Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
doubt you can find the original "stripes" nowadays,you might contact someone locally that installs them,alot of car dealerships have people that do it or contact a local paint shop
auto parts stores sell all kinds and sizes of 3M pinstriping that you can apply yourself in all colors and sizes,i'm sure a local O'Reillys or Napa store in your area can help,maybe not in stock but available thru their local warehouse

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
585 Posts
I just rattle canned my bike and bags. I found the striping that matches exactly at the Hobby shop.

Postripe
R320106 bright gold mt
5/16 " x 40' 7,94mm x 12,19mm
DORE VIF MET DORADO BRIL MET

made in usa

To do the curves you cut the top skin at the bend and go from there. one stripe is a little bigger than the other. Perfect match on what was on there originally.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
I just rattle canned my bike and bags. I found the striping that matches exactly at the Hobby shop.

Postripe
R320106 bright gold mt
5/16 " x 40' 7,94mm x 12,19mm
DORE VIF MET DORADO BRIL MET

made in usa

To do the curves you cut the top skin at the bend and go from there. one stripe is a little bigger than the other. Perfect match on what was on there originally.
Can you expand a little on what you mean by "cut the top skin", do you mean a slice through the width or taking the top surface off or what? Interested to hear how you achieved good bends. :)

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
585 Posts
The stripes come side by side with a self adhesive. You peel the back off to stick the tape where you want it. After both stirpes are in place then it has a top layer skin (this is the part mother honda did not take off causing our panels to peel) to peel off. In order to go around the fender or a curve I placed the two stripes in a straight lie to the point of the curve. Then I cut the two stripes apart so both have the back and top still covered by the protective covering ( keeping the tape from sticking) Then I would take the backing off one stripe and place it exactly where I wanted it. Then I would go back and do the second stripe where I wanted it. To go around the curve I only did about a 1/4 inch at a time.

One pkg did my entire bike =bags, side panels ,fenders, trunk and still had a little left over.

After I put the stripes on and since I just painted everything I sprayed 3-4 coats of clear coat over the striping and paint.

Pics attached of what I did.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Nice job Wilcoy, love the finish on the badges too, they look like new. :claps:

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.