Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello, there is 69,000 on the bike. I have a left side blown head gasket. I need to change the valve seals and timing belts at the same time. I will do both heads.

Questions, how do I know if I should do any thing to the cylinders also?

it should not need rings or anything also should it? How do I check for this before I start tearing it down? Would a compression test be accurate with a blown head gasket?

Thanks!

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Chances are it will be fine unless it's been sitting a long time.

That was the first thing I had to do to mine when I bought it.

I recommend reading all you can about the carbs, and carb cleaning if it's been sitting a while.

Good luck the headgaskets, belts and carbs aren't too difficult just double check everything.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks for the help. Actually been riding it for the last 30,000 miles so everything else OK.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
imported post

if it was running fine untill the head gasket, i wouldnt worry about the rings or anything in the bottom end. unless you just have extra time and money that needs to be spent. i would do as you planned, head gaskets and belts. adjust the carbs after and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

That is what I thought. Will removing the heads affect anything where the cylinder meets the case?

·
Banned
18 Posts
imported post

Here's the number from a guy in Houston that just told me few days ago that he has a bunch of head gaskets for sale and he was asking $25. His name is Dave and the number is 832-444-1969.

Since you are replacing the valve seals might as well lap the valves. It only takes 15 min. per head and the lapping paste is dirt cheap. I usually use a portable drill and I go slowly in both directions and you only need a few drops of paste per valve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.