Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 05 gl1800 and have used OEM pads for many times over the years and like their good performance.
But they are pricy,I want to try a better option than the OEM for the coming spring.
Where to get cheap brake pads for gl1800 ?
I am a daily rider and want to have less dust and tear on brake rotors.
Thank you.

·
Administrator
24,826 Posts
There is no such thing as cheaper and better. I found some Vesrah pads once for a good price, they are the same thing as OEM, but the next time I needed some the price was the same as OEM.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well for inexpensive parts try Amazon! A quick search there showed a set of 6 pads (all 3 wheels) started at 15.00
Regardless of what everybody days about buying the best, or the most expensive or what ever else they write... I purchased a set of 6 pads for my 1200 Aspencade for about 15.00 and they have worked great for a year now. These are Carbon fiber

Sintered metal pads are available as low as 13.00 for a set of 6 pads on ebay

I would use either but lean towards the carbon fiber because I think the sintered metal cause more wear on the rotor. For my style of riding the one i got for 15.00 work great!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've added 90k miles to my 2002 wing and only used 3 sets of OEM pads. I haul a heavy trailer on long trips totalling well over 20k. I've been well serviced with OEM pads. Last year I replaced my rotors and pads, all OEM, so my 2 cents would be 130k on rotors and over 30k miles on a set of OEM pads seems to justify the cost. Cintered pads will eat rotors much faster as well. IMHO spend the money.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I tried some highly recommended pads on my '85 once, they blued my rotors. I soon replaced with ...
OEM.

Bluing went away.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The OEM pads is the best choice for an GoldWing , they are sintered , give good stopping power , last long and are nice on the rotors .
I have seen some aftermarket pads "eating" the rotors wery fast and the rotors are EXPENSIVE.
Yep, lots of posts on this subject on all the Gold Wing sites. The OEM pads are the best. They don't leave much dust and are easy on the rotors. The guy I bought my 88 off of used non OEM pads on the rear. Lots of dust and the rotor is at it's limit with only 77K miles. And he replaced it once already before I bought it! I just replaced them this past spring with OEM pads.

My 2012 has had only OEM pads. 55K miles with a lot of it stopping a 500 lb. trailer. I have replaced the pads once and the rotors still look like new. Very little wear.

Sign up for the sale E Mails at Honda Direct Line. They have a good sale on OEM pads over the winter. I have not been paying attention this year because I have a set sitting on the shelf now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used EBC brand sintered pads. Not much brake dust at all. Kevlar and other materials may produce less brake dust but sintered pads provide best stopping capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts