Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking for tent that would fit into my GL1500 side bag or trunk.

Need to be waterproof bottom, (free standing if hard ground) sleep 2 plus clothes for morning and things I don't want stolen if bike is tampered with.

Does one exist?

Do all tents require a ground sheet/barrier?

I can find plenty of tents but none so far that fit the above.

I'm looking for opinions from those that have one similar to what I need. Thank You

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

unless you wanna drop a small fortune into it it aint gonna be cheap, there is a thread on camping on one of the treads at the top has a bout a billion posts on this matter

good luck

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

No tent is going to be 100% waterproof. Not sure how much camping you've done, but where/how you position you're tent matters tons - a slight slope on the ground may seem insignificant when you set-up, but wait 'till it rains and water is streaming under the tent! Having your tent positioned under a big tarp helps a lot. As said above, lots of discussions about camping gear here - do a search. For my money, I'm too cheap to spend a bundle on a tent - mid-priced tents are good enough for me. Some good deals on tents & tarps here BTW: http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/Main.aspx

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I am unsure of what you'd consider to to be a lot of money...

I have a 2-person North Face Arrowhead I bought 15 years ago for 375.00. A similar tent now would be 600.00 or more.

As an old back packer, I would have to say that dollar to donuts it is very, very (I mean VERY) hard to beat the Eureka Timberline. The basic design has not changed in 30 years. (which is a bold testament to it's durability and versatility.) If you are so inclined, there is an optional vestibule which can be added.

See here: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40324

Cousin Jack and Dusty Boot could probably offer more commentary...

·
Premium Member
616 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

They are available at a modest cost. I have a cosy 2 person tent that fits my side bag. Once it's in I shift it up and slip in a sleeping bad, self inflating mattress , single burner Coleman stove and just for fun an espresso maker.

The tent has a fly but as needs to be pinned down to keep its shape.

The tent is packed away at the moment and I can't remember the make / model but allthe camping gear is in one bag.

However it is emergency camping gear and for roughing it only.

I think one has to distinguish between camping and tenting. To me camping is relaxing and enjoying the great outdoors. Tenting is using camping gearinstead of a Motel 6.

While I can enjoy camping, tenting is only a means to an end.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

a tent for me is a 29 dollar one from walmart ive had it for about 10yrs now heck of alot cheaper than 300 bucks on a tent

heck a plain old tarp will suffice used one many times as a tent

but then again 300 is alot of hotel rooms im not shy i do the hotel every chance i get hot showers, warm bed, a/c and heat tv mini bar

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Earlier this year after being told by my knees and back that it was time to ditch my little dome tent. After months of looking around and reading all of the great threads on here. I went with the Eureka Timberline 4 model.

Great tent, Plenty of room for 2or even more ppl,easy set up, packs up nice and neat. Without a compression sack it would fit in the trunk nicely, but with the compression sack itfits in the side bag with room to spare for other items.

As for being waterproof, it is great in the rain. The first seam up from the floor is approximately 2-6 inches (Do not have the tent with me so I cannot measure it) I made sure to apply my own sealant to all of the seams. I slept in some pretty heavy rains this summer and did not get wet at all. As for the ground barrier, I just felt more comfortable using itfor protection from any sharp rocks I had missed clearing outthen for water barrier since the first seam was up so far.

A lot of other great tents out there as well. Idaho Raider had a great tent from Eureka as well. I forget what model his was though.

Good luck in your choice. :waving:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Remember ... a cheap tent is exactly that ... Cheap! :gunhead:

If you plan on doing a fair amount of Moto Camping .... http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/70637.html

Or for more room, this 4 person one.

Always get the available custom footprint (ground cloth) made for the tent. Saves wear and tear on the tent's floor and it's waterproof coating, protecting your investment.

Vestibules protect the inner tent from getting wet in rain and offer a great place to store extra gear.

A tarp or two adds a lot of additional 'living space' (for minimal space/weight penalty) and will shelter your 'kitchen' areaduring inclement weather

Here's a shot of my 4 man in use. Packs up just a little bit bigger than the two man in the link above. Ideal for 2 people with ample room. (ask Winger77) With it, therainfly with two vestibulesand it's custom footprint are stuffedin a compression sac (with no poles) I can fit it in my trunk and and takes up about 1/3rd of available space. Poles will fit in the trunk. I don't know if they will fit in the side bags, as I've never tried them there.

Any further questions, PM me.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Learned a long time ago. Get a small tarp and put it on the INSIDE on the floor and cup it up the walls about 6 inches or a foot. NOT under the tent. You will never be wet from the tent underside again.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Remember ... a cheap tent is exactly that ... Cheap! :gunhead:

Vestibules protect the inner tent from getting wet in rain and offer a great place to store extra gear.

Gotta agree with DB, I used to have a low rent tent, but if you put a little more cash into it, you get something that will work better and last longer. If you are only going to use a tent once a year or less, I would say go cheap, but it you are really going to use it, especially on a Motorcycle then go for it.

One other thing, vestibules are a beautiful thing, especially when its raining.

If you read the posts on this forum regarding Tent camping, you will be well prepared for just about anything to fit your need.

thank you AGAIN Steve Saunders for this wonderful forum.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

So Bryan ..... we never really got talking about that new tent of yours once you got to try it out for a few days. Now that you have, how are you liking it? Anything that you really like/don't like? (besides the double doors/vestibules)

Dusty .... still ridin!

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

Hennessy Safari Deluxe. Hammock camper here and I love swinging to sleep.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.