Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got a very intersting proposition. A friend of a friend is looking to sell his '82 GL 500 for dirt cheap ($200). I've always had a facination with that moto-guzzi style twin in a small goldwing-ish package. I'm seriously considering it.

Now, the reason for the post, I love the bike and have always wanted one, but I really don't know anything about them. I know there a few fellas here who do or have owned the GL 500's/CX 500's, so I'm hoping to get some advice on common problem areas to look at so I know exactly what I'm getting into.

Any help is appreciated (just know that you'll be furthing the spread of the dreaded MBS).:action:

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

I owned a GL500 1st street bike and my ex had a CX 500 her first also. Great bikes for the beginner or for a around town bike. The GL will handle the interstate as well as long as it's not overloaded. They are tall bikes for their displacement and shorter riders may have some problems. Other than that keep the fluids clean and the valves adjusted and they will go for ever.

·
New Guy
791 Posts
imported post

my wife had one in the late 80's, nice bike. iirc, there were some rumors floating around about water pump / radiator / cooling issues, but they never surfaced with her bike.

here's a gl500 forum you may want to rinse through / ask questions.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Sweet, I'll have to spend some time digging through that forum. This bike would basically be for fun, I've been riding my wing to long to go back to a small bike for daily use, but it could be a fun little toy on the weekends.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

There is also a gl500 secstion over at naked wings site.
I would love to have one two. I think they would make a great commuter bike. a little more city friendly than a wing.
wilf

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
its a very capable bike.
UBarW, I had the twin to that bike!

It was a very nice bike, did everything I wanted. It did at times feel a bit under-powered, but honestly at the time I also had a CBR1000 Hurricane so it was probably unfairly judged. Very well mannered though.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

My Dad had a full dress SW back in the early 80's and never had an issue with it. Rode it several times from NJ to Key West Fl and never even a hicup.

For $200, how can you go wrong?!?!

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Try the new Silverwing..... You go to an automatic, you might never go back. I never understood why Honda recycled the Silverwing name with a scooter. The Silverwing was a fine road bike.

Here is my bike with the new adjustable windshield and the ram setup.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Are we talking about one like this?

And would you believe I sold that sweet thing? But I replaced it with a Valk, so not too bad. MBS is incurable!

For $200 you can't go wrong. Check your PMs. I sent you a document on how to REALLY check a GL/CX500 to know what you're getting. Steering head bearings (easy change to tapered) and cam chains (not so easy to replace but easy to maintain) are 2 of the things to be aware of. Other than that - ride it like you stole it! They really are virtually indestructible.

Let me know if you get it and I'll forward you a bunch of docs I have regarding repairs/maintenance, including a digital version of the Honda Service Manual.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I don't know if I could do a scooter, even a beast like that one, just not my "style" :)

Thanks for all the info, with all the goodies wpgfire sent me I think I'm ready to rock. I'll be going to look at the bike probably, maybe, this weekend. It's 250 miles away :shock:, but for $200 I still thinks it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Both my brother and I had the '82 Silverwing ... he had the full Hondaline package and I had the Vetter. Both were a lot of fun but I found his to be even more top heavy than mine. Of course he had the hard bags and trunk and I had to go aftermarket, but I swear that Honda fairing was a heavy beast.

Pat

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

My wife and I flew 1300 miles to pick ours up. Rode it home 2up from Ohio. Nice mini-vacation. Worth every penny.

And we're with you on the new Silverwing. My son, 18 at the time, hated it that Honda called a scooter a Silverwing. Said it was like Ford putting out some little sub-compact hybrid and calling it a Mustang. :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

I had an '81 CX500C. Awesome bike and damn near indestructible. Very quick, but not fast. 0-60 in a heartbeat, but wouldn't cross 85 b/c of gearing. Great around town bike. The GL650's were really awesome. Baby GoldWings, but a little top heavy fully loaded.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

GW was one of the wife's first Hondas, very pleased with it and not a bit of problem.

She now has a 750so must have learned well on the GW>

For $200, if it is good running condition, can't see how you would go wrong.

Polkwing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.