the factory ones , which inturn, caused the stand to drag on the ground occasionally in leaning corners. The dragging made Pam very nervous, so he put the factory exhaust back on. Which are now shot.

So, the Road King muffs adapt pretty well then? Any particular year? how does one support the muffs to the frame....... and, do they slip on and bolt to the honda head pipes then? A bigger HD muffler may be a option.... but the cigar type I don't think will fly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.