Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
my dad and i use ratchet straps, come alongs, and cherry pickers to lift up bikes sureeeeee we could do it safe and have a sturdy platform like a jack

but then life would be dull and unintresting just cuz i only got 8 fingers i got a story for the missing 2 lol
Hey, I only have 8 fingers too!

and 2 thumbs! :waiting:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

i purchased a jc whitney motorcycle jack rated at 1500 lbs, used it once with the help of two sissor jacks to get it up high enough to remove rear wheel, on the way down the jack bucled and if not for the sissor jacks catching it it would have gone over. one of the bolts bent, looks like light metal or alluminum.

i have been pondering trying an engine houst next time.

when using a motorcycle jack i worry as the only place to put it you are lifting with the exaust as they are lower than the frame.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I bought my first bike jack to work on my 1200SEi. I ended up with two jacks when I was rebuilding neglected 1100s for resale. Both jacks got a lot of use on all models of Goldwings from neglected ones with rotted exhaust systems to nearly new 1800s. I've always put them on the jack the same way, slip the jack under the bike and up it goes. There's never been any damage to the exhaust headers under the bike. Never came close to dropping a bike either.

When removing a wheel from a bike on the jack I blocked up or put another jack under the tire that wasn't being removed. This compensated for the unbalance removing a wheel caused. I've often moved Goldwings around with them on to jack to turn the bike around or just move it to another location in the shop. Never had a single problem. Never found a need to strap them down on the jack either for that matter. If the bike is put on a jack unbalanced or moved in a jerky manner strapping it to the jack isn't going to make much differerence anyway the jack will still tip over. With normal, cautious use there's little chance a bike will be damaged using one of these jacks.

If you happen to be a total Klutz maybe you'd be better off working on the floor. You can change a wheel on the centerstand even the front wheel if you use a small jack under the front of the engine with the bike on the centerstand.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I use a Harbor Freight Jack (Yellow & Black). Great jack, no problems in the 2 years I have had it. Bike generally sets on the jack all winter, while I work on the restoration work.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sans the eye candy that Black Widow jack looks exactly like the HF one. Be interesting to know where it's made.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

thumper1963 wrote:
I'm looking to buy a motorcycle jack fo my 95 gl1500 and I'm not sure which one to get. Are they all the same, or are theredifferent ones for goldwings?
Just got the one from Harbor freight for 59 bucks with the super Coupon and lifeted the bike seems to work just fine and pretty well built.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.