Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the chrome ring that goes around the head light on the fairing but not the ring that holds the light in.Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
The '75 GL1000 never came from the factory with a fairing, so you have an aftermarket fairing on your bike. Do you have any idea who made it? Makes a big difference... A picture helps quite a bit....

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a windjammer fairing,I'll try to post some pictures as soon as i figure out how,I'm not computor savey,I know just enough to get me in trouble.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Craig Vetter suggests looking to eBay for parts that he himself cannot supply.

There are currently 16 or more trim rings on eBay right now.

...as low as $11.99 + $8.75 shipping (or best offer)

Hint: ...offer $$15.00 shipped. It might happen.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
I'm looking for the chrome ring that goes around the head light on the fairing but not the ring that holds the light in.Any help is appreciated.
Do you mean the eyebrow trim like in this picture? I may have one. I'm parting a 1979 GL1000 bagger.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
i will take that peice if the OP doesnt. buy or trade.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Now I know what you mean. I was looking at the Calafia fairing I have today and there is indeed a chrome ring surrounding the light.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Picture, picture, picture...... The chrome trim ring on the Vetter Windjammer also holds the headlight in the bucket. Maybe you have a different fairing?

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
In Houston Texas there is a breaker that had the last time I was there, had about 20 fairings of almost every style Vetter made, Califia, and a couple I couldn't put name to...Unioncycle salvage...713-643-1020...

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Here is what my Calafia fairing looks like.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Is there a tab at the 6:00 position of the light for a screw to go into??

The set up looks similar to mine. Certainly has space for a trim ring. Do you know what the fairing brand is?

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes there is a screw at the 6:00,and it looks like a spot at 12:00 for the ring to hook into

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I should add that the measurment from 3:00 to 9:00 is 9.5 inches,and thats from the fairing not the headlight

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
That's a Vetter Windjammer III
Trim rings are abundant.

A guy just posted parts for Vetter fairings a couple threads from this one. He has two fairings, a trunk and some Bates bags. See if what he has is good enough.

eBay is full of headlight trim rings.

Factory headlight trim rings are what is used on Vetter WJ-III fairings.

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey captin I talked to that guy tonight but wasn't sure if it would work I was told that the fairing with the blinkers built into the fairing were smaller,also his says windjammer III,mine just has windjammer on the side,I have to hand it to the people on this forum,ya'll have patience with us novice

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Yep - with a Vetter, you take the factory headlight and move it to the fairing.
Most GL's with Vetter fairings still have the headlight buckets attached with the fairings plug wiring tied into the bucket wiring. Rarely would anyone remove the bucket, thinking that the bike might get sold without the fairing someday.

Most headlights were the same size, ...so most trim rings are the same size. Most attach in the same way as another; Honda to Yamaha to Suzuki to Kaw. Within a handful of years of each other.

Jap-bike manufacturers of the late 70's, early 80's sourced much of their components from the same outside sources. Not every little bit and piece was built in-house. Speedometers/Tachometers are a good example. Internally, from one big bike to the next, there is not much difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.