Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all I just purchased a 1985 Aspencade with 6800 original miles and I need some input.

#1. I hardwired the stator wires and at just 6800 the plug and wires were already

showing signs of corrosion, should I do any other plugs ? What else should I look for?

#2. Speed sensor went out about 60 miles after I bought it, I pulled it off the wheel and

it had oil in it from a leaking fork seal, I spun the front wheel when I had the sensor off and the pin/shaft was turning so I am sure it is the sensor shorted out from the fork oil. Right ? LOL

#3. Carbs and all fluids were changed and cleaned rebuilt 2 years ago due to sitting and yep the carbs fouled up again but I changed the fuel filter and added some sea foam and it is getting better not perfect yet but very close, I looked in the tank and it is very clean except the sending unitor whatever those lines in the tank areseem to have some corrosion on the lines is this normal ?

#4. I got 2 matched painted helmets with the bike they are very decent but too small for me and the Mrs (sizes sm/med) they have the intercoms built in can I change the intercoms to different helmets and would the matched helmets be worth putting on ebay ?

I'm sure I'll have many more question in the future but I'll stop for now. Thanks in advance

for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
imported post

dont forget about replaceing the fuel lines, the sea foam cause the build up in the lines to come loose and clog the fuel filter and the filter on the floats if you have them

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Hi mclock,

I would advise looking over any plugs you can get your hands on, if no other reason than to know how they are. There are not any other plugs that have the reputation of that stator plug.

Not sure what to tell you about the speed sensor or the question regarding the helmet, those with knowledge greater than mine will address those questions.

There are other things I would greatly advise though.

1> If you don't know for a fact how old the timing belts are, replace them. If you have one go while it's running, you can lose your engine.

2> replace the oil in your hub and check the moly-lube where the hub connects to the driveshaft. Aftr time that will turn to wax and need to be cleaned out and replaced.

3> Apply a fresh coat of anti-seize to both the front and back axle rods.

4> Not knowing the history of the bike, has it been sitting a long time, how attentive the PO was, I'd advise looking over all the wiring and giving all the little nuts and bolts a once over, if no other reason than peace of mind.

And one more thing that I tell everyone who buys a used motorcycle, car or truck. As soon as possible, get a good repair manual for it. It's a used machine, it will have little to big issues that you can take care of yourself if you have the book and knowledge of the guru's here. That book will pay for itself, they always do.

I would also advise, unless you know the history of the bike and PO, that you put at least a couple hundred miles on it fairly close to home. A shake down time if you will.

Wings take a bit of TLC, but you give it to 'em, and they'll prove themselves a reliable machine.

Now, we are awaiting the obligatory pics:blowingup: to feast upon if you don't mind.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am also in the chicago burbs. Be happy to help out if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

yeah, the belts, if you dont have proof of the change, not just the po's word for it, proof. then a change is necessary

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am also in the chicago burbs. Be happy to help out if needed.

Really ? You sound like my new best friend, old buddy old pal. So when will you have time to help me change the timing belts, change the fuel lines and pull apart the carbs ? LOL

Thanks for the replies guys very helpful and appreciated and some things I never thought about. I really love this bike I don't know why but the 1200 was my first love and this is my 3rd one and I hope to have her for a good long time. I will have to get around to all of these things as best as I can and like many others finances are tight so if I really want to keep her tip top I'll have to learn to do a lot of my own wrenching.

Thank you all so much, John

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Hey! Just changed my timing belt and did Poor boy conversion on my 1986 Aspencade. If you have any questions I may be able to help. I live in the city of Chicago(do not know how close you are to the city). Nolan

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

mclock wrote:
wingsam41 wrote:

Really ? You sound like my new best friend, old buddy old pal. So when will you have time to help me change the timing belts, change the fuel lines and pull apart the carbs ? LOL

Thanks for the replies guys very helpful and appreciated and some things I never thought about. I really love this bike I don't know why but the 1200 was my first love and this is my 3rd one and I hope to have her for a good long time. I will have to get around to all of these things as best as I can and like many others finances are tight so if I really want to keep her tip top I'll have to learn to do a lot of my own wrenching.

Like I said happy to help if you are stuck etc. I like to ride early on the weekends-can always swing by if you need a hand. Also know of a good mechanic in the Westmont area in case you need something done you don't want to tackle yorself

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Bluestarwing wrote:
Hey! Just changed my timing belt and did Poor boy conversion on my 1986 Aspencade. If you have any questions I may be able to help. I live in the city of Chicago(do not know how close you are to the city). Nolan

Nice to know, I hope I don't need the poor boy anytime soon but I may have to change the timing belts.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
mclock wrote:
wingsam41 wrote:

Like I said happy to help if you are stuck etc. I like to ride early on the weekends-can always swing by if you need a hand. Also know of a good mechanic in the Westmont area in case you need something done you don't want to tackle yorself
Thanks so much for your offer, I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

scotthohio wrote:
check out my fork seal tutorial if you plan to replace the seals yourself.
I wish I would of had the confidence to do it myself, I had it done at Honda and paid through the nose and now I realize I will have to do or try to do most of the up keep myself because I just can't afford the dealer prices.

I think all of you guys that go out of your way to help others and post these instructions are A number one in my book. Thanks for all you do ! John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.