1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi, Folks
=========

I've been enjoying my older Yamaha Venture (1992) and am considering getting my first brand new big cruiser. Will purchase a new bike next year as this has been a terrible summer, weather-wise, and most of the "summer" is gone. ;-)

I've narrowed the choices to:

* Vision Tour Premium

* Honda Goldwing

* Yamaha Venture (2010 version, with updated V-4 engine)

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'd appreciate comments and opinions from current Goldwing owners who've previously owned the Vision or the Venture.

Are the Goldwings from the new factory in Japan any better, or any different?

Any product problems or regrets after purchasing your Goldwing?

Any surprises? (Both positive and negative)

Lessons learned? (Example: would you have purchased a different GW model than the one you bought?)

Also, I'm a bit tall, at 6'3". Is this a comfortable bike for a tall rider.

Thanks in advance for your input

-- David

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

My advise would be to go test ride all three and make your own decision. I own an 1800 and think it is the best handling big bike ever made with more guts than most, but probably predjudiced because that is all I own at the present. My only complaint of the 1800 is that there could be less leg bend while riding but I am also 6'4".

And by the way

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

I rode Harley's for 20 years. Last year I bought a 2006 Wing. As many will say on this site, if you ride an 1800, or any Wing for that matter, you will buy one. I have riddena 1500 and my 1800. Both are quite responsive, but I prefer the 1800. It handles very sporty, much more so then you would think possible for a big tourer and it is just as surprisingly quick, plus very comfortable. All the accessory controls are well thought out.

I am 6'2". my height is more in my torso than legs. If you are 6'3" you need to test drive a Wing. Especially if you have more of your height in your legs than torso. I suggest renting one for a day and putting some serious miles on it. Go ride out a tank of gas like you are on a trip. The ONLY drawback I see in the Wing and the 1800 is it is kind of close quartered. I rode mine over 900 miles in the first two days without highwaypegs. As soon as I arrived at my destination I bought highway pegs. On the way home I did an 800 mile day and with the highway pegs it was much better.

I also have a Utopia backrest, so between that and the pegs, no complaints.

I think tall riders can be comfortable on the Wing but that is the only drawback - I could use a little more room.

You can't go wrong with a Goldwing it is a the best tourer on the market and sporty on top of that.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
My advise would be to go test ride all three and make your own decision.

+1.

My 1500 fits me better than an 1800 because I'm tall; it also offers more storage room. It's not as gutsy or agile in the hard turns as an 1800, but then I bought it to tour, not to ravage the countryside...:dude:Make no mistake however, when you twist the throttle, all 92.7 cubic inches are there...:cool:1500's are no longer made (model year 2000 was the last) but your research should include "quality, pre-owned units" if you'd like to coddle your wallet...:)

I've workedfor Polaris/Victory. I own a Goldwing for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the Vision styling (Star Trek meets Jules Verne and an illegitimate child results:?)(My opinion of course, but widely held). The "love it or hate it" factor can be crippling on trade/re-sale. Added to that is the fact that finding service for Victory is not an easy chore, particularly in the more scenic touring areas of the US. The economy has been particularly hard on the high end bike dealerships, and Polaris has only been churning out motocycles for 10 years. Not a problem if you keep it close to where you bought it however. And, as a footnote, Victory is comprised of as many foreign parts as US (in fact the Marysville Goldwings probably contain less foreign parts than either HD or Victory...)

Can't address Kawi; never driven any of their tourers.

Good luck in your research.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
imported post

Ride all 3 to see which one you like. For me the Wing was no contest. liquid cooled,shaft driven ,flat 6 fuel injected made for cruising all day. But being 6ft 2in I wound up getting a seat that moved me up an inch and back 2 inches for more legroom and when I bought the bike I made sure I had highway pegs installed.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,517 Posts
imported post

If you go for the gl1800, I would suggest looking at the Mick-O-Pegs

Very versatile, and they let you put your feet down lower and forward. I was able to stretch my legs out almost straight when I set on a bike with them. That was Mr. Mick's himself...

If you look real close, you can see Mick showing off his highway pegs on his bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.