1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Goldwing GL1200I
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have been asking around locally by me but am getting no where
For my poor boy Crank bolt I need this thing to be custom-made to the way I'm thinking I want to do this

I am thinking I would like a shoulder bolt that the threading on the end is 28 mm long which is the maximum that will fit in the crankshaft . It is an M 12 by 1.25 pitch, the bolt itself I have not calculated yet the total length but under the bolts head I want spleen teeth on that and then I need a 3 inch or 3 and 1/4 inch 3 rib pulley that has spleen teeth in the center hole so that I can slide this onto the Bolt and lock it into the spleen teeth on the bolt under the head and maybe have a little niche as a secondary on the bolt so i could screw in a tiny allen wrench screw into that niche as a secondary locking mechanism because this will then turn on the crankshaft which turns the belt which will turn the alternator for the poor boy set up that I'm trying to do. so my question is I am trying to find a place in America that could make such a thing whether be a private machinist or a shop because it seems like everybody's telling me I can have custom parts made but nobody around my area knows where and I called up different motorcycle places and car places and most of the car places won't even touch me because it's not worth their time and the motor cycle places do not make parts custom,
so can anybody out here in Goldwingdoc land give me a suggestion

Thanks
DJ

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Google machine Shop and your city or Custom Machining and your city. It should not be that hard but you will have no luck at motorcycle places. They just don't have the equipment.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
IS your concern that the ribbed pulley will slip on the bolt ? That should not be an issue. Make sure your bolt is the correct length so that it does not bottom out before it compresses the pulley.
If you still feel the need to be certain it turns with the crank, perhaps you can drill thru the ribbed pulley and into the cogged timing belt pulley. Then put a dowel pin to connect both pulleys.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
#1, the word is spline.
#2, you are probably not going to find a machinist to make a 1 off bolt like that for a reasonable sum.
#3, the machinist probably would not be able to harden the bolt sufficiently
#4, this is NOT goldwingdocs.

Reactions: RambozoClown

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think your over thinking this. It’s an alternator, not a timing belt needing to stay in time with the crank. That little alternator can’t generate enough torque to fear failure of the mounting hardware.

·
Toolmaker
34 Posts
I think your over thinking this. It’s an alternator, not a timing belt needing to stay in time with the crank. That little alternator can’t generate enough torque to fear failure of the mounting hardware.
I made a pulley that worked fine, It was turned out of alumiumn,turned a belt groove then a shank to 1.375 dia, long enough to clear the timing belt covers. then turned a smaller shank that fit the inside of the timing belt pulley. I then cut a slot in this small shank that would engage the key in the crank shaft. the bore was made to fit the bolt in the crank. I bought a longer bolt to replace the original one. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I made a pulley that worked fine, It was turned out of alumiumn,turned a belt groove then a shank to 1.375 dia, long enough to clear the timing belt covers. then turned a smaller shank that fit the inside of the timing belt pulley. I then cut a slot in this small shank that would engage the key in the crank shaft. the bore was made to fit the bolt in the crank. I bought a longer bolt to replace the original one. Hope this helps.
You should post a picture of it if you can. That may help A LOT!

·
Registered
188 Posts
And i had a friend make an adapter for my pulley and cut a push fit hole in the pulley. A little locktite and a vise press and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1984 Goldwing GL1200I
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mentioned the timing belt pullies only as a reference as to where the pulley that will turn the alternator will go. The same bold that goes into the timingbelt pullies..but anyway. So i can just have the pulley on the bolt, a spacer so it sticks out just far enough past the timing belt cover and tighten the bolt down so pressure is out on the pulley and that will make it stay on the bolt without freespining? That pressure will keep it spinning so it will spin the alternator?..yes I am new at tryong to get this to work so I appologize if i sound stupid.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
No need to feel your intelligence is in question. We do not all use the same terminology and so it we all have to come to understand each others words.
The pulley should not slip if you have your spacer and total bolt length calculated .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts