Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After an accident with a big black bear and my minimum insurance not covering comprehensive damage I am still clinging to the small hope of being able to fix my bike (on a budget).
I only think this would be realistically possible if I can get hold of some wreck or hurting bike with the parts I need, such as a flood claim bike or something.
Help, anybody have any ideas.
:praying:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

Saddle bags should be fairly common from trike conversions . I would suggest checking with trike dealers/installers , along with watching ebay .

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Ona...Prayer, I didn't think of trikes but my eBay searches, having stuck mostly to .ca, didn't net to much, looking mostly for wrecked bikes anyway.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Sorry to here about your accident DigiWinger. I will keepan eye out for ya and let ya know if or when I find something.

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

Where did ya whack the Bear? Up North near Parry Sound by chance? We had a close encounter on Hwy 69 with one.

Where you injured?

Can I suggest you make a list of what you need for parts and perhaps some members will have access to those needed parts or know where they may be available.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the link Ona...Prayer, I'll keep them in mind but for now I'm hoping/shopping for a whole salvage bike if its possible.

Hawggy, Actually the bear ram'd me from the right side, just leaving Sudbury, ON (11pm, under cover of dark). Besides cracked ribs and scrapes/cuts, police officer said I was fortunate to walk away as he typically sees it turn out worse. Bike and bear not so good, it died in minutes.

List: Front fender, head lights, front and side fairings, both fans/rads, both shelters flanking gas door, both taillights and saddlebags, deal with slightly bent fork and misc. fasteners/connectors and wires. "Hopefully sounds worse than is"

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Chance of finding a salvaged complete bike is slim and it's more than likely that you will pay more than the cost of parts for the repairs.

I went through http://www.HDLParts.com and saved a bundle on replacements for my rebuild as compared to going through a Cdn dealer over 55% in fact.
the Cdn dealer couldn't touch the US prices claimed the prices were less than their costs.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Was sorry to read that you had a run in with a bear DigiWinger, I do hope that you are able to rectify the damage without too much trouble and expense.
:waving:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Silverfox, I'm hoping the same because from this point it looks like long uphill haul.
Mr Fix it, thanks for that input as it gives me a better real life perspective. Considering I have been "dreamin" of getting that (just right) salvage bike for $3-5k because I need odd/ends, clips and connectors, etc. do you really think it would be cheaper buying all I need separately, even sourcing from U.S.?

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

DigiWinger wrote:
Thanks Silverfox, I'm hoping the same because from this point it looks like long uphill haul.
Mr Fix it, thanks for that input as it gives me a better real life perspective. Considering I have been "dreamin" of getting that (just right) salvage bike for $3-5k because I need odd/ends, clips and connectors, etc. do you really think it would be cheaper buying all I need separately, even sourcing from U.S.?

Everything in the States is cheaper for the Bikes..I try to buy everything I need for our Bike when in Florida for the winter...

You can have it shipped to a dropoff warehouse, availablein all border locations..IE: Fedex will hold it for ya for a nominal charge. You then go over to the States..Pick it up and bring it back in..Absolutely Declare it and if the timing is right ( Good Borderguard)they wave you through..You don't pay the HST.

When buying online you usually pay no tax and shipping is so much cheaper in the States than here..Places like Cyclemax in Ohio ship for free if order is over so much $ and no tax on the sale.

Price it out and see the difference.

If you find some used parts down in Southern Florida on your searches and can wait till the Spring to get them..I will, if possible, pick them up for you and bring them back. Plus, I have several Buddies throughout Florida that would be willing to help on your parts search in that State..Mike ( Onawingandaprayer) is one of them.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks Hawggy, I appreciate your friendly offer and that bit about the "dropoff warehouse" which I never knew. I'll also be checking Cyclemax.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.